The Student Room Group

Pissing off my psychiatrist

I've been seeing a psychiatrist recently. At almost every appointment I'll openly disagree with him, even if I agree with. I'll just debate whatever he tells me. Other times I will borderline insult him, or be passive aggressive.

In spite of this, I respect him immensely and do like him. I don't have the same argumentative attitude problem with any other doctors or mental health professionals. I suspect there's some transference between me and my psychiatrist. He has said numerous times that he prefers working with me over his other patients, so I can't be that bad.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it?
Original post by Anonymous
I've been seeing a psychiatrist recently. At almost every appointment I'll openly disagree with him, even if I agree with. I'll just debate whatever he tells me. Other times I will borderline insult him, or be passive aggressive.

In spite of this, I respect him immensely and do like him. I don't have the same argumentative attitude problem with any other doctors or mental health professionals. I suspect there's some transference between me and my psychiatrist. He has said numerous times that he prefers working with me over his other patients, so I can't be that bad.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it?
what diagnosis are you seeing him for?
Reply 2
Original post by Little Popcorns
what diagnosis are you seeing him for?

Depression and PTSD. If it helps, he says I don't have a personality disorder.
Reply 3

I have a couple of personality disorders and I don't get angry with my psychiatrist to his face, although I really don't like him, so that has nothing to do with it :laugh:

I think this is a case of you needing to hold back a little. You say you argue with him even if you agree. What is it about him that makes you want to argue with him?
Reply 4
Original post by Airmed
I have a couple of personality disorders and I don't get angry with my psychiatrist to his face, although I really don't like him, so that has nothing to do with it :laugh:

I think this is a case of you needing to hold back a little. You say you argue with him even if you agree. What is it about him that makes you want to argue with him?

I know some patients with personality disorders may be more "difficult" in their relationship with mental health professionals. This is said to be the case for many BPD sufferers, who push and pull emotionally.

I think he reminds me of aspects of my father. I was close to my father as child but he was disappointing and a let down. Sometimes I'd just piss my father off for the lols. It feels a bit of the same with my psych maybe?
Reply 5
I know some patients with personality disorders may be more "difficult" in their relationship with mental health professionals. This is said to be the case for many BPD sufferers, who push and pull emotionally.

I think he reminds me of aspects of my father. I was close to my father as child but he was disappointing and a let down. Sometimes I'd just piss my father off for the lols. It feels a bit of the same with my psych maybe?

Yeah, I have BPD, but that's not always the case. We're not just statistics.

Hmm, sounds like it.

I think he probably just likes the fact that you're getting frustration out of your system and you could be right about the transference thing maybe he sees a lot of himself in you and that's why the realtionship works for him. Maybe he knows more about the healing process than you do and maybe your behaviour is part of a trajectory he recognises. Ask him what he makes of your behaviour.
Reply 7
Original post by Airmed
Yeah, I have BPD, but that's not always the case. We're not just statistics.

Hmm, sounds like it.

Sorry if I offended you :frown:. I didn't mean to categorically label you. Hence why I said "some" etc. My psych said he didn't like working with his BPD patients, and he said that that's one of the reasons he preferred working with me. Sounds bad I know.
Reply 8
Sorry if I offended you :frown:. I didn't mean to categorically label you. Hence why I said "some" etc. My psych said he didn't like working with his BPD patients, and he said that that's one of the reasons he preferred working with me. Sounds bad I know.

Sounds like your psych doesn't like PDs. :/ But at least he likes working with you. However, I don't think he will be patient with your arguing forever!
Reply 9
I think he probably just likes the fact that you're getting frustration out of your system and you could be right about the transference thing maybe he sees a lot of himself in you and that's why the realtionship works for him. Maybe he knows more about the healing process than you do and maybe your behaviour is part of a trajectory he recognises. Ask him what he makes of your behaviour.

I think your partial explanation is correct. My psych says that my anger is from my childhood, in particular from my parents (who were never there or were abusive). So he says he doesn't take it personally when I am rude towards him. He's brought up the transference thing a few times briefly but doesn't talk in detail about it. He says I see him as the "mummy and daddy service" or something. I wonder if he glosses over it because he feels awkward or because he doesn't see it as enough of a hindrance.
Reply 10
Wow you must be really proud of wasting tax payer's money by insulting a health care professional that is leagues and leagues above what you could ever hope to be :colonhash:

For what it's worth, the little amount of PTSD psychiatric help I got a few years back amounted to them telling me it was fine to get angry; they'd been in the profession long enough there wasn't much they hadn't heard, and they understood why people acted that way as it was.

He probably thinks little more of it than just another part of the process, your arguments just part of the condition. I doubt he's becoming pissed off at all, I think he takes the differing viewpoint as a sort of venting.

Though if you agree with him on something maybe try to vocalise it? That's the only part I'd suggest anything with, actually.
Original post by AshEntropy
Wow you must be really proud of wasting tax payer's money by insulting a health care professional that is leagues and leagues above what you could ever hope to be :colonhash:

Lololol wtf. The psych I see is private, so I am not "wasting" anyone's money. Also I don't really "insult" him- I'm never abusive.
I think your partial explanation is correct. My psych says that my anger is from my childhood, in particular from my parents (who were never there or were abusive). So he says he doesn't take it personally when I am rude towards him. He's brought up the transference thing a few times briefly but doesn't talk in detail about it. He says I see him as the "mummy and daddy service" or something. I wonder if he glosses over it because he feels awkward or because he doesn't see it as enough of a hindrance.
calling it the mummy and daddy service is hardly glossing over it :tongue: but still if he's not actively said get lost and seems to get on with you then if you both benefit I wouldn't worry too much about it.

'Mummy and daddy service' though... wow how did you feel when he said that? What exactly happened when you were young why was your relationship with your parents difficult'
calling it the mummy and daddy service is hardly glossing over it :tongue: but still if he's not actively said get lost and seems to get on with you then if you both benefit I wouldn't worry too much about it.

'Mummy and daddy service' though... wow how did you feel when he said that? What exactly happened when you were young why was your relationship with your parents difficult'

"Mummy and Daddy service" was the first time he ever referred to it. I felt so embarrassed!
He'll tend to briefly refer to the transference after I've been difficult with him. He'll allude to my parents or say that I unconsciously see him as an authority figure, or some other Freudian explanation. I usually feel guilty after I've been passively aggressive towards him. I've noticed that when he fails to read between the lines, I get angry. I know that's unreasonable- he isn't a mind reader.

Parents were barely around. When they were, they would fight. Lots of domestic violence. And ever since I can remember, my mother was regularly physically abusive, not to mention emotionally abusive as well. Father wasn't as bad, in fact used to be close to him, but he enabled everything.
Original post by SkyRees
For what it's worth, the little amount of PTSD psychiatric help I got a few years back amounted to them telling me it was fine to get angry; they'd been in the profession long enough there wasn't much they hadn't heard, and they understood why people acted that way as it was.

He probably thinks little more of it than just another part of the process, your arguments just part of the condition. I doubt he's becoming pissed off at all, I think he takes the differing viewpoint as a sort of venting.

Though if you agree with him on something maybe try to vocalise it? That's the only part I'd suggest anything with, actually.

Thanks for your explanation. My psych has said many times that he would rather that I take out my anger on him than cry at home, which I appreciate. Although I do feel angry for "venting" my anger on to him. Sometimes I've burst into tears over this. And yes we do indeed agree on many things, I'll be more vocal about that in the future- thanks again.
"Mummy and Daddy service" was the first time he ever referred to it. I felt so embarrassed!
He'll tend to briefly refer to the transference after I've been difficult with him. He'll allude to my parents or say that I unconsciously see him as an authority figure, or some other Freudian explanation. I usually feel guilty after I've been passively aggressive towards him. I've noticed that when he fails to read between the lines, I get angry. I know that's unreasonable- he isn't a mind reader.

Parents were barely around. When they were, they would fight. Lots of domestic violence. And ever since I can remember, my mother was regularly physically abusive, not to mention emotionally abusive as well. Father wasn't as bad, in fact used to be close to him, but he enabled everything.
Sounds intense hopefully a good thing in terms of getting the issues out in the open and unpicking them but I tell you what I know some of the stuff MH professionals have to do essentially involves triggering you but flipping heck it doesn't half make you want to right hook them in the face lol *skips away merrily*

Sorry to hear that :frown:
I think it is very healthy to explore your mental health through a psychiatrist if you have some issues. On the other hand psychology being such a weak science, I am not sure just how much they can do with the limited tools they have at least atm.. Now don't get me wrong even a psychiatrist, is better often than your own thoughts, because they have a perspective on your x that you personally might or could not see.

I mean even in medicine Drs have little clue about a lot of things. that is not to say they don't know how to cure x or y just that it is an art because diseases and or illnesses and or physical problems are not that simple between different people. Any disease can present with symptoms which are unusual, and not congruent with the normal condition, this is no doubt down not to just the disease, but genetics.

That's not to say that therapy will not be effective, just like that's not to say that giving people pills, even if you do not know what is wrong with them would not, but if you see the analogy, it's a scatter gun situation.

It would be nice if every Dr was House MD , and every Psychiatrist was too, ie a genius who can just come up with magic but real life doesn't work like that, There's no such thing as House MD Hugh Laurie or not, there may be Drs who are geniuses, but that is about it.

A Psychiatrist I am pretty sure can't by default be pissed off frankly- at least not openly, if his or her patient disagrees with you, if you see what I mean, because your treatment ultimately resides with you, and him or her being annoyed means literally nothing. It might be you disagree, it might be that you don't but at the end of the day agree or not it is what helps you that matters; any shrink that is unprofessional enough to get pissed off openly and obviously, is probably not worth seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYa6gbDcx18

"it's not your fault." Trite but true. It really isn't anyone's fault, unless they actually directly made you the way you are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Transference and projection are generally par for the course in therapy. It can be a really useful tool too because the therapist acts within boundaries and often teaches us that anger is an okay emotion or that caring about somebody doesn't mean sex etc etc

Most of the time a therapist likes when you feel able to challenge them because it shows a healthy amount of assertion. But they can also see when it is a defence too. That shame you feel after you've reacted to him...that's something you might want to dig into the roots of. What are you fearful of? Forget being logical because fear is often illogical or faulty logic. Like you might fear abandonment against all reassurances but your past has taught you abandonment if you display this particular emotion. So the fear is real and logical to you on one level.

There's no way to be a perfect patient/client. Not all therapeutic relationships are the same and we interact differently with each client because each client is different.

Quick Reply

Latest