Tobiq
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm doing 3 A-Levels at my college; I started OCR's Computer Science course at another; however, my new college does CS under a different exam board.

I've no problems content-wise, it's sitting the exam / having the course-work marked etc.

I've looked up some centers in London, the lowest quote I've seen so far is £200 to sit the A-level exam, and have the course-work moderated (ExcelTutors).
Is this really the best price?

I reallyyyyy need to sort this out ASAP, as I need to declare a center on my UCAS application; because I'm not taking Computer Science at my current college.
MsMode
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tobiq)
I'm doing 3 A-Levels at my college; I started OCR's Computer Science course at another; however, my new college does CS under a different exam board.

I've no problems content-wise, it's sitting the exam / having the course-work marked etc.

I've looked up some centers in London, the lowest quote I've seen so far is £200 to sit the A-level exam, and have the course-work moderated (ExcelTutors).

I reallyyyyy need to sort this out ASAP, as I need to declare a center on my UCAS application; because I'm not taking Computer Science at my current college.
No this is not the best price. I had found a place. Inbox me your email and I will send you their details. However it'll be up to you to ask if they allow student to sit a computer science exam with multiple boards.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tobiq)

Around £50 for an exam seems common, you may find cheaper exam prices by shopping around. It's hard to find anywhere that will deal with coursework and that seems like an ok price to also get coursework marked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tobiq
Rep:
?
I can't find anywhere elsseeee
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not sure why you don't just stick with the board at your new college, it would be much the cheapest and easiest option but if you are trying to find somewhere for the whole A level including having the non-examined assessment marked then £200 seems a pretty reasonable price - barely any centres accept private candidates for any form of coursework so you're lucky to find anywhere.
Tobiq
Rep:
?
Because the board is different... I'd need to start the whole thing from scratch.

And, it turns out the the center that stated £200 didn't do course-work.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tobiq)
Because the board is different... I'd need to start the whole thing from scratch.
And, it turns out the the center that stated £200 didn't do course-work.
Both specifications have to comply with Ofqual's requirements and so there isn't a massive difference in content, you'd 'just' have to learn a few different things and the different way they set their questions - probably less trouble than trying to find somewhere for the NEA. Centres will be quite reasonably unwilling to sign to say they know it is your work and so will not accept your work even if they teach that spec. (I'm fairly sure that AQA Computer Science is not open to private candidates for this very reason).
Tobiq
Rep:
?
Before joining the college I'd already inquired about joining the CS Course...
They said the content / work done was not the same, the languages they learnt were also different - who df use VB?
Tobiq
Rep:
?
Do you think it's worth trying to push to join the course?
It's January next week I think it's too late. And, having to learn Visual Basic.. omg.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tobiq)
Do you think it's worth trying to push to join the course?
It's January next week I think it's too late. And, having to learn Visual Basic.. omg.
It would be hard work to swap at this stage (particularly if you haven't even started the project yet) and ultimately down to your current college. If they are doing AQA then there is a choice of 5 languages you can do the qualification in - can't remember but I think they include C++, Python and Java as well as Vb.net - but you'd still have to use a language they were comfortable marking so that might not help.
Tobiq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
It would be hard work to swap at this stage (particularly if you haven't even started the project yet) and ultimately down to your current college. If they are doing AQA then there is a choice of 5 languages you can do the qualification in - can't remember but I think they include C++, Python and Java as well as Vb.net - but you'd still have to use a language they were comfortable marking so that might not help.
I think I could - I'm a very proficient programmer, and know C++, python, C#, JS etc. just not VB.

And the school has exclusively taught VB, which is why I think they said I couldn't transition.

If the content's similar, I reckon I could whip-up something in Python.
Because I've worked as a Developer, I wouldn't take more than a week to complete the code.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
22.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
8.16%
No I am happy with my choice (31)
63.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads