ValkyrieScythe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have no idea how- my teacher never explained this (6 and 12 mark questions please, A01 A02 A03 etc
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
fatima1998
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ValkyrieScythe)
I have no idea how- my teacher never explained this (6 and 12 mark questions please, A01 A02 A03 etc
i have uploaded a document - it might give you an idea

A simple writing frame

Introduction: “STATE THE OBVIOUS” Describe in 1 / 2 sentences what the question is about

E.g. Animals have been used in many experiments to replace humans. There are several arguments for using animals, for example they can be useful when it would be unethical to use humans. However there are also reasons why animals should not be used.

NOW TO ENSURE A BALANCED ANSWER YOU NEED TO PLAY PING PONG!

“PING” Statement 1: Clearly state the first POINT you wish to make, EXPLAIN this is a s/w or argument for or against something, give a relevant EXAMPLE to show your understanding. E.g. POINT: One reason for using animals in research is that it allows you to study behaviour in a controlled environment

EXPLAIN: This improves the reliability of the study as the researcher can make detailed measurements / observations of the behaviour

EXAMPLE: Pavlov was able to reliably measure the amount of salivation his dogs produced in his conditioning study as he inserted test tubes in their cheeks to collect the salvia. This allowed him to reliably establish when the dogs had associated the bell / buzzer with food.

“PONG” back with Statement 2: Use PEE to give a counter argument to your first statement. If you can LINK the two

E.g. LINK although using animals instead of human can improve reliability it can raise ethical issues.

POINT Animals need to be treated with respect and protected from harm

EXPLAIN wherever possible researchers should reduce the amount of potential harm animals may suffer.

EXAMPLE Pavlov may have caused suffering to the dogs by inserting test tubes in the cheeks; he also kept the digs restrained in a harness during the experiments. This could cause discomfort and stress to the animals and is therefore an argument against using animals.

“PONG” and “PONG” a couple more times....

CONCLUSION: Give a summary of your argument in 1 / 2 sentences. This is where you can express your own view!

E.g. there are several reasons not to use animals in research, for example........

However the advantages of using animals, for example where humans cannot be used, outweigh these although all researchers must adhere to the ethical guidance.

this is a little chunk of the document - unfortunately, the document size exceeds so i had to cut some out from the document but i posted it above
hope it helps
Attached files
Findlay6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The above is quite confusing.

If it's 12 marks and there's no stem/scenario provided then it will be 6 marks for AO1 and 6 for AO3.
You need to understand what the command words are asking you to do to know how to answer the question effectively.

Eg; Describe and Evaluate research into X

Describe research into X (aim, procedure, method and findings) 6 marks if done well.
Evaluate research into X (2 or 3 points that you can PEEL well - Point, Evidence, Explain, Link) 6 marks if done well.

Here's a link to the revision ppt I made my students. It includes loads of revision techniques and a structure on how to use PEEL.

http://www.resourcd.com/@psychexchange/file/show/21239
Onlychantele
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Is it possible to just use weaknesses for evaluation if you can' think of positives?
Findlay6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Onlychantele)
Hi,

Is it possible to just use weaknesses for evaluation if you can' think of positives?
Yes, that's fine.
Use GRAVEE to help you remember general AO3 points.
Shaaayxp
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Findlay6)
Yes, that's fine.
Use GRAVEE to help you remember general AO3 points.
Gravee?
Findlay6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shaaayxp)
Gravee?
Generalisability.
Reliability.
Application to real world.
Validity.
Ethics.
Economic impact.

You only need 2-3 well explained points (Peel) to produce effective AO3.
Onlychantele
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Generalisability.
Reliability.
Application to real world.
Validity.
Ethics.
Economic impact.

You only need 2-3 well explained points (Peel) to produce effective AO3.
The reason l asked is because my teacher told me to have a balanced evaluation...but thanks!
Findlay6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Onlychantele)
The reason l asked is because my teacher told me to have a balanced evaluation...but thanks!
I teach my students to have counter-arguments, but I wouldn't focus too much on "I must have a balance" Eg;

Harlow's research into Rhesus monkeys was highly unethical however, it allowed us to reform Zoos and breeding programmes.

Research into Romanian Orphanages lacks generalisability due to the unique cases but it encouraged new procedures around childcare and helped Bulgaria change their policies.
Onlychantele
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I teach my students to have counter-arguments, but I wouldn't focus too much on "I must have a balance" Eg;

Harlow's research into Rhesus monkeys was highly unethical however, it allowed us to reform Zoos and breeding programmes.

Research into Romanian Orphanages lacks generalisability due to the unique cases but it encouraged new procedures around childcare and helped Bulgaria change their policies.
Can you be my teacher please, o.o but thank you so much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (152)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (456)
14.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (346)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (431)
13.91%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (147)
4.74%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (186)
6%
Loneliness (267)
8.62%
Financial worries (111)
3.58%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (125)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (141)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (169)
5.46%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (276)
8.91%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (291)
9.39%

Watched Threads