Any bad influences/habits that affect your mental health? Watch

Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have been considering the above question for a few weeks now, ever since I was taken off my latest medication.

Do you have any bad influences or habits that affect your mental health? If so, what are you doing to try and change that?

For example, for me, it would be that every time something goes wrong, I blow it out of proportion in my mind, and it seems 10, 20 times worse. I have a horrendous default setting of blaming myself for things, even if I think someone else is to blame.

I am now slowly trying not to do this, however. It is incredibly hard, but I'm taking baby steps.
Philbert
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Airmed)
For example, for me, it would be that every time something goes wrong, I blow it out of proportion in my mind, and it seems 10, 20 times worse. I have a horrendous default setting of blaming myself for things, even if I think someone else is to blame.

I am now slowly trying not to do this, however. It is incredibly hard, but I'm taking baby steps.
And in doing that, you're blaming yourself for something that is an incredibly common symptom of depression/anxiety.

I think a big one for me is not exercising. When I have really bad days, I make excuses to not go to the gym or even do some quick yoga or something, or I feel so tired that is just feels impossible. 90% of the time, unless I'm physically ill, exercising makes me feel much better. It's so hard to motivate myself sometimes.
prazzyjazzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Biggest issue is probabllyyy....Avoiding blaming other people when they're doing something that bothers/offends/hurts me. Most of the time I forget about it, but sometimes it eats away at me and I feel guilty for even considering that it's their fault and making it into a big deal. Thought process is kinda like this, "She hasn't talked to me in weeks..Doesn't she care? ..But she has exams to focus on. It's not her fault that she's loaded with homework and tests- I should let her focus." Eventually I'll build up the courage to talk about it, and then everything's good
Airmed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Philbert)
And in doing that, you're blaming yourself for something that is an incredibly common symptom of depression/anxiety.

I think a big one for me is not exercising. When I have really bad days, I make excuses to not go to the gym or even do some quick yoga or something, or I feel so tired that is just feels impossible. 90% of the time, unless I'm physically ill, exercising makes me feel much better. It's so hard to motivate myself sometimes.
I have chronic depression, also known as dysthymia, as well as numerous PDs and other stuff It's an incredibly hard thing to kick.

I love going to the gym, but yeah, the motivation is hard. Some days I just want to stay in bed and not do anything. But a gym session always makes me feel better.
Skeletonclique21
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I find if I don't exercise it makes me feel more down idk why
Airmed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Skeletonclique21)
I find if I don't exercise it makes me feel more down idk why
Excercise releases endorphines, which can aid positivity. :yep:
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Certain people. I've cut them out my life.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Kind of like you Airmed, I often blow things way out of proportion. Something my spouse always tells me off for is piling stuff on: getting upset about something, then something else, and something else until I'm really, really upset.
Airmed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Kind of like you Airmed, I often blow things way out of proportion. Something my spouse always tells me off for is piling stuff on: getting upset about something, then something else, and something else until I'm really, really upset.
:console:
Airmed
Rep:
?
(Original post by prazzyjazzy)
Biggest issue is probabllyyy....Avoiding blaming other people when they're doing something that bothers/offends/hurts me. Most of the time I forget about it, but sometimes it eats away at me and I feel guilty for even considering that it's their fault and making it into a big deal. Thought process is kinda like this, "She hasn't talked to me in weeks..Doesn't she care? ..But she has exams to focus on. It's not her fault that she's loaded with homework and tests- I should let her focus." Eventually I'll build up the courage to talk about it, and then everything's good
That is me exactly.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
Staying in bed too long or not having some sort of routine.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My worst habits that have a negative impact on my mental health are that I can't ever let things go - big or small, I think about them constantly and pick them apart over and over until I find some new aspect about the problem to obsess over and that only fuels my anxiety and drains me mentally, physically and emotionally.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (294)
65.63%
No (154)
34.38%

Watched Threads