Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey :tsr2:

wondering whether business studies is a respected subject among unis?? (picking out subjects for AS at college, need to finalise them quite soon)

..plan to study Economics at university

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunatly not. It's "blacklisted", meaning uni's don't respect it as much as other A-levels. Does the institution your attending not provide an Economics course?

All in all, it depends on what degree you want to study; what university you wish to attend; and what you enjoy. Don't be put off because the subject isn't deemed as academicaly challanging as, say, some more traditional subjects, because, universities won't hold this against you, providing your other choices ARE respected.

For example (I assume your intrested in a business degree): Maths, English literature, History, Biology or Chemistry or Physics and Business.

Of course this depends on your strengths and weaknesses. If you could stipulate which this are, I could maybe fix you together a better combination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanSHowarth)
    Unfortunatly not. It's "blacklisted", meaning uni's don't respect it as much as other A-levels. Does the institution your attending not provide an Economics course?

All in all, it depends on what degree you want to study; what university you wish to attend; and what you enjoy. Don't be put off because the subject isn't deemed as academicaly challanging as, say, some more traditional subjects, because, universities won't hold this against you, providing your other choices ARE respected.

For example (I assume your intrested in a business degree): Maths, English literature, History, Biology or Chemistry or Physics and Business.

Of course this depends on your strengths and weaknesses. If you could stipulate which this are, I could maybe fix you together a better combination?
    I originally did want to do Economics, but the places are all taken up at the college (I applied pretty late lol)...and well currently the subjects i've picked out are Maths, Chemistry, English Langauge & Literature, and well the fourth is basically what i'm trying to decide on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siddy_1990)
    I originally did want to do Economics, but the places are all taken up at the college (I applied pretty late lol)...and well currently the subjects i've picked out are Maths, Chemistry, English Langauge & Literature, and well the fourth is basically what i'm trying to decide on
    Ok, they are very good subjects! Do you have any ideas yet of what you'd like to do in the future? Do you have an enrollment day at the college?

ReputationRep:
    well you know about the studying economics at uni...but further on from that well I'd hope to become an investment banker, financial trader...something in that field.

my enrollment day was today, and I was quite late so the places for Eco were taken up (I am however on a waiting list)

ReputationRep:
    have u thought of doing a science, maybe chem or physics, because this will combine well with maths and some parts of business????
    and if u want 2 apply to gd unis further maths is highly valued
    hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinsta)
    have u thought of doing a science, maybe chem or physics, because this will combine well with maths and some parts of business????
    and if u want 2 apply to gd unis further maths is highly valued
    hope this helps
    these are the subjects currently picked out Maths, Chemistry, English Langauge & Literature....deciding on my fourth

F. Maths I've been told is extremely hard, although that depends on the person...I am fairly good at maths but i doubt I'd be able to handle Further :p:

ReputationRep:
    ...I think you should take business, regardless of it's academic status

Did you take it at GCSE level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanSHowarth)
    ...I think you should take business, regardless of it's academic status

Did you take it at GCSE level?
    Nope..that's why I'm so unsure about it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Take it! It'll give you an insight into the business world, alowing you to be sure of what degree you wish to take. It's not difficult either, providing you listen!

ReputationRep:
    Do AQA Applied Business....its more enjoyable

ReputationRep:
    After doing 2 year of it for IGCSE i wouldn't go near it with a barge pole. It's not because its hard, it's just realy boring for the first 1.75 years. Plus i didnt enjoy it so i'm not chsing it as an option for AS.

ReputationRep:
    i did it for both AS and A2..so as economics..i did 4 Alevels..personally i think it's a very enjoyable subject and actually very academically challenging..i don't know why some people say it's easy..i find economics easier. honestly, most unis are fine with business..maybe except LSE and cambridge..if you can do economics, maybe take economics instead. otherwise, i'd say business is a good course.

ReputationRep:
    So long as you don't have 2 out of 3 blacklisted subjects you'll be fine. I got an offer from the number 3 uni in the country with Business Studies...

ReputationRep:
    i thought LSE doesn't like business studies? maybe your personal statement was really strong?

ReputationRep:
    LSE was the first to have a blacklist. They say one subject out of three is OK, more than one and they automatically reject you.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.