The Student Room Group

i suck at english gcse?

hi, i recently got back my mock exam results and im happy to say i got a few a* a few a and the mostly b. but my english grade was a shocking grade d. im not trying to brag, but as background information, i am in top set and have always got now less than a B. english isnt my strongest subjects, but this is becuase i like straight forwards subjects such as science and maths.

how can i improve because i dont know how to tackle this issue?
Using correct spelling, punctuation and grammar in your posts on TSR would be a great start...
Reply 3
I Got 6 in English Language I could get an A or A* but apparently I don't develop my points and in English Lit I got a 4 because I didn't know any poems and crap all about Jekyll and Hyde I just had to focus on the extracts. English Language is easy just read the question and then the extract and annotate bits you can talk about use advanced vocabulary when you can and Stick strictly to PEED Point, Evidence, Explanation and Develop, and talk strictly about what the question is asking you to so if its asking you to write a summary of differences between the weather in Source A and B just stick to talking about how the weather contrasts with one another nothing else. Remember Quality not Quantity.
If you get stuck on how to begin always incorporate what the question is asking you at the start of your answer. So for example if its asking you: How does the Author of Source B interest you as a reader

You'll start by saying: The author of Source B interests me as a reader, firstly because of the way he utilises Various Language Devices and Technique in order to build up Suspense throughout the extract...... ( then evidence and explain and decelop yoru points)

Also for questions where it says you could write about change the could to a should and include the points it "suggests" you include, thats the exam board trying to offer you help, take it.

Also in English Exams timing is so important because you can get carried away on one question and forget about one that gives you more marks, always bring a watch put it on your table and just write down on the corner of the page when to move on because you'll leave yourself with time at the end to finish the rest of the questions. Also try your best to use Paragraphs.

And for Section B remember DAFOREST, (Direct Address, Alliteration, Facts, Opinion, Rhetorical Questions, Emotive Language, Statistics and Rule of Three) Include all if not most of these things in your writing and you'll get high marks, and try remember to create an opportunity to use these things.

And thats about it English Exams aren't really hard. Just takes a bit of practice. And remember if you want those high marks don't just state the obvious anyone could do that the examiners want you to read in deeper try to talk about what something Connotes. I think you struggle with this because unlike the other subject like the sicences and maths theres no one definite answer in English, you really have to read in between the lines.

Also expand your vocab so instead of using boring words like this intrests me as a reader because, say this captivates me as a reader because. Also make sure your grammar is on point in the exam remember this is English.

Thats about it really.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ra1500
hi, i recently got back my mock exam results and im happy to say i got a few a* a few a and the mostly b. but my english grade was a shocking grade d. im not trying to brag, but as background information, i am in top set and have always got now less than a B. english isnt my strongest subjects, but this is becuase i like straight forwards subjects such as science and maths.

how can i improve because i dont know how to tackle this issue?

world level analysis , chat as much **** as u can about one word for a paragraph. Do the same for another. Think of all the connotations for the word u decide to analyze .
Reply 6
Original post by Popsiclez
I Got 6 in English Language I could get an A or A* but apparently I don't develop my points and in English Lit I got a 4 because I didn't know any poems and crap all about Jekyll and Hyde I just had to focus on the extracts. English Language is easy just read the question and then the extract and annotate bits you can talk about use advanced vocabulary when you can and Stick strictly to PEED Point, Evidence, Explanation and Develop, and talk strictly about what the question is asking you to so if its asking you to write a summary of differences between the weather in Source A and B just stick to talking about how the weather contrasts with one another nothing else. Remember Quality not Quantity.
If you get stuck on how to begin always incorporate what the question is asking you at the start of your answer. So for example if its asking you: How does the Author of Source B interest you as a reader

You'll start by saying: The author of Source B interests me as a reader, firstly because of the way he utilises Various Language Devices and Technique in order to build up Suspense throughout the extract...... ( then evidence and explain and decelop yoru points)

Also for questions where it says you could write about change the could to a should and include the points it "suggests" you include, thats the exam board trying to offer you help, take it.

Also in English Exams timing is so important because you can get carried away on one question and forget about one that gives you more marks, always bring a watch put it on your table and just write down on the corner of the page when to move on because you'll leave yourself with time at the end to finish the rest of the questions. Also try your best to use Paragraphs.

And for Section B remember DAFOREST, (Direct Address, Alliteration, Facts, Opinion, Rhetorical Questions, Emotive Language, Statistics and Rule of Three) Include all if not most of these things in your writing and you'll get high marks, and try remember to create an opportunity to use these things.

And thats about it English Exams aren't really hard. Just takes a bit of practice. And remember if you want those high marks don't just state the obvious anyone could do that the examiners want you to read in deeper try to talk about what something Connotes. I think you struggle with this because unlike the other subject like the sicences and maths theres no one definite answer in English, you really have to read in between the lines.

Thats about it really.

thank you, yeah I agree, I lose a lot of marks because I fail to elaborate my answers and link to the question. most of the time my teacher say I make valid points its just developing them.

Quick Reply

Latest