How many A*s at GCSE is typical of a successful maths/physics applicant? Watch

memeeee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've read articles which have said things along the lines of 'you'd be lucky to get an interview with fewer than 8A*s'. I understand that this is likely true for medicine - but what about maths/physics/etc, specifically at Oxford?

Spoiler:
Show

I got 7A*s and 5As at GCSE - no predicted A-level grades thus far.

Yua
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
for oxbridge it'd matter, anywhere else as long as your A levels are high and your MAT/STEP scores are high, A*s at gcse are borderline irrelevant
EmEmTheFairy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not someone who has done a maths or physics degree. However, I do know people who have, and needless to say none of them got as many A*'s or even A's as you did. I think this may depend on the entry requirements (or rather, the 'prestige') of each individual university.
memeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by EmEmTheFairy)
I'm not someone who has done a maths or physics degree. However, I do know people who have, and needless to say none of them got as many A*'s or even A's as you did. I think this may depend on the entry requirements (or rather, the 'prestige' of each individual university.
What sort of grades did they get at GCSE?

Do you know anyone who has studied maths/physics at Oxbridge?
EmEmTheFairy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by memeeee)
What sort of grades did they get at GCSE?

Do you know anyone who has studied maths/physics at Oxbridge?
Of the three people I am referring to, all got A's and B's, excluding one who also managed to get an F in a subject (yup). They have just finished their degree at York.

Unfortunately not. I do know someone studying at Oxbridge, however, doing languages. They got all A*'s (bar one A) at GCSE, and A-Level, I believe.
WarriorKnight15
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've read articles which have said things along the lines of 'you'd be lucky to get an interview with fewer than 8A*s'. I understand that this is likely true for medicine - but what about maths/physics/etc, specifically at Oxford?

Spoiler:
Show

I got 7A*s and 5As at GCSE - no predicted A-level grades thus far.

For physics at Oxford, getting an interview is all about the PAT (entrance exam). At that stage the only time they will look at grades is if you just missed out on the mark required and your grades suggest you may be better than your performance in the exam. I think the same applies for maths with the MAT.
memeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by EmEmTheFairy)
Of the three people I am referring to, all got A's and B's, excluding one who also managed to get an F in a subject (yup). They have just finished their degree at York.

Unfortunately not. I do know someone studying at Oxbridge, however, doing languages. They got all A*'s (bar one A) at GCSE, and A-Level, I believe.
Were all 3 at York?
Classic, insanely good Oxbridge GCSE grades then

(Original post by WarriorKnight15)
For physics at Oxford, getting an interview is all about the PAT (entrance exam). At that stage the only time they will look at grades is if you just missed out on the mark required and your grades suggest you may be better than your performance in the exam. I think the same applies for maths with the MAT.
So Oxford place less emphasis on GCSE grades for STEM subjects?

The entrance exams will be so much pressure aaaah, I'm freaking out already :afraid:
EmEmTheFairy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Were all 3 at York?
Classic, insanely good Oxbridge GCSE grades then
The other two were at Lancaster & Manchester!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (140)
18.74%
Labour (319)
42.7%
Liberal Democrats (152)
20.35%
Green Party (41)
5.49%
Brexit Party (21)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.27%
SNP (9)
1.2%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.8%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)