Dyou think people who claim to care about the environment but eat meat are hypocrites Watch

Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This is mainly about red meat

If everyone gave up red meat then it would reduce carbon emissions by more than if we gave up cars. There are a lot of other benefits to the environment giving up meat would bring. A quick google search will bring up lots of scientific articles to back up this idea.

Do you think people who share posts on facebook about saving the environment and lecture others about how anthropogenic global warming is a real phenomenon that we need to combat YET still eat red meat are hypocrites?

What is your opinion on giving up meat to save the environment?
will'o'wisp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Moura)

If everyone gave up red meat then it would reduce carbon emissions by more than if we gave up cars. There are a lot of other benefits to the environment giving up meat would bring. A quick google search will bring up lots of scientific articles to back up this idea.

Do you think people who share posts on facebook about saving the environment and lecture others about how anthropogenic global warming is a real phenomenon that we need to combat YET still eat red meat are hypocrites?

You talk as if

not eating red meat>every other source of carbon emissions

will save the environment

it's just like saying because the majority of our electricity is produced from coal and extracting electricity using the coal is harmful and thus if we stop using it then we can save the environment and use renewable stuff instead
crap analogy but still, the point is i'm pretty sure you're wrong
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, but I still eat some red meat.

Guess I'm a terrible person.
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do. I think people who eat meat rather than eat trees are hypocrites imo.
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Moura)

Eating plants reduces the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere and increases carbon. s Also they grow in cramped living conditions. Plants are also living things.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fleky6910)
Eating plants reduces the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere and increases carbon. s Also they grow in cramped living conditions. Plants are also living things.
We have to eat something, and eating meat requires the cultivation of more crops than if those crops were eaten directly.
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
We have to eat something, and eating meat requires the cultivation of more crops than if those crops were eaten directly.
You've done me there lol. Meat tastes nice though.
username2885068
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't really get this argument. If people are eating meat, but are doing other things to help the environment, it shouldn't be a problem. I get it if they claim to care about the environment but don't do anything except talk about it, but you can't really make a statement about everyone like that
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As long as they're doing their bit in other areas, then no. You can't just pick out one aspect of someone's life and accuse them of hypocrisy based on that, you have to look a bit wider. Hypothetical example - you could have a vegetarian who drives a fuel thirsty BMW or Audi, or someone who eats a lot of red meat but drives an efficient hatchback or doesn't even have a car.
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This thread is making me crave a double cheeseburger

(Sorry, I had to be that person didn't I?)
foiut
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
This thread is making me crave a double cheeseburger

(Sorry, I had to be that person didn't I?)
You're despicable.

Just **** off.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by foiut)
You're despicable.

Just **** off.
You flatter me, but enough sweet talk
hityo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CarysJSLewis)
I don't really get this argument. If people are eating meat, but are doing other things to help the environment, it shouldn't be a problem. I get it if they claim to care about the environment but don't do anything except talk about it, but you can't really make a statement about everyone like that
(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
As long as they're doing their bit in other areas, then no. You can't just pick out one aspect of someone's life and accuse them of hypocrisy based on that, you have to look a bit wider. Hypothetical example - you could have a vegetarian who drives a fuel thirsty BMW or Audi, or someone who eats a lot of red meat but drives an efficient hatchback or doesn't even have a car.
Animal farming contributes to over 50% of all greenhouse gases. Thats more than anything else combined.

Ifyou do a small part in fighting global warming nut still complain about it then you are still a hypocrite.
MeYou2Night
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No but if they drive they are. I've met members of the Green Party who have 4x4s - hypocrites much?

Same with "vegetarians" who eat fish, drive or use public transport, use soap, have leather bags or jackets etc. Could go on with that one.
hityo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MeYou2Night)
No but if they drive they are. I've met members of the Green Party who have 4x4s - hypocrites much?

Same with "vegetarians" who eat fish, drive or use public transport, use soap, have leather bags or jackets etc. Could go on with that one.
How would eating meat not make them hypocritical but driving or using public transport would?
MeYou2Night
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hityo)
How would eating meat not make them hypocritical but driving or using public transport would?
Are you dumb? Cows are the biggest producer of methane so by eating them it's actually being enviromentally friendly.The only way to end that would be to make cows extinct, making them hypocrites as well.

Driving cars or using any form of transport that produces carbon (or used in their production like electric cars) on the other hand.....
prazzyjazzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Moura)

Nah, I don't think they're hypocrites.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I eat beef, cows produce methane which is bad for the environment, by eating beef there are less cows so I'm doing the world a favour
username2763536
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One person giving up meat is not going to change anything.Why criticise eating meat though? You could say that everyone who goes on holiday is a hypocrite as planes release Co2. It's not really in individual people's power to combat global warming.Your anger should be directed at government's and big business.
LailaLiquorice
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MeYou2Night)
Vegetarians who eat fish are actually called pescatarians. I'm not trying to be pedantic, I just thought you might be curious to know.

As for my opinion on the topic, I don't think they're hypocrites. There are many other ways to care for the environment, and farm animals actually contribute to maintaining the environment. If sheep were removed from the countryside then heathlands and moors would disappear and be replaced by forests because it's the sheep grazing that stops trees from growing in that area. This would mean that animals and plants that live in heathland environments (eg heathers and wild ponies to name a couple) would become endangered due to their habitats being destroyed. So while stopping farming might sound like a great idea, for other species it would be disasterous. There are more ways to protect the environment than reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Boris Johnson (160)
74.77%
Jeremy Hunt (54)
25.23%

Watched Threads