Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I am currently on UK Online 2mpbs unlimited which as far as i'm aware is standard ADSL. I'm wirelessly networked, using a Belkin 802.11g modem/router. However, now BE have got this new 8mpbs unlimited for the same price, I want to change. The thing is, on their website it says it's ADSL2+(they supply a modem). I don't know if there's a difference/compatibility issues and I couldn't find out from a quick google. If I change will I need to upgrade all my network hardware(as obviously the BE modem won't allow me to wireless network)?

ReputationRep:
    Although it says 'modem' it is actually a router - a speedtouch 780, which has both Ethernet ports and wireless built in - https://www.bethere.co.uk/dataSheet.do

You could either use the wireless on the Be box, connect the Be box into your existing network using a wired link (the wireless isn’t that great and the box can get very hot with it on!) or possibly use your existing router on the ADSL2+ connection as most modern routers support it.

ReputationRep:
    I think ADSL2+ modems can go no further than about 24Mbps at the moment. Quite a good modem considering you'll only be getting a max of 8!

Roll on Fibre Optic...

ReputationRep:
    Are you just ordering the 24mb package for £25 and then receiving 8mb? or are they making you an special offer? out of interest.

ReputationRep:
    No, they've changed their Be Lite package, it's now 8mb unlimited £14 a month...

So my current router will support ADSL2+ then? And if I do use the router the network cards on each wireless PC will still be OK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenvY)
    So my current router will support ADSL2+ then? And if I do use the router the network cards on each wireless PC will still be OK?
    Support for ADSL2+ depends on chipset and firmware of the router, Google it or try the ‘Unofficial Be Users Forum’ http://www.dontbethere.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?c=1 as they have a section dedicated to other routers on the Be service.

The only thing the internet connection affects is the modem part, the wireless parts always conform to IEEE standards so all 802.11g products will work with each other.

It should be possible to connect it as such:
    Be Box >> built in wireless >> existing network cards
    Or
    Be Box in bridged mode >> Ethernet cable >> existing wireless router >> rest of network

Depending on how much you like the Be box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chr1s)
    Support for ADSL2+ depends on chipset and firmware of the router, Google it or try the ‘Unofficial Be Users Forum’ http://www.dontbethere.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?c=1 as they have a section dedicated to other routers on the Be service.

The only thing the internet connection affects is the modem part, the wireless parts always conform to IEEE standards so all 802.11g products will work with each other.

It should be possible to connect it as such:
    Be Box >> built in wireless >> existing network cards
    Or
    Be Box in bridged mode >> Ethernet cable >> existing wireless router >> rest of network

Depending on how much you like the Be box.
    Cheers mate, i'll check my router but it's pretty old so I doubt it will support it, it was the network cards I was most worried about. If it isn't i'll try the Be Box and if it's crap i'll buy a new one...would be glad to be rid of this Belkin anyway to be honest, it's caused me a lot of problems over the years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 30, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.