I want to go to uni but I've only just moved into my new place

Watch
sheepwithdreads
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hiya, I wasn't sure if this was in the right forum discussion as it seemed to fit under a lot of topics so I apologize if it's in the wrong place.
At the start of the year I was made homeless and a few months, in August, I finally got my own place with the council.
My job hunt has been failing and during this time I've realised I really want to go to university to do art.
My problem is that I've recently moved in and saved up to have the place decorated and I also have kittens so I figured I can only go to a university near me- which is Birmingham (I live in Halesowen). Now, no offense to Bham university but it's not the best art uni out there- plus, I want to do digital art or animation and they only offer the average illustration course and a film and animation course, neither of which I was too keen on from reading their descriptions. Wolverhampton seemed to have a good animation course but to be honest, I don't think I'd be able to get to class on time and afford the travel.
So my question is: should I apply elsewhere or should I just stick to Bham?
I don't think it's possible to move away with my cats (and also, I've only just got my place and the council are funny about you moving back in in a certain amount of years) and even with student finance, I'm not sure if I can live at home in the holidays and go to university too... what should I do?
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your student finance should be able to support you year round in housing where you can keep a cat if you find the right city and are very careful with your money, or if you can find a part time job you will have a bit more leeway with location.

That said, myself being someone from a very poor background, being homeless then deciding to do an arts degree rather than something with higher employment prospects seems like an odd choice to me...
sheepwithdreads
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
Your student finance should be able to support you year round in housing where you can keep a cat if you find the right city and are very careful with your money, or if you can find a part time job you will have a bit more leeway with location.

That said, myself being someone from a very poor background, being homeless then deciding to do an arts degree rather than something with higher employment prospects seems like an odd choice to me...

I'm working towards trying to be a freelance artist and my only qualification that can get me into uni is my art BTEC.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sheepwithdreads)
Hiya, I wasn't sure if this was in the right forum discussion as it seemed to fit under a lot of topics so I apologize if it's in the wrong place.
At the start of the year I was made homeless and a few months, in August, I finally got my own place with the council.
My job hunt has been failing and during this time I've realised I really want to go to university to do art.
My problem is that I've recently moved in and saved up to have the place decorated and I also have kittens so I figured I can only go to a university near me- which is Birmingham (I live in Halesowen). Now, no offense to Bham university but it's not the best art uni out there- plus, I want to do digital art or animation and they only offer the average illustration course and a film and animation course, neither of which I was too keen on from reading their descriptions. Wolverhampton seemed to have a good animation course but to be honest, I don't think I'd be able to get to class on time and afford the travel.
So my question is: should I apply elsewhere or should I just stick to Bham?
I don't think it's possible to move away with my cats (and also, I've only just got my place and the council are funny about you moving back in in a certain amount of years) and even with student finance, I'm not sure if I can live at home in the holidays and go to university too... what should I do?
Just a note of caution if you're a council tenant: With many councils, you will lose your right to a tenancy if you are a single person and you become a full-time student. Also, Student Finance isn't geared up to pay rent on a whole property - even something like a small studio flat. Even on the maximum Maintenance Loan, in most places you'd struggle to afford more than the rent/bills for a single room in a shared house.

Please check your tenancy rights, SF entitlement and financial implications before making further plans. The worst case scenario is that you could find out some bad news too late and end up homeless again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (283)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my education (290)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (184)
9.94%
Isolating with family (131)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (85)
4.59%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (154)
8.32%
Loneliness (184)
9.94%
Financial worries (76)
4.11%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (170)
9.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (162)
8.75%

Watched Threads