Blogs Watch

This discussion is closed.
Haps
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey just wanted to know if people actually have blogs, or is it more of an American thing. If you've got a blog I just thought it would be good if people would add there sites here. Feel free to visit mine see my sig.
Tyrannosaurus Cal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wouldn't say blogs are only an American thing, they're much more universal nowadays
CrayolaLimitedEdition
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, they're everywhere. I love reading them, except the "we went asda today and bought dog food for Rover and he liked it and then we watched X Factor" or the "I hate life, no-one understands me" ones.
Tyrannosaurus Cal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm the same, I like the creative ones!
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I kept a blog until about a month ago, when I realised I was getting much too serious in it and decided to stop.
RaggedProse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been blogging in different forms for around four years, this is the latest and longest-lasting;

Euphoric Dystopia.

I know a fair few of my friends started blogs and then couldn't be bothered to updates... As for me, I've had a few dramas in the past - I was stupid enough to name (and criticise) teachers at my school on my blog. I called my Drama teacher fat, my English teacher sexy (he really wasn't) and my head of year a nazi. Whoops.

So really, you have to be very careful about what you say.
Zoecb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They're not American - I've had a LiveJournal since January 2004...
Too Far Gone
Report 11 years ago
Whenever I'm bored and providing I have something to say I might write something on the one that comes with MySpace. Not usually thought-provoking deep stuff because it's mainly just to tell people about what I've been doing not how I feel on the economic situation in Bolivia.
ßlαcksωαn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have had a couple but they lasted no longer than a few weeks...
MouseMint
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by CrayolaLimitedEdition)
Yeah, they're everywhere. I love reading them, except the "we went asda today and bought dog food for Rover and he liked it and then we watched X Factor" or the "I hate life, no-one understands me" ones.
I hate those too.

I keep a blog about my thoughts on various topics because I'd like to go back in 20 years and see how I've changed.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm trying to start one as a major part of a new personal website. I'm aiming for it to be more article based than typical diary-blog stuff.

Unfortunately, I'm bone-idle, so it's not coming along very quickly.
UniOfLife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've never understood the point of personal blogs detailing a random person's daily activities and/or opinions on various things.

I ran a political blog for a while but decided to stop. It started taking up too much time, attracted only the most extreme examples of society and had little or no impact.
Zoecb
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by UniOfLife)
I've never understood the point of personal blogs detailing a random person's daily activities and/or opinions on various things.
Because when a group of you all have blogs, posting an opinion on something is like having a discussion down the pub about it with your friends, except it's online (cos maybe they're far away and you can't go to a real pub).

Also, my blog is also a diary, I write what I did in it, for the same reasons people write personal diaries. I like having a record of what I've done in my life. It's awesome - I can go to my LJ archive and look up what I was doing in the first week of March in 2005 and it'll be there. Without looking, I haven't got a clue what I was doing then. So without a diary whatever I did that week is kinda lost. Cos I can't remember it.
But since I have been writing my life down for years it's really cool just to know what I've done looking back from the future.

Diary-writing is compulsive and the practice goes back hundreds of years - now people do it on computers, for convenience (I use the private entry function on LJ as well as shared entries with friends).
UniOfLife
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Zoecb)
Because when a group of you all have blogs, posting an opinion on something is like having a discussion down the pub about it with your friends, except it's online (cos maybe they're far away and you can't go to a real pub).

Also, my blog is also a diary, I write what I did in it, for the same reasons people write personal diaries. I like having a record of what I've done in my life. It's awesome - I can go to my LJ archive and look up what I was doing in the first week of March in 2005 and it'll be there. Without looking, I haven't got a clue what I was doing then. So without a diary whatever I did that week is kinda lost. Cos I can't remember it.
But since I have been writing my life down for years it's really cool just to know what I've done looking back from the future.

Diary-writing is compulsive and the practice goes back hundreds of years - now people do it on computers, for convenience (I use the private entry function on LJ as well as shared entries with friends).
OK but your friends aren't random people, or are they?
Sammi22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I love reading other people's blogs! I've had mine for a few years, and I've written something every day, it's quite boring, but fun to look back and see what you were doing 1 or 2 years ago! Here.
Zoecb
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by UniOfLife)
OK but your friends aren't random people, or are they?
Some of my LJ friends are my RL friends (most, in fact), + some that I added because we have similar interests etc. Some people I have added THEN met. eg. a few years ago I added someone with the same interests and now we ended up at the same uni doing a couple of the same classes and are friends in RL...
UniOfLife
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Zoecb)
Some of my LJ friends are my RL friends (most, in fact), + some that I added because we have similar interests etc. Some people I have added THEN met. eg. a few years ago I added someone with the same interests and now we ended up at the same uni doing a couple of the same classes and are friends in RL...
Cool. I guess it's a way of making friends but seems redundant with things like facebook around.
Zoecb
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well this was years before facebook... lol.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I used to have a blog, milkntwoplease on blogspot, which was basically rants and gossip from work & med school, gave it up when I realised I didn't have the imagination or the effort to write regularly.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.35%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.35%

Watched Threads