Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Should I buy my own printer/scanner for UNI or are they provided?

ReputationRep:
    Our uni has about 8 scanners for everyone's use in the library, and joint printers.
    A lot of the time, near assignment deadlines, it was difficult finding a free scanner so many of us found it easier to use our own - they're cheap enough anyway.
    Will depend on your specific university though.

ReputationRep:
    I have found that having a printer is essential especially when it is close to essay deadline time and there is often a queue or a distinct lack of paper in the computer rooms. I have found having a scanner however to be of no real use at all. I often only want to scan books from the library so I just use the photocopiers there although I think the need for a scanner would be different depending on which course you are on.

ReputationRep:
    I think a printer and scanner would be useful. I didn't have one last year so relied on the kindness of my housemates!

I don't know if everywhere did it though, but Huddersfield charges something like 4p per sheet printed...so whether it'd be better off to get my own printer and just refuel my own paper and ink in the long run I don't know!

ReputationRep:
    I've found mine to be useful and I offered my housemates to use it whenever they had a deadline (i.e. due in in 10 minutes)

ReputationRep:
    Getting your own is always a good thing. All-in-one printer/scanner thing is very handy when you miss lectures and want the notes off people - just photocopy them or scan them into the computer from your room.

ReputationRep:
    i'd say get your own! i got mine the other week, was only £30 and it came with a little bit of ink! the colour and black ink catridges together cost as much as the printer itself though which is bit of a con! xx

ReputationRep:
    I would definately recommend investing in your own one! I have an all-in-one that I got for around £30. It's nothing special but it does he job and saves me the trek of going all the way to uni to pront something off or having to wait until they are available. Not many people that I lived one brought one with them when they first moved in but I think everyone had bought their own by the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheryl06)
    I would definitely recommend investing in your own one! I have an all-in-one that I got for around £30. It's nothing special but it does he job and saves me the trek of going all the way to uni to pront something off or having to wait until they are available. Not many people that I lived one brought one with them when they first moved in but I think everyone had bought their own by the end of the year.
    Ooh where was that from please?

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm definitely gunna invest in one. I hadn't really thought about it but I can see it would be very useful, and if I can get one for £30 it should be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _frances_)
    I'll probably get my one from PC World... there's a sale on now and a bunch of them are quite cheap (like £30).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _frances_)
    I got it from Staples actually. I don't usually shop in there but saw it advertised and thought that it was a good deal.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i got mine from pc world too! but the wire which connects the printer to the comp doesn't come with it, you have to spend another tenner on that, but luckily i had a spare one at home!!

ReputationRep:
    Could try Ebuyer, they usually have some good prices.

ReputationRep:
    i got mine for £30 from wilkinsons. came with ink cartridges and everything. good printer. HP f380 i think it is. have a look in all the supermarkets i know i have seen it in another one as well, think it was morrisons.

ReputationRep:
    Esssential. Avoid Lexmark though, had one and it used ink faster than I could change the cartridges! HP are top. Argos have some C3180's (what I have) in cheat atm, from memory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    Esssential. Avoid Lexmark though, had one and it used ink faster than I could change the cartridges!
    i got a lexmark one free with my laptop. haven't used it yet. is it gunna cost me a fortune in ink?! :confused:
    might swap it with my dad, he has a HP. but it would require and extra scanner, which could tek up more room. and my room is tiny!

ReputationRep:
    I bought an all in one black HP Deskjet F4180 for £39.99 in PC World today.

Did a quick search on the internet for ink cartridges, and found ones made by others (but fit in my printer) for around £20 for both cartridges. You can also get a black one for £20 itself that prints around 600 pages supposidly.

Not to big and looks quite stylish. I did spent a long time in the store trying to decide... do I just want a smaller inkjet... or should I go all in one. But then I know how much I used my current 3 in 1 now just at High School (usually to copy notes!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben2612)
    i got mine for £30 from wilkinsons. came with ink cartridges and everything. good printer. HP f380 i think it is. have a look in all the supermarkets i know i have seen it in another one as well, think it was morrisons.
    Yes, it was Morrisons. £39 with a "free" starter pack of paper and ink cartridges to go with it. Definitely worth it - these printers take up very little space and make life much easier than hanging around in the library while someone else prints off War and Peace.... Having a scanner can be surprisingly useful too and who cares anyway when it's that cheap? Hewlett Packard as a make is easy on the ink, in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loulabell)
    i got a lexmark one free with my laptop. haven't used it yet. is it gunna cost me a fortune in ink?! :confused:
    might swap it with my dad, he has a HP. but it would require and extra scanner, which could tek up more room. and my room is tiny!
    Yes, frankly. I hear some are better than others, but they are generally expensive to run and ink thirsty. The build quality on mine was appauling too! I had an X2470, replaced by CS for an X2480 then they replaced that with an X3480. All ate ink, all had crap print quality (and I mean crap!). Sold all 3.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.