The Student Room Group

Physics AS Level, an U to an A?

Hey, I'm determined to get an A (no matter how hard it takes) in AS Physics, although I'm currently working at a U despite how hard I'm trying, can anyone suggest any websites or any way I can get better. (other than physicsandmathstutor)
Reply 1
Why not be a little more realistic and aim for a C?
Reply 2
Original post by UnKoWn_AdventurE
Hey, I'm determined to get an A (no matter how hard it takes) in AS Physics, although I'm currently working at a U despite how hard I'm trying, can anyone suggest any websites or any way I can get better. (other than physicsandmathstutor)

Give us more information as to what you have done, what tended to be wrong on your attempts at getting an A (with hardwork) and what you believe is wrong.

In addition to this, tell us if you were confident of getting a lot higher than a U or not while you took any tests resulting in working at a grade U.

hmmm, don't think so, i couldn't rise from E/D grades to any higher than a C
Original post by will'o'wisp
hmmm, don't think so, i couldn't rise from E/D grades to any higher than a C

thats u not me
Original post by Aoba
Give us more information as to what you have done, what tended to be wrong on your attempts at getting an A (with hardwork) and what you believe is wrong.

In addition to this, tell us if you were confident of getting a lot higher than a U or not while you took any tests resulting in working at a grade U.

I wouldnt say I was ever confident entering an exam but I would practice some question in my textbook and do some questions from the physicsandmathstutor site
thats u not me

well depends if it's just an off grade and you work much better because it only gets harder and it's the kind of harder that ain't gonna go away unless you got the talent to do so.
Reply 7
I wouldnt say I was ever confident entering an exam but I would practice some question in my textbook and do some questions from the physicsandmathstutor site

I assume you were perfectly able to answer those questions after you had done them (with mark scheme checking). Since you were not super confident on an actual exam there must have been some gaps which you hadn't fixed yet.

Assuming you fix these if there were not many you should jump up to about a D/C.
Proceeding to make and or remember some or better all notes on everyone of those points will ensure you at-least a B/A.

To get a more guaranteed A which is probably the safer option:

* All questions done (textbook and past papers (all)) to the point where you can can without question do them in less time than required correctly.
* Enough off the top of your head memory to answer the specification of your exam board in depth. <- very important point
* Able to present your work legibly and recall fast.

Things to keep in mind:
hard work will always move up your grade proportionally but the faster way tends to be in a change of what you are doing.This tends to be the reason why people say be realistic, because you are doing the exactly same thing as before just a little more work. It takes either immense hard-work or a simple and successful change of what you are doing to ensure you jump grades massively.

If you are not progressing work harder or change what you are doing.

Physicsandmathstutor is actually about one of the best sites i would recommend. The only other better site is your exam-boards site to my awareness,
you should get their specification for your course.

Exams try to test understanding for the most part so you should expect that everything you learn will be presented in a slightly different way, this makes exam past papers useful because they tell you what they expect you to understand, but do not expect the format to be the exact same.

Make a plan of what you need to do if nothing else do this.

Remember you do not have infinite time so do not work in series work where you are struggling the most.

If you do enough work you require luck but if you do too much work you can succeed even in the worst of times.

If you're not succeeding but you somehow find it easy please remember that
studying for exams is to pass exams. Either you and the exam board have perfect chemistry or you don't and you have to adapt to them.

The teacher was once a student. <- I believe this is very very important because they try to tell you what they believe works and when you view them like this it makes everything a lot easier. Self work is still most highly important.

It does not take talent to regurgitate what already exists...
Purchase this textbook ---> https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/books_a_level_physics.book_PATB52 , it's the only textbook I've found that actually understands what the new spec is like. It also has exam-style questions at the end of each chapter.

Also, I'd suggest keeping your goals realistic. By that, I don't mean that you won't get an A in your exams. I mean that for now, aim to be working at an E grade. When you're working at an E grade, aim to move up to a D grade, then a C grade etc.

Spend a lot of time practicing physics, learning physics, reading about physics, thinking about physics.
Reply 9
Just use the Feynman technique (look it up up on Youtube or something) and do some past A level papers.

Quick Reply

Latest