taylorjackson19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
2 45 minutes ago Report post
Hey, i have a problem question to do for my criminal law essay. I am an undergraduate 1st level. I have identified that the problem is Unlawful AAct Manslaughter - i have identified this as recklessness for the unlawful act but the defendant does not have the intention to kill the individual. However my issue is the fact the defendant is on heroin. He needs the mens rea for the unlawful act but does not have the mens rea for the intoxication? if this doesent make sense please message me.
Hann95
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For constructive manslaughter, there is no requirement for intention to kill, only the intention to commit the unlawful act therefore you must be able to make out the mens rea of the unlawful act. The act must be unlawful, dangerous and must cause death.

With the matter of intoxication, this is only a defence to specific intent crimes. As you have identified recklessness, it is likely that unlawful act was that of basic intent and therefore intoxication would not be a sufficient defence.
taylorjackson19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks so much, could i send you my answer once its complete?
Hann95
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (75)
37.13%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (31)
15.35%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (10)
4.95%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (21)
10.4%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (24)
11.88%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (22)
10.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
9.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise