How did your college inform you of their decision?

Watch
chapin2017
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm an international student who applied for Biological Sciences this year, and I'm just wondering how colleges tend to inform candidates (i.e. post or email) of their decisions. I know Magdalen normally does post but non-UK applicants can request emailed scans of the letter, but what do others (specifically Pembroke, which is the second college I interviewed at) do?

If you were rejected from your first choice college but admitted to a different one, did the first college mention the acceptance in their rejection or did they just say "you didn't get in" so you had to wait for the second college's decision (obviously the 2nd would only contact you if you got in, which makes things even worse because you don't get a definitive answer until too much time has passed for it to be possible)?

Thanks! Just nervous about the possibility of getting a rejection by email and then a surprise acceptance 9 days later or something like that...
Lau14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chapin2017)
I'm an international student who applied for Biological Sciences this year, and I'm just wondering how colleges tend to inform candidates (i.e. post or email) of their decisions. I know Magdalen normally does post but non-UK applicants can request emailed scans of the letter, but what do others (specifically Pembroke, which is the second college I interviewed at) do?

If you were rejected from your first choice college but admitted to a different one, did the first college mention the acceptance in their rejection or did they just say "you didn't get in" so you had to wait for the second college's decision (obviously the 2nd would only contact you if you got in, which makes things even worse because you don't get a definitive answer until too much time has passed for it to be possible)?

Thanks! Just nervous about the possibility of getting a rejection by email and then a surprise acceptance 9 days later or something like that...
Barring issues with the postal service (obviously beyond Oxford's control), all decisions will be sent to arrive on the 11th, regardless of how they're sent (although I think most if not all colleges use post for UK applicants). I would imagine that if you were accepted by the second college the first one wouldn't say "you've been rejected" since that wouldn't be true, and if they contacted you would probably just say something along the lines of "College X/Another college will be in touch". Basically, that's not something to worry about, and whatever communications you receive will tell you whether you're in or not.
chapin2017
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for the reply, good to hear that... I do know someone who was told in his first choice college's rejection letter that he'd been accepted at another college, but I've also heard about someone who got a flat out rejection letter (nothing about other colleges) from her first choice in the morning, spent the day sad, and then came home in the evening to find an acceptance letter from another college. I'll have to assume that was a rare/unfortunate occurrence that doesn't usually happen and hopefully wouldn't happen to me!

Also, Magdalen says they send out all decisions by post on the 10th so that most will arrive on the 11th, but of course that wouldn't happen for US students so I'm not sure if they post them earlier or if they just assume international students will request emails or wait until the letter arrives...

http://www.magd.ox.ac.uk/studying-he...ants-20162017/
"Selections decisions will be posted out by hard copy letter to all applicants on 10 January and so will reach the majority of applicants on 11 January. We are not able to notify you by telephone or email. Candidates outside of the UK may email to request a scanned copy of their letter."
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My daughter (a UK applicant) applied to Pembroke and was interviewed there and at Christ Church. On "results" day, she first got an email from ChCh making her an offer. Later in the day, a letter arrived from Pembroke expressing regret that they weren't able to offer her a place, but that she should wait to hear from other colleges for the final outcome of her application to Oxford University. It was probably a good job she looked at her emails first.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mine was an e-mail sent so quick I didn't even check my inbox until 4 days after it was sent (which was just 6 days after the interview!). This was when they sent offers before Christmas though.

Its safest to assume it could be e-mail it could be letter. It may well be both.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (455)
56.38%
I don't have everything I need (352)
43.62%

Watched Threads