Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi !!! I'm coming to Exeter before 23 September... so,where could I stay??? I'm looking for a cheap but private room near the campus,do you have some advices?? Do you know hostels or b&b ?? Thank you all

ReputationRep:
    There aren't any youth hostels that I can think of but there are a few B&Bs on Blackall Road and the adjacent New North Road.
    There's Raffles, that has single rooms for £38 a night: http://www.4hotels.co.uk/uk/hotels/raffles.html
    Dunmore has single rooms with ensuite for £36 a night: http://www.dunmorehotel.co.uk/tariffs.html
    Sunnymede Guest House has single rooms from £30 a night: http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/a16197.html
    The Braeside Guest House has single rooms from £25 a night: http://braeside.pictureinthesky.net/pricelist.php

So you could try any of those.
    Alternatively, try ringing the university's accommodation office as they can often find accommodation for people on campus over the summer and immediately before moving into their 'proper' room.

ReputationRep:
    are we not allowed to move in before sunday the 23rd?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woodlebert)
    are we not allowed to move in before sunday the 23rd?!
    I believe that it depends on what accommodation you have been allocated, e.g. Penny C (Lopes) some blocks from Holland and Birks, and a few others have to move in on te 22nd, then other blocks/halls move in on the 23rd. If you check yor accommodation pack it should tell you what date you're expected to arrive. Though I'm sure if you provided an explanation to accomm. office they may let you go on the 22nd (assuming your moving in date is the 23rd?!)

ReputationRep:
    My friend last year came the day before everyone else - she was the only person in the whole of Penny C - she said it was very strange and actually ended up locking herself out (alot of the doors lock automatically due to fire safety) and so she had to walk bare foot to the porters lodge

So I think you can move in early but you have to check with the people in charge. Though my friend came from Ireland, so it may have been different due to her coming from over the sea

ReputationRep:
    My accom is avail from 23rd at 11am......if I arrive late like lets say 3pm will they re-allocate my room thinking i'm not coming at all?

ReputationRep:
    when i was in halls i was suprised by how late some people could stay. there was literally a day or so turn-around. once i was still in my room on the same day that somebody was moving in to it!! the cleaner had 3 hours to clean between me leaving and the next person moving in.
    this may not be the case for freshers halls, but at other universities it's common for the rooms to be let out during the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuroptd)
    My accom is avail from 23rd at 11am......if I arrive late like lets say 3pm will they re-allocate my room thinking i'm not coming at all?
    You get allocated your room sometime in beginning of September (It will probably be published on SRS) - this is your room unless you say that you don't want it. I had friends last year that didn't move in till the next day so 3pm should be fine - though if u are in catered you will miss the lunch - which is the one time that the food is really good

ReputationRep:
    Uh, how do we know which "block" we're in? My accommodation just says "Birks Grange", yet in the booklet it says that different "blocks" have different key collection times.

ReputationRep:
    If I remember correctly, last year when we registered on SRS (student record system) and clicked on 'view address' or something, it was there. But I might not be remembering correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuroptd)
    Not at all.

Boosh - I've done cleaning for the uni and I'd say a day's turnaround is generous, haha. 3 hours is more like it...

ReputationRep:
    i don't know how you guys manage it with all these stinky student types! i left the room spotless (the cleaner was a nice lady who let my partner live with me for a year without telling the uni - sssshhhhh!!! ) but not everyone does.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ You're darn right there. One Chinese girl left so much stuff you would have thought she was still living there if you didn't know she'd gone. We were told to take whatever we wanted and then throw the rest away. In this way I acquired a wind chime, a pair of scissors and three champagne flutes :ninja:
    Another girl (also Chinese we suspect...sorry if this post is starting to sound a little racist) left so much dirt and grime and dust in her room that it was just unbelievable. There was also so much long black hair lurking in the corners of the floor that it actually broke the vacuum cleaner

ReputationRep:
    I tried to contact the office for self catered accomodation but the address I've found in the website ([email protected] uk) ist'n correct !!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    That's because there are two m's in accommodation. Damn uni can't spell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    ^^ You're darn right there. One Chinese girl left so much stuff you would have thought she was still living there if you didn't know she'd gone. We were told to take whatever we wanted and then throw the rest away. In this way I acquired a wind chime, a pair of scissors and three champagne flutes :ninja:
    Another girl (also Chinese we suspect...sorry if this post is starting to sound a little racist) left so much dirt and grime and dust in her room that it was just unbelievable. There was also so much long black hair lurking in the corners of the floor that it actually broke the vacuum cleaner
    eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!

ReputationRep:
    Yeeees, that about covers it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Exeter Guide

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Exeter Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.