Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi people.

Just had my AIB date through, im going on 10th December (seems a long way away). What are other people's dates and what are you applying for?

Also for anyone who has already done AIB recently, any tips on how to prepare would be good.

Im applying for Pilot.

Thanks
    Natalie

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there are many people on here that are either applying for or have applied for the Navy, this forum seems more RAF based (correct me if i'm wrong!). However, i think the principles would be the same for AIB as they are for OASC so it would certainly be worth your while to have a look on previous posts about OASC preparation and see if you can make an equivilent for AIB.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Natalie
    There is the odd navy folk on here.
    I have my AIB at the end of Oct did my FATs at the end of July as i'm also goin for pilot.
    Tips wise like Jude said RAF tips on here apply to the senior service also.
    I've been compiling a notebook on all things Navy/FAA, stuff like being able to distinguish the various ships, know what weapon systems are used by ships and helo's, the basics of the helo's like what their roles are/no engines/etc from what i've heard you dont need to know too much detail but obviously the more you know the better.
    Generally think you will need to know where the Navy is operating and likely to be operating.
    Know whats going on regards CVF and the F35 that sort of thing
    Know your Q101 form insideout and be able to expand on your answers, and be able to give other example etc as that is what the board question you on.
    Hope this helps a little.
    J

ReputationRep:
    Theres a whole thread here on AIB - much like the OASC one here.

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/For...orum/f=24.html

ReputationRep:
    Hi Natalie

Im going for AIB (pilot) a week next Monday (10th Sept), so ill post on here when im back!

Jonny

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Sorry its been a few days since I said I'd post.
    I think the best tips I could give are:

Get to grips with your service knowledge. The Day 2 written service knowledge test can be quite wide ranging, I had questions on the size of the defence budget, number of subs, role of RFA Argus etc aswell as the more standard questions. Just the kind of stuff that some thorough research on the Navy Website, Navy News and maybe the Navy Handbook would cover.

Do some running before you go. Get the bleep test on audio file, its available for free in various places on the internet, practice it. I think the pass mark for female is about 5. But obviously you want to be getting as far above that as possible.

Once your actually down at Sultan everything is explained really clearly and the staff are great, YOU'LL GET PLENTY OF TIPS FROM THE STAFF WHICH YOU CAN IGNORE AT YOUR PERIL! <--- that would be the erm, key point of this post I think.

The interview is really relaxed and goes by really quickly, just make sure you've thought through a few examples of times you were a leader/overcame a challenge etc. If you photocopied your Q101 form before you sent it back make sure you take that and read it in the couple of days before your interview, as they will ask you about answers you gave on it.

I guess the only other advice I can give is when you do your planning task (which will all be made clear at the time) you try your best to master the details of the brief you're given.

Oh . . and for goodness sake be enthusiastic! Go down to the pub with your fellow candidates and have a laugh, get to know each other, engage the staff if your eating on the same table in the candidates mess, just be sociable!

Btw I passed!

Hope this helps,

Jonny

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure the pass mark for females on the bleep test is 6.3, or at least it was last year, i doubt it will have gone down though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you could be right. I thought someone got 5.1 and passed but I may well be mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    I had an AIB back in May for the Royal Fleet Auxiliary. I didn't think I performed particularly well compared to the equivalent OASC that I had a few weeks back but I passed it all the same. Know your ship classes, current deployments, recent world events (the usual stuff really) as this stuff will come up in the interview. Speak loudly and clearly on the hangar exercise and remember that they are not marking you on how well you complete the task but by how well you lead. We got told that there was a general trend between people who passed the AIB and people who did well at the hangar exercise. Not much else I can suggest really except to enjoy yourself. Oh, one other thing, on the final day with the interview we got back late from the hangar exercise and were given 10 minutes to get to our rooms, shower, change and pack our cases ready for the first interview. Pack as much as you can on the last morning and get your suit and shower stuff out ready just in case it happens to you as well.

Don't forget to bring your passport size photos with you, it's not hugely important but it's nicer knowing you haven't forgotten anything.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.