Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am very very confused at the moment. My AS Level results were AABB in English Literature, History, Theatre Studies and French. The Bs were very high Bs, and both had modules that might be sent back for an appeal (long story, it's to do with our whole class, not just me). Anyway, I was going to drop History, but then I found out I got AAA for it, so I thought of dropping French, which I got overall B, but now the teachers think our speaking exam grades aren't right so they're being sent back. My teachers want me to take 4 instead of 3 as they think I'm capable of doing so... but I'm terrified that this will decrease my chances of getting really high grades and that universities don't really care if you have 4. Is it a waste? Or is it worth it? I do like my subjects but I'm just scared I'll mess up my chances...

ReputationRep:
    Considered dropping theatre studies, since you got a B in that too?

ReputationRep:
    But I really enjoy theatre studies and it might be part of my degree (potentially applying for English Literature with Drama).

ReputationRep:
    Ah. In that case, I would just wait for the French remark to come back. If it's remarked to an A, then continue all four. If not, then drop it. Four A levels is doable and I doubt it would jeopardize your chances of getting good grades just because you're taking one more subject than is asked for.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to take 4 A-levels. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    In French I was one mark off an A and in Theatre Studies I was 6 marks off an A, but each subject has a module that I got C in, where I was predicted an A by my French teacher and Drama teacher, hence why they're having this checked out. It might not get changed anyway (I don't know how it works) but I'm hoping to push the grades up at A2. My brother said he wished he hadn't dropped a subject at A2 as 4 A-Levels can benefit you in the long run. Does it benefit you?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if doing four benefits you or not considering unis only require 3 A levels. I'm doing 4 purely because maths+further maths aren't distinct subjects. They're both maths, you just get 2 A levels at the end of it. I wanted to a bit more than just maths, FM, and physics, so I decided to take chemistry as well. I don't regret it.
    Do four if you're interested enough in all of them and think you could handle the work. Then of course there are those that are doing 5 or 6 A levels...

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.