Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that whenever I’m in a relationship, I feel as though I don’t want to be?

I love the idea of a relationship but whenever it comes down to it, whenever I actually get someone, I start looking for the next target. I hate myself for it, I really do – I’m not actually an arse, I know I sound like one, but I am actually a nice guy. In the last 3 relationships I’ve had, including the one I’m in now – my girlfriends have all said what a great boyfriend I am – and I like to think I am, I try my best to be nice.

I just always ache for the chase – there’s only ever been one girl I didn’t have this ache when I was with them. I loved her more than anything and she broke my heart on new years eve 2005 – ever since then I’ve always enjoyed the actions leading up to a relationship, don’t get me wrong – I do like been in a relationship, I feel guilty for thinking about the chase.

Is there something wrong with me?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, lots of people love the 'thrill of the chase' feeling more than the person themselves. Some people just aren't interested in commitment at this age and chasing just seems like more fun.
    I'm sort of similar- when I like someone it's great, but if I find out that they like me too, I weirdly go off them .
    I guess I'm just not into commitment at the moment. When you find that person you really like, the next 'chase' is the last thing you'll be thinking about.

ReputationRep:
    Well, psychologically speaking, there is a possibility that you're afraid of being hurt again since your last failure in 2005 and thus, you change every relationship you have to gain new feelings, for new friends don't break up in a short time, thus adverting being hurt for a while. Or, do you think you're apt to doing better than others in every aspect? That means you want to show you're charming or attractive to others in your potenial? Anyway, if you give your real heart to your each girlfriend, you should by now find a real love. Dont worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    yes there is something wrong with you ashley. you should probably just give up altogether and lock yourself in isolation.
    and for your information you were a mediocre boyfriend, but i guess you were too busy looking for your next target to notice ? ho ho.

na theres nowt wrong with ya, everyone loves the chase and the feelings of getting to know someone knew and pursuing them etc. etc. it all becomes a bit monotomous after you get into a secure relationship with someone, theres no new feelings or thrills i guess. some people like that and are perfectly content in a relationship whereas some people get bored. but you are still young, it doesn't mean you'll feel like that forever. when you're older and wanting to settle down and are sick of jumping from girl to girl i suppose you'll like the secure feeling of a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a classic case of JR Ewing syndrome to me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.