Turn on thread page Beta

Should Welsh become the official language of Britain? watch

ReputationRep:
    It comes from the ancient britons

ReputationRep:
    I'm Welsh and no.

ReputationRep:
    Britain for the britons! Germanics go home!

ReputationRep:
    I just think the sheer mass of people who speak English outnumber those who speak Welsh, and therefore a transition could be a circumstance which wouldn't really be neccessary. Why do you think we should make Welsh the main language of Great Britain?

ReputationRep:
    There shouldn't be any official language

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Y ylryydy spyyk Wylch. Yt's nyt tyy hyrd yncy yny gyts thy hyng yf yt.

Spoiler:
    Show

I replaced every vowel with a Y, but I bet some of you actually thought that those were real Welsh sentences

• Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Only if we get RobML being the sat nav voice over for the Welsh language.

ReputationRep:
    No way - not even the entirety of Wales speaks it, so why should we all be expected to speak it as our official language?

ReputationRep:
    Gaelic was spoken in Britain before Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    Gaelic was spoken in Britain before Welsh.
    Eh? Both languages are simply evolutions of Insular Celtic. Both evolved here, and both gradually, into their modern forms. Gaelic however came to mainland Britain quite late, when the Gaels came to Scotland (well, Northern Britain) and essentially supplanted the local Brittonic or early Welsh speaking culture in the west.

ReputationRep:
    not even welsh people speak welsh. I've met so many of them and none of them can speak it outside of a few odd sentences in the same way most people can string a few french words together to say "hello how are you" etc. the only people that speak welsh in wales are people that live in towns/villages that are miles away from anywhere. it's kind of like the situation in some central african nations where most people live in the cities whereas there are a few odd tribes with their own clicky languages out in the wildernesses miles and miles away from those cities.

ReputationRep:
    im not even sure how you'd get this to work as you would have to teach millions and millions of people Welsh in order to make it work as an 'official' language. official languages are usually majority languages for a reason...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    Y ylryydy spyyk Wylch. Yt's nyt tyy hyrd yncy yny gyts thy hyng yf yt.

Spoiler:
    Show

I replaced every vowel with a Y, but I bet some of you actually thought that those were real Welsh sentences

Peidiwch a bod yn casgen powld, Saeson brwnt

ReputationRep:
    As i live in Cornwall can we please have Cornish? :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Marxist, functionalist and social action theory at the minute, I haven't got time to be learning another language.

ReputationRep:
    Hiro hyn hîdh ab 'wanath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Hiro hyn hîdh ab 'wanath
    Oi, we're not elves :P

ReputationRep:
    Since the fact that Welsh is disappearing as the result of the imperialistic conquests of our ancestors, I feel the English should have some responsibility in facilitating its survival. Making Welsh an official language in terms of a legal language and instruction would go a long way to helping the language to survive. Though we may not see it as a very "useful" language, if the language dies, so does a significant part of Welsh culture and history, which I believe is something that we should not take so lightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyRees)
    Oi, we're not elves :P
    but Welsh is derived from Elvish roots

:wizard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    but Welsh is derived from Elvish roots

:wizard:
    Well, that explains the magic in our blood. But still, we're not elves anymore I'm afraid, since we gave up that power to the Irish.

...wait I'm Welsh and Irish I'm not helping my point shut up :P

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.