Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been successful in getting student accommodation and have been put on a waiting list. My sister told me that in the first yet of university, there are bound to be many drop outs that by october there'll be some rooms unoccupied! Is this true or another rumour? I'd rather have accommodation than travelling 1.5 hours every morning.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people drop out! ask to be put on a waiting list. Or go private.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather live in halls at the price the private sector are asking for, plus it's still like a train or bus away... I'd rather just walk..

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's true, I dropped out in October last year. As far as I know a few others did as well, I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

ReputationRep:
    My friend applied for halls like 6 months in, and got one because of drop outs.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's true, we had two empty rooms in the flat next door within about 3 weeks of term starting. People leave, transfer to other unis, move back home, move into another hall to be with friends etc etc
    Definitely worth going on the waiting list.

ReputationRep:
    great!

ReputationRep:
    You know, moving in to private accommodation isn't as bad as people seem to think it is. Everyone seems to think that if you go in to private accommodation then you will be considered a freak and shunned by everyone else. I've had a great time and most people will have to move in to private accommodation in their second year anyway.

However I would say definitely put your name on the waiting list anyway. In my first year I lived with 2 girls who were desperate to live in halls for some reason and they put their names on the waiting lists before term started and found somewhere to live in the mean time. They both moved in to their first choice halls at Christmas.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.