The Student Room Group

Got family I don't really like from abroad this Christmas

So recently, my aunt and cousins decided to book a ticket to come to London over the Christmas period. They did not consult with me about this first, which is really annoying as I did have other plans - of which I had to cancel them to accommodate them. They only told me all of this AFTER they booked the ticket and as a result I have had to spend a little extra getting them gifts etc - which I don't really have a problem with.

The problem I have is however, is that ever since they have been here they have not been very appreciative of the things I have done for them. Like I went to the airport to pick them up, paid for the parking ticket and took them shopping. Anything small favours or things they wanted from me, I did. Now, one of my other uncles living in the UK gets given a christmas gift and some chocolate boxes. I wasn't given anything but then again me and them never had a good relationship.

Now, it has become apparent that they want to move and settle here DESPITE the fact that I have warned them countless amounts of time is not a wise thing to do. They live in a western Europe country where they do not have to pay the mortgage because they paid it off years ago. They also don't have to worry about jobs or bills as such as they are very much financially stable there. I have told them about brexit and how the rent prices are sky high here at the moment. Also told them that, without having a good understanding of the English language or law - they will struggle. Yet, it seems that they are being egged on and persuaded by some of their friends who have settled here. All in all, I am fed up. I am clearly being used and they are only being "nice" to me just to get their $h1T done. Once they have sorted everything out, it will be back to normal. They never help me out or even speak to me
Reply 1
Anyone? BUMP
Original post by yunglife
So recently, my aunt and cousins decided to book a ticket to come to London over the Christmas period. They did not consult with me about this first, which is really annoying as I did have other plans - of which I had to cancel them to accommodate them. They only told me all of this AFTER they booked the ticket ........

I've would've stopped it there.

If my relatives do what yours did, and ring me after they've got the ticket, I'll them tell I'm off to Berlin (or insert place of your choice) and they'll have to sort out their own sh*t out.

They take advantage becoz you're nice. Solution: don't be nice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ThePricklyOne
I've would've stopped it there.

If my relatives do what yours did, and ring me after they've got the ticket, I'll them tell I'm off to Berlin (or insert place of your choice) and they'll have to sort out their own sh*t out.

They take advantage becoz you're nice. Solution: don't be nice.

Thanks for your response.

The thing is, I live at home with my parents and family. Both my parents were also not happy about them not consulting us before they booked the tickets to come here - and well they own a business. Therefore, we have to manage that well too and we rarely go on holiday as a family - unless it is like me or my sister going with friends. This Christmas we were planning to do something over Christmas day as a family but those plans had to change to accomodate for the tourists to come over. They are very emotional and break down for the smallest of things. They are taking advantage of me because I am nice? I don't think so mate, I don't clean up for others or do things for others (except my blood family). I am not that much of a nice person but I do not undermine or argue against my parents wishes. My father wanted me to take them around, so I am only doing all of this for him - NOT THEM. They are like this with anyone and they don't care what others do or feel - so long as they get their $h1t done. They are notorious for their selfishness and getting things done the way they please. I may as well look at a one sided way and shout at it myself. Last time I started arguing with them they were not making any sense and I felt it wasn't leading me anywhere. So in the end, I just ignored them. This time, I have not personally be doing them any favours and I think they are starting to see it now
Reply 4
. This Christmas we were planning to do something over Christmas day as a family but those plans had to change to accomodate for the tourists to come over. They are very emotional and break down for the smallest of things.

Let them whinge and throw their toys out the pram until they learn how to stand on their own two feet. Personally, I would have just refused all of their calls. Your parents really need to learn to stand up for themselves, nothing will change unless they do (or, until you decide to move out. But having to move out because your extended family are idiots is unfair, imo)
Reply 5
Original post by Another
Let them whinge and throw their toys out the pram until they learn how to stand on their own two feet. Personally, I would have just refused all of their calls. Your parents really need to learn to stand up for themselves, nothing will change unless they do (or, until you decide to move out. But having to move out because your extended family are idiots is unfair, imo)

I get where you are coming from but to say that my parents need to learn to stand up for themselves sounds slightly unfair to me. My parents only knew after they booked the tickets and they did express their anger towards them. However, you got to understand that these tourists don't care about others but themselves. It is all about them, NOT US! Even if my parents did tell them to cancel the ticket - they wouldn't. They would literally do anything to get here and then they would come to our business place. Some things are easier said than done - and this is just one of those cases
Reply 6
I get where you are coming from but to say that my parents need to learn to stand up for themselves sounds slightly unfair to me. My parents only knew after they booked the tickets and they did express their anger towards them. However, you got to understand that these tourists don't care about others but themselves. It is all about them, NOT US! Even if my parents did tell them to cancel the ticket - they wouldn't. They would literally do anything to get here and then they would come to our business place. Some things are easier said than done - and this is just one of those cases

My mum would have told them to sleep outside in the cold, then followed up with a restraining order if they persisted to her place of work. We also have extended family who are selfish and always beg for money, but everyone understands the phrase "Never call this number again". Sometimes you really do need just a no bullcrap approach.

Obviously I cannot tell your familly what you should and shouldn't do. But if someone makes me unhappy in my own home, that is the last straw. That is just how we'd handle it
Reply 7
Original post by Another
My mum would have told them to sleep outside in the cold, then followed up with a restraining order if they persisted to her place of work. We also have extended family who are selfish and always beg for money, but everyone understands the phrase "Never call this number again". Sometimes you really do need just a no bullcrap approach.

Obviously I cannot tell your familly what you should and shouldn't do. But if someone makes me unhappy in my own home, that is the last straw. That is just how we'd handle it

Yeah obviously my parents were not that savage, how could they do it to their own siblings you know? This time, the tourists know they are in the wrong and they are not enjoying themselves that well. I think my parents even told them that you can't really enjoy the festive Christmas period the same way you would for the summer period. Personally, I am not doing them any favours. They asked me if I am going to the boxing day sales to which I smiled and said no. I told them I may order online or go during the January sales - when they may not be around :P
Thanks for your response.

The thing is, I live at home with my parents and family. Both my parents were also not happy about them not consulting us before they booked the tickets to come here - and well they own a business. Therefore, we have to manage that well too and we rarely go on holiday as a family - unless it is like me or my sister going with friends. This Christmas we were planning to do something over Christmas day as a family but those plans had to change to accomodate for the tourists to come over. They are very emotional and break down for the smallest of things. They are taking advantage of me because I am nice? I don't think so mate, I don't clean up for others or do things for others (except my blood family). I am not that much of a nice person but I do not undermine or argue against my parents wishes. My father wanted me to take them around, so I am only doing all of this for him - NOT THEM. They are like this with anyone and they don't care what others do or feel - so long as they get their $h1t done. They are notorious for their selfishness and getting things done the way they please. I may as well look at a one sided way and shout at it myself. Last time I started arguing with them they were not making any sense and I felt it wasn't leading me anywhere. So in the end, I just ignored them. This time, I have not personally be doing them any favours and I think they are starting to see it now

Good for you. Make 'em see they're not welcome.

'Dont be nice' applies to your parents too. Time for your parents to refuse to open the door when the scumbag relatives turn up. & call the cops if they won't leave.

My dad's a softie like your parents, and let some relative overstay. Relative made thousands of pounds worth of phone calls, emptied the fridge, and had the TV on watching online boxset so nobody could use it for 2 f*cking weeks. & did relative pay for it all --- no way!

I had a row with dad and dad wouldn't do anything until I told him: if relative stays, I'm moving out. Dad asked relative to leave and we got our house back.
Original post by Another

I love your mom!:biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Good for you. Make 'em see they're not welcome.

'Dont be nice' applies to your parents too. Time for your parents to refuse to open the door when the scumbag relatives turn up. & call the cops if they won't leave.

My dad's a softie like your parents, and let some relative overstay. Relative made thousands of pounds worth of phone calls, emptied the fridge, and had the TV on watching online boxset so nobody could use it for 2 f*cking weeks. & did relative pay for it all --- no way!

I had a row with dad and dad wouldn't do anything until I told him: if relative stays, I'm moving out. Dad asked relative to leave and we got our house back.

Well to be fair I don't think my parents or myself were trying to be nice at all. It was just a shock to the system to say the least. We were lately asked if they could be taken for the boxing day sales and market stalls. I told them that I couldn't because I got other things to attend to. They had the cheek to ask if I ever shop and I was like yeah I do, in fact I just bought £50 worth of goods online on boxing day and I feel like a boss! They have been housebound due to me not taking them out and parents sorting out their business

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending