Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Imperial and UCL and LSE to merge watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by integral_neo)
    What do u think about if Imperial merge with UCL or LSE? I am sure if that hapens it will be the top uni in the UK and perhaps the whole world...
    One of the pros of the proposed merger in 2002 was that the new "University of London" would seriously compete with Oxford and Cambridge in terms of attracting students, reputation, research grants etc...

The main problem was that neither the students nor the lecturers wanted it to happen. The students didn't want it either cos they dislike the other uni or because they may feel they're degree would be watered down. There also an issue as to whether the numbers in the new uni would degrade their education. Another problem was that UCL would have had to close a lot of their departments (it was seen more like a takeover rather that a merger) and many would've lost they're jobs. Also UCL has a few financial probs from what I've heard (?).

Maybe a merger with LSE is in the distance but I don't think it'll happen. It's prob better for Imperial to merge with LSE than with UCL, but to be honest LSE already has a tip-top reputation. LSE and Imperial do work closely together on a number of things, prob the best type of relationship.

(Original post by pkonline)
    One of the pros of the proposed merger in 2002 was that the new "University of London" would seriously compete with Oxford and Cambridge in terms of attracting students, reputation, research grants etc...

The main problem was that neither the students nor the lecturers wanted it to happen. The students didn't want it either cos they dislike the other uni or because they may feel they're degree would be watered down. There also an issue as to whether the numbers in the new uni would degrade their education. Another problem was that UCL would have had to close a lot of their departments (it was seen more like a takeover rather that a merger) and many would've lost they're jobs. Also UCL has a few financial probs from what I've heard (?).

Maybe a merger with LSE is in the distance but I don't think it'll happen. It's prob better for Imperial to merge with LSE than with UCL, but to be honest LSE already has a tip-top reputation. LSE and Imperial do work closely together on a number of things, prob the best type of relationship.

But Imperial are full of nerds! If the LSE is to take over Imperial in the future we'll have to flush them out.

ReputationRep:
    Mergers are a tricky subject. I would imagine that a merger between Imperial and LSE would look really good on paper, but could be full of questions and problems?

Pros

Two internationally famous institutions joining forces would have a lot of potential in creating a even stronger institutions. One specializes in Sciences and the other in Social Sciences....would be very interesting

New combined uni would have a law school, business school, and med school along with the other famous depts.

Seems to sound really awesome...

However...Some of the immediate problems that I see

For starters, what would you call the new merged institution....uni branding is pretty important....Imperial University.....London School of Everything....how would they smoothly transition the global marketing of the new name??

Would the institution have multiple campuses a la KCL. Kensington Campus, Wye Campus, Aldwych Campus....who would have to move.....this could get pretty ugly. Transportation logistics....could be some really long commutes...

Would any deptments have to merge resulting in firing of profs...I don't think so but it might happen.

Finally there will most likely be many political battles between the LSE higher powers and Imperial higher powers...Do they both have equal influence or will one side dominate

Would a merger bring about a seperation from UOL system....what would be the impact of that?

How much could this whole thing cost....by the way. It won't be cheap.

ReputationRep:
    What do u think about if Imperial merge with UCL or LSE? I am sure if that hapens it will be the top uni in the UK and perhaps the whole world...
    Ignoring LSE, they have It's called UoL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    But Imperial are full of nerds! If the LSE is to take over Imperial in the future we'll have to flush them out.
    come on, they can't ALL be nerds...i saw sum pics of last yrs freshers fair n sum of the peeps looked ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Lol, I didn't mean that and you know it.

I don't play chess thank you very much

AHEM.....I don't see why chess has to be viewed in such a geeky manner.... it is after all played by many a famous and stupid bunch (celebs), in addition to us more brainy but non-nerdy types.
    Dear Gnostic, just because you will never comprehend the wonderful plotting and scheming that goes on, to slaughter your enemy as easily as that of a pig by a pig farmer, you don't need to deride and poke fun at it. After all, the creation of such complex and yet artistic combinations could never be formed by your ignorant mind.

*Narrows eyes*
    What's your excuse for not embracing the great game Mysticmin? You need not be a geek as your admirer Gnostic suggests, for geeks cannot play chess, they can only push pieces along a chequered board.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial_baby)
    come on, they can't ALL be nerds...i saw sum pics of last yrs freshers fair n sum of the peeps looked ok!
    Oh don't worry dearie, I'm sure you will happen upon some "buff guys" if you look hard enough and take a break from all that studying you'll be expected to do.

ReputationRep:
    arent they all part of the same uni (university of London), just different colleges? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    No way should Imperial merge with LSE - too many geeks in Imperial. And UCL is the shitbucket of UK academia - best to close it down.
    lse is a tiny bit of rubbish compared to ucl and ic. u say imperial is full of geeks but to most other people lse is just as full if not more as its concentrated. also ur not exactly enhancing its reputaion on here as ur just strenghtening the view that lse students are typical forumites, goths and general disgraces socially. push.co.uk said that lse is manily for people who study all the time, hence their seemingly abysmal SU. ucl is the best multi faculty uni after oxbridge and is full of more diverse people then lse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prologue)
    lse is a tiny bit of rubbish compared to ucl and ic. u say imperial is full of geeks but to most other people lse is just as full if not more as its concentrated. also ur not exactly enhancing its reputaion on here as ur just strenghtening the view that lse students are typical forumites, goths and general disgraces socially. push.co.uk said that lse is manily for people who study all the time, hence their seemingly abysmal SU. ucl is the best multi faculty uni after oxbridge and is full of more diverse people then lse.
    Excellent words comrade, i agree whole-heartedly!!

ReputationRep:
    well said - UCL rocks

ReputationRep:
    It's a great idea. Problem is the sheer bloodymindedness of academics, who like opposing things for the sake of it, and also the failed merger between UCL and Imperial left huge wreckage.

If it does happen it will be a long time ahead, but it makes sense, especially as there is so much existing collaboration, and after all technically they belong to the same university already.

A lot of people will feel threatened, especially in a certain two 'heritage' universities within reach of London, so expect much opposition if it is mooted, just as with the UCL/Imperial 'marriage'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)

Yes, but if you aggregate their credentials and achievements they have already for a long time competed with Oxbridge, and in social sciences and engineering /technology/medicinethey have surpassed it for most of the last 100 years.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to disappoint you, but the position is almost exactly the reverse of what you say. Incidentally do you always write in that naff text-messaging style?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    well said - UCL rocks
    Sure, but the trouble is nobody has heard of it. A great place, with a great history, but no public impact and not particularly high A Level entry, considering its achievements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    Sure, but the trouble is nobody has heard of it. A great place, with a great history, but no public impact and not particularly high A Level entry, considering its achievements.
    Same could be said of Imperial College. My cousin studies at the MIT and she'd never even heard of the place when i told her i was putting ICL as my insurance, me expecting her to react with shock and horror like my teachers and friends at my choosing Bristol as my firm over ICL. As for UCL, i don't see why there's so much dislike for the place, it's the far coolest of the London colleges, that's for certain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mongoose)
    As for UCL, i don't see why there's so much dislike for the place, it's the far coolest of the London colleges, that's for certain.
    Very good point

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that but I was told by an LSE student that it catagorically wasn't!

Wait til I see him...

Shut up PQ

DONT GO ONTO THE LINKS PEOPLE - ITS FULL OF LIES

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    Sorry to disappoint you, but the position is almost exactly the reverse of what you say. Incidentally do you always write in that naff text-messaging style?
    u must be an utter wreck by the compilation of your sorry words. how is the position the exact reverse. u say that and u dont justify. yeah just say it without saying which parts of it, thats great.

many university guides that ive read in book shops have said that lse has a horrendous student union compared to ucl for example. also, lse is seen as a small half-isolated from the rest of UoL type of place with many introverted people with the sole purpose of work. not thatthis is a bad thing as uni is about the degree of course but that bigles was sayin that ic is full of geeks when lse is generally viewed as one of the most anti-social unis there is.

also it doesnt really matter if lse has a better international standing bcos i dont wanna go to uni just for this. id rather go for a better social life, meeting a much wider variety of different types of people studying a wide range of course and a good location and general area. added on to the fact that ucl is overall the thrid best multi faculty uni and one of the best if not the best for a range of subjects, i thinkucl overall is better then lse - one of the factors contributing to this is that it goes without saying to people who have experience of the 2 unis that ucl is way cooler.

the formation of lse societies and sports clubs is also frankly a debacle in this day and age. the rowing club for example is ramshackle to say the least with hardly any members and overall lse is absolutely attrocious at sport.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.