Trackstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm studying maths and physics at the University of York. I was originally planning on pursuing a career in patent law however I fear I'm just not smart enough, particularly as they take into account GCSE's and A-levels which weren't good for me. So my question is what are some of the highest paying jobs you can get with a STEM degree with or with postgraduate study?
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Trackstar)
I'm studying maths and physics at the University of York. I was originally planning on pursuing a career in patent law however I fear I'm just not smart enough, particularly as they take into account GCSE's and A-levels which weren't good for me. So my question is what are some of the highest paying jobs you can get with a STEM degree with or with postgraduate study?
Shouldn't you be looking at careers (where you'll spend 60%+ of your time) from an interest perspective? Rather than a purely monetary one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mystery.
Report 3 years ago
Footballer.
Trapz99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Investment banking -> Private equity -> (10 years later) -> £1 million a year
Aspiring123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Trapz99)
OR
IB (for 2-3 years) -> $1 billion Hedge Fund -> 1 mil a year (after 4-5 years). With a Hedge Fund you will earn more than your investment banking counterparts but you need to go to at least a $1 bil Fund, otherwise no point.
username2560671
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mystery.)
Footballer.
You don't need a degree for that m8
Trapz99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Samendra)
OR
IB (for 2-3 years) -> $1 billion Hedge Fund -> 1 mil a year (after 4-5 years). With a Hedge Fund you will earn more than your investment banking counterparts but you need to go to at least a $1 bil Fund, otherwise no point.
lol I don't think hedge fund people earn £1 million a year after just 4-5 years. They're like 28 years old by then.
cake_lover
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol I don't think hedge fund people earn £1 million a year after just 4-5 years. They're like 28 years old by then.
Shhh... you gotta let these IB folk live in their fantasy world lol
Trackstar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
Shouldn't you be looking at careers (where you'll spend 60%+ of your time) from an interest perspective? Rather than a purely monetary one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely, I just wan't to get an idea of the pay range.
Trackstar
Rep:
?
is that realistic though?
Trapz99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
is that realistic though?
No it's very competitive to get into. There are 100+ applicants for every job.
Trackstar
Rep:
?
No it's very competitive to get into. There are 100+ applicants for every job.
thought so
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Absolutely, I just wan't to get an idea of the pay range.
Sure but a degree nowadays means you can basically do any career (granted you're good enough) from grad entry med, law conversion, to generalist grad schemes, finance, software engineering, traditional engineering, sales whatever..

So best to start from an interest point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aspiring123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can easily actually, all in you could make 1 mil after 5 years into a good Fund, remember this is after 2-3 years in IB. After 5 years you would be a research analyst or a junior trader depending on your performance, you bonus could well be £500000-600000. Including base you are looking at £800000-1000000.
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can easily actually, all in you could make 1 mil after 5 years into a good Fund, remember this is after 2-3 years in IB. After 5 years you would be a research analyst or a junior trader depending on your performance, you bonus could well be £500000-600000. Including base you are looking at £800000-1000000.
Source?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aspiring123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Source?

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfrRsTd_-mE
check this vid out, its a bit long but watch the first 10min to get the idea
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfrRsTd_-mE
check this vid out, its a bit long but watch the first 10min to get the idea
Loool anton kreil smh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aspiring123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by princepieman)
loool anton kreil smh

posted from tsr mobile
loooolll
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The requirements for patent law aren't as high as you think they are.
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah.. typical post-banking HF comp is pretty similar to what you'd make in banking as an associate but with a small premium.

Some people do make bank tho, so it depends. Like I know a guy who's been at a $2bn fund in NY for like 5 years who pulls in ~$600k as a mid-level analyst (not the banking type of analyst).

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (137)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.36%
No - I live at home during term anyway (141)
29.31%

Watched Threads