Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi.
    Can anyone tell me what is the best and healthiest oil to use for stir fries?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would probably use some sort of vegetable oil, although I have used many different alternatives in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Use Sesame oil, I dunno about healthiness, but it sure tastes the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomber)
    Use Sesame oil, I dunno about healthiness, but it sure tastes the best.
    Yup. Peanut oil and Groundnut oil is good too.

ReputationRep:
    if you're thinking about calories, you could always make my 'no fry stir fry' ... i just grill the chicken or whatever meat on my foreman grill (you can just use an ordinary grill), steam the vegetable and then combine the two with a bit of soy/oyster/any stirfry sauce.

ReputationRep:
    groundnut - It heats to a higher temperature so you can stir fry properly - quickly and with much heat - although a mix of groundnut and sesame is good as you get the flavour too - never use olive as it has too low a flash point.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a well-seasoned decent wok (used a lot, wiped out with kitchen roll rather than washed with soap and water) you shouldn't need very much oil at all to stir fry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    ... never use olive as it has too low a flash point.
    ...and tastes horrible after it's been cooked at to high a temperature.

If you insist on using Olive oil, don't use extra virgin or virgin as the extra refining of the cheper stuff means a higher smoke point.

Grapeseed is another good stir fry oil.

ReputationRep:
    I use fry light 1 cal spray. it doesn't smell very nice, but it works and doesn't make the stirfry taste bad.

Either that or I just use light soy sauce.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies!!!

ReputationRep:
    i use the 1 cal per spray olive oil too! really good and cant taste it. best just to use a good non-stick wok though so oil is hardly needed

ReputationRep:
    Use a really tiny amount of groundnut oil, is best.

If you want to use sesame oil for flavour, then add a small amount (a teaspoon or two) right at the end of frying, don't use it for cooking with.

ReputationRep:
    you can cook with no oil, get a good non-stick wok(you can just about manage without it being non-stick) and throw everything in like you normally would but pu a little bit of water in at the bottom, just a small amount and keep topping it up when there's none left. Not sure how meat cooks like that though so you may want to grill it. Its not as tasty as with seasame oil but it also smells less and its not 1/2 bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Use a really tiny amount of groundnut oil, is best.

If you want to use sesame oil for flavour, then add a small amount (a teaspoon or two) right at the end of frying, don't use it for cooking with.
    Yeah, sesame oil is really a seasoning. It's not meant to be used as a cooking oil.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A vegetable oil is best:

In terms of healthiness: Rapeseed is the best one of these (normally labelled vegetable but on ingredients it is listed as rapeseed)

Or Olive oil for omega 3's. (you can get milder ones which taste nicer)

Use as little as possible, or a spray oil. Or as mentioned before use water instead of oil.

ReputationRep:
    Yummyist: Sesame oil.

Healthiest: 1 kcal spray.

ReputationRep:
    If you use sesame oil or olive oil to stir fry, it will burn. When it burns it turns to transfats, which are actually rather bad for you. Use groundoil for frying and then season with sesame oil imo.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    All oils will cause trans fats including groundnut oil (but only at very high temperatures for a long time, e.g. if you use the same oil multiple times, e.g. chip fryers in chip shops who don't change the oil as frequently as they should) (and i've yet to see conclusive evidence about the negative effects of trans fats - its all quite controversial at the minute) In a stir fry its unlikely to cause significant amounts of trans fats.

I don't like the taste of oils in stirfrys so i use water instead.

Basically the type of oil is personal choice on taste etc.

ReputationRep:
    You use water to stirfry? Does that work well?
    And I realise all oils will turn into trans-fats with prolonged/high heating, but for one time use ground-oil can withstand stirfrying.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm just not fond of the greasiness of stir fries - I like them done that way.

I fry all my meats/onions etc when making other dishes in a bit of water rather than oil as well. It depends on what you prefer. I've never had a problem with meats not cooking etc doing it that way. It also works in a good non stick pan. (dry frying)

All oils will be fine for just one time use, they don't automatically turn into trans fats straight away. I think it comes down to personal taste.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.