Turn on thread page Beta

Economics: Oxford and Cambridge (whats so hard about posting in the right subforum?) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, ive heard economics at cambridge is much better than at oxford (economics and management), what is it like trying to get onto either course (apart from- difficult! lol)?

By the way, i dont understand something on the oxford website:

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/mema.shtml

It clearly states that the annual itake is 6, but Percentage of successful applications over last three years: 53%!!!!!!!! How can it be so high for a course that only takes 6??!! Does only 11 people apply per year or something>>!!

(Original post by faa)
    Hi, ive heard economics at cambridge is much better than at oxford (economics and management), what is it like trying to get onto either course (apart from- difficult! lol)?

It clearly states that the annual itake is 6, but Percentage of successful applications over last three years: 53%!!!!!!!! How can it be so high for a course that only takes 6??!! Does only 11 people apply per year or something>>!!
    Cambridge and LSE are the top dogs of economics – all the big dicks studied\taught there. In contrast Oxford doesn’t really have a tradition of economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)

You're on the wrong page:
    http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/ecma.shtml

ReputationRep:
    no- it was the right page, because i was simply browsing as that degree interested me as well, so can you belive that 6 out of 11 are succesful (although its combined with the other degree)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    no- it was the right page, because i was simply browsing as that degree interested me as well, so can you belive that 6 out of 11 are succesful (although its combined with the other degree)?
    Okay, I thought you were just looking at Economics & Management. Evidently MEM doesn't interest many other people! There are other courses at Oxbridge that have similar acceptance rates though.

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon oxford/cambridge (havent decided yet) and LSE wouldnt mind me doing A Level statistics instead of Mathematics, basically u do units S1-S6 instead of P1-P4, + (two additional units) ?? Afterall this is an economics degree......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    Do you reckon oxford/cambridge (havent decided yet) and LSE wouldnt mind me doing A Level statistics instead of Mathematics, basically u do units S1-S6 instead of P1-P4, + (two additional units) ?? Afterall this is an economics degree......
    I think you'll need to contact the universities directly about that, but I suspect you'd be better doing Maths rather than Stats. Most top universities will not accept applicants without A Level Maths and many departments state that they prefer students to study as many pure modules as possible. I did A Level Maths & Stats (P1, P2, P4, P5, S1 & S4), which seemed to be a good combination.

ReputationRep:
    see, im pretty sure that maths has changed for 2004-2005, for the general maths- u have to do p1-p4 and then any two from (s1,s2,m1,m2,d1,d2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    have u done a-level economics? i did maths a-level and was told by them not to bother applying as i didnt have economics a-level. with the large number of applicants i would have to assume that if lots of people offer a-level economics AND maths, they may be more likely to go for them. having said that, im gonna be studying economics at exeter uni, and on their website it shows the course content. the optional maths content for economics that they offer is basically a-level pure maths, and then applying it to economics. so there would be no PROBLEM in you having not done a-level pure maths, as you go over it in the course, but they may WANT you to have it - cos their annoying like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    see, im pretty sure that maths has changed for 2004-2005, for the general maths- u have to do p1-p4 and then any two from (s1,s2,m1,m2,d1,d2)
    i have just done maths a-level, i did P1, P2, P3 and S1, S2, M1.
    but yeah i think its changed a lot now - in fact i dont think u have to do as much pure if you dont want to - people can opt to do more s**t decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    All that hard work on P4 and P5 and now I could get an A Level with P1, P2, P3 and S1, S2, M1? They'd better be increasing the grade boundaries!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    All that hard work on P4 and P5 and now I could get an A Level with P1, P2, P3 and S1, S2, M1? They'd better be increasing the grade boundaries!
    Actually, you're not gonna like this but that was the old A-level. The new A-level see the previous 3 pure module being spread over 4 modules (with no actual change in material that has to be learnt) meaning you only have to do 2 applied modules. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Actually, you're not gonna like this but that was the old A-level. The new A-level see the previous 3 pure module being spread over 4 modules (with no actual change in material that has to be learnt) meaning you only have to do 2 applied modules. :rolleyes:
    I would complain, but at least our school will be able to finish the AS modules before the exams now. And I guess I'll be better prepared for my course than I thought if nobody without Further Maths has done the higher level pure modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    It is quite a specific course though. I can't imagine that many people would want to apply.

ReputationRep:
    but yeah i think its changed a lot now - in fact i dont think u have to do as much pure if you dont want to - people can opt to do more s**t decision

:eek: desicions maths is not s**t :eek: i did D1 D2 its very interesting and helps with computing stuf..business decision making...economics game theory...it certainly will help help more if ur doin either computing or economics/business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    i would have LOVED to have done P4 and P5, - pure is my strongest point. i hated doing mechanics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by integral_neo)
    :eek: desicions maths is not s**t :eek: i did D1 D2 its very interesting and helps with computing stuf..business decision making...economics game theory...it certainly will help help more if ur doin either computing or economics/business
    yeah fair enough - but im much more classical in my view on maths. i like my algebra and trigonometry etc. im gonna be doing economics at uni - and id rather have a much more solid base on differentiation and other basic mathematical methods which can help with economic decision making rather than an over-view of "computing or economics/business" methods from D1, D2

ReputationRep:
    yeah fair enough - but im much more classical in my view on maths. i like my algebra and trigonometry etc. im gonna be doing economics at uni - and id rather have a much more solid base on differentiation and other basic mathematical methods which can help with economic decision making rather than an over-view of "computing or economics/business" methods from D1, D2
    game theory comes under macroeconomics (the fundamental topic in economics) :rolleyes:

anyway ur rep didnt count because ur own reputation is negative! so try again when u have positive rep (btw thanx for appreciation, and it took me 2 hours scanning all those papers and uploading them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by integral_neo)
    game theory comes under macroeconomics (the fundamental topic in economics) :rolleyes:
    D1+D2 can be useful, but a lot of the teachers at my school didn't like it because they thought it was too dull and easy for most of the students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    D1+D2 can be useful, but a lot of the teachers at my school didn't like it because they thought it was too dull and easy for most of the students.
    still is useful though...

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.