hannah123.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi!
I'm hoping to study English Lit at the UEA next year with a foundation year. I understand that everyone who does a foundation year are in the same classes despite what degree they'll be progressing onto. Is anyone else starting next year? I would love to hear experiences from people who have already completed a foundation year and what their timetable was like.

Thanks!
RooPitt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey! I'm doing a humanities foundation year but in politics!
From talking to those who have done one they've all found it useful and overall less time consuming than the first year (average 10 hours a week + reading)

Posted from TSR Mobile
soliloquyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I'm on the UEA Foundation Year atm and a course rep!

The foundation year has a two semester long module called Key Concepts which is shared between all the students regardless of the degree they will progress onto. It covers key concepts of the humanities like studies on gender, psychoanalysis, marxism, etc.

In your first semester you'll study Key Concepts, a module called Techniques and Methods (which is one semester long and is about improving your essay writing skills, your presentation skills, learning how to reference properly, etc) and either a module called Creative Industries (which looks at industries like music, publishing, game design, etc.) or a language.

Your second semester you'll then do Key Concepts plus two elective modules. As you're going onto English Lit, you'll have to do the Literature & the Humanities module! But your second module can be any one you choose - History, Politics, Media, Visual Cultures etc. Each module is compulsory for the degree you'll go on to do - so if someone is doing History after the Foundation Year, they have to do the History module and so on.

Timetable is good. About 20 hrs of study is expected a week (you can get away with less but i wouldn't recommend it ) and it's pretty tough! but it's really interesting and I'm so glad I've done it because I feel so much more confident about next year.

I hope I helped! If you have any more questions I'll probably respond eventually but I dont go on TSR that much
hannah123.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by soliloquyy)
Hi, I'm on the UEA Foundation Year atm and a course rep!

The foundation year has a two semester long module called Key Concepts which is shared between all the students regardless of the degree they will progress onto. It covers key concepts of the humanities like studies on gender, psychoanalysis, marxism, etc.

In your first semester you'll study Key Concepts, a module called Techniques and Methods (which is one semester long and is about improving your essay writing skills, your presentation skills, learning how to reference properly, etc) and either a module called Creative Industries (which looks at industries like music, publishing, game design, etc.) or a language.

Your second semester you'll then do Key Concepts plus two elective modules. As you're going onto English Lit, you'll have to do the Literature & the Humanities module! But your second module can be any one you choose - History, Politics, Media, Visual Cultures etc. Each module is compulsory for the degree you'll go on to do - so if someone is doing History after the Foundation Year, they have to do the History module and so on.

Timetable is good. About 20 hrs of study is expected a week (you can get away with less but i wouldn't recommend it ) and it's pretty tough! but it's really interesting and I'm so glad I've done it because I feel so much more confident about next year.

I hope I helped! If you have any more questions I'll probably respond eventually but I dont go on TSR that much
Thank you so much! This has really helped and given me a much clearer idea of what to expect from the foundation year! I'm looking forward to it!

Would you be able to tell me what the timetable is like? For instance what time do you usually start and finish and how many lectures/seminar groups you have?
soliloquyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lessons happen any time between 9am and 4pm latest I believe. I have 4 contact hours per week per subject, including a 1 hour lecture for English and Politics and then a 3 hour seminar. Key Concepts is two 2 hour lessons.

I wouldn't know about the lecture/seminar groups but we have about 168 students in HUMFY this year and I've definitely not met them all! We get one group per subject and we stick to it unless we request a change as far as I know. Lectures are given to everyone studying the relevant module at the same time in one place & will always be before your seminar
hannah123.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by soliloquyy)
Lessons happen any time between 9am and 4pm latest I believe. I have 4 contact hours per week per subject, including a 1 hour lecture for English and Politics and then a 3 hour seminar. Key Concepts is two 2 hour lessons.

I wouldn't know about the lecture/seminar groups but we have about 168 students in HUMFY this year and I've definitely not met them all! We get one group per subject and we stick to it unless we request a change as far as I know. Lectures are given to everyone studying the relevant module at the same time in one place & will always be before your seminar
Thanks!

Sorry I didn't mean how many students there are in each group, I meant how many hours do you do a week eg. Whether you're in seminars or lectures
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed