Have we become a society of robots who don't know how to live at all?

Watch
EC
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A dominant theme in our society is that you should be happy, and if you're not, there's something wrong with you.

The majority of us is so superficial, selfish and careless, it has become such a normal behavior, that we don't even realize it.

Relationships have no meaning, people don't listen to what you have to say or you can't even speak your mind to them because you know it's pointless. No wonder depression is an epidemic disease in these modern times..
It is tragic that society has lost its way.

We don't know how to enjoy ourselves or the company of others and we take for granted what we shouldn't. We are afraid that robots might take away our lives, but we are indeed doing a good job replacing them.

What do you think is the cause of this unhappiness that surrounds us?
jenniferhh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I encourage you to read The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins. It's not peoples fault.
Kiritsugu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Elena.Catalina)
I've recently come to the conclusion that I let myself be treated horribly by horrible girls that were supposed to be my friends only because I constantly thought that there was something wrong with myself. A dominant theme in our society is that you should be happy, and if you're not, there's something wrong with you.
The majority of us is so superficial, selfish and careless, it has become such a normal behavior, that we don't even realize it. Relationships have no meaning, people don't listen to what you have to say or you can't even speak your mind to them because you know it's pointless. No wonder depression is an epidemic disease in these modern times..
It is tragic that society has lost its way.
We don't know how to enjoy ourselves or the company of others and we take for granted what we shouldn't. We are afraid that robots might take away our lives, but we are indeed doing a good job replacing them.

What do you think is the cause of this unhappiness that surrounds us?
You write quite well, especially the last part, and I basically agree with every single point you've mentioned. People are becoming very highly superficial, relationships lack meaning, and people tell you from day 1 that you have to be successful or be this and that. If they don't tell you, they show you.

Don't let yourself be treated horribly by passive aggressive and or otherwise horrible people. If you want change, you have to be the change. People will ostracise you if they can't see an immediate benefit to them and they will tell you things because they've gotten so used to you being the same way you are and will convince you to not change. In such situations, just politely tell them, not of the facts, but of your emotions. Check this out:
EC
(Original post by jenniferhh)
I encourage you to read The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins. It's not peoples fault.
Thank you for the recommendation.
user382
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://www.theminimalists.com/fc/
user382
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I completely agree.

One of the reasons I suffer from existential depression.
EC
(Original post by Kiritsugu)
You write quite well, especially the last part, and I basically agree with every single point you've mentioned. People are becoming very highly superficial, relationships lack meaning, and people tell you from day 1 that you have to be successful or be this and that. If they don't tell you, they show you.

Don't let yourself be treated horribly by passive aggressive and or otherwise horrible people. If you want change, you have to be the change. People will ostracise you if they can't see an immediate benefit to them and they will tell you things because they've gotten so used to you being the same way you are and will convince you to not change. In such situations, just politely tell them, not of the facts, but of your emotions. Check this out:
Yeah, I've noticed that the benefit alone is more important than anything.

I am trying to be optimistic and see the positive aspect of it.

Maybe it all comes down to a part in your life when you realize that you need to make a change.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stefano865)
I completely agree.

One of the reasons I suffer from existential depression.
:rofl:

Spoiler:
Show
Really? existential depression?
Kiritsugu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, I've noticed that the benefit alone is more important than anything.

I am trying to be optimistic and see the positive aspect of it.

Maybe it all comes down to a part in your life when you realize that you need to make a change.
I think you are right. Some will argue that there's no point adapting to this cold and trashy world. Others will argue that changing yourself is just a compromise by society feeding you a convenient little fib.

I think that when you see things in a positive light, the world doesn't seem so cold or trashy anymore.
I believe that when you accept change without accepting the lie society gives you, that's when you can truly experience happiness.
EC
great points
EC
(Original post by Kiritsugu)
I think you are right. Some will argue that there's no point adapting to this cold and trashy world. Others will argue that changing yourself is just a compromise by society feeding you a convenient little fib.

I think that when you see things in a positive light, the world doesn't seem so cold or trashy anymore.
I believe that when you accept change without accepting the lie society gives you, that's when you can truly experience happiness.
Maybe it is a compromise, but it is also a matter of health, especially mental, emotional.

I do share your opinions.
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
great points
You can't be serious. Which of the points are great? that it is somehow soul-crushing that we haven't gone through a Great Depression or another World War?

Pfff...
Abdukazam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Build a raft, push it out to sea, wherever it lands, just enjoy it... My future after getting my A-level results.
EC
(Original post by RainbowMan)
You can't be serious. Which of the points are great? that it is somehow soul-crushing that we haven't gone through a Great Depression or another World War?

Pfff...
4, 24, 26.
I liked those.
EC
(Original post by Abdukazam)
Build a raft, push it out to sea, wherever it lands, just enjoy it... My future after getting my A-level results.
:rofl2:
I wish it would be that easyyy.
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Betteridge's law of headlines
user382
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RainbowMan)

Pfff...

Any excuse to post Fight Club quotes...

Yes existential depression. While I acknowledge this is the best time in the history of humanity to be alive I still struggle with feelings of how utterly pointless life is.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/what-is-...al-depression/

http://www.experienceproject.com/sto...ressed/1740024
user382
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
4, 24, 26.
I liked those.

I'm glad.

Here you go. Something else to cheer you up...

http://www.experienceproject.com/sto...ressed/1740024
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You are right. We don't know how to live well. Indeed we've lost sight of the fact that living is a performative undertaking that admits of being done variously well.

• Happiness has become an expectation rather than an ambition.
  • Self respect has been replaced by self esteem. There is an industry in specifically and only raising this latter, with it never even considered that the present (low) sense of self esteem might be accurate self-assessment indicative of a need for change, still less that any appropriate adjustment might be downward.
  • We expect that wants will be gratified, and at once. We feel cheated if they are not.
  • Choice is the preeminent good. Contentment is the product of consumption.
  • We employ folk-versions of social science etiologies to shift responsibility from proximal to distal causes. This except where our behaviours are obviously meritorious (i.e. no-one who saves a drowing child explains himself as having done so because of his genes, his background, economic pressures, workplace stress, or the inequities of the class system)
  • 'I am entitled to my opinion'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.52%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed