Sophie.cerys
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What's your typical day at uni?
How difficult is the workload?
Do you have to do placements as part of the course? If so, how long for?
Is it enjoyable and are you glad that you chose to do it?
What sort of person do you have to be to study veterinary science?

And anything else you could tell me would be amazing!
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lizziefickling
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sophie.cerys)
What's your typical day at uni?
How difficult is the workload?
Do you have to do placements as part of the course? If so, how long for?
Is it enjoyable and are you glad that you chose to do it?
What sort of person do you have to be to study veterinary science?

And anything else you could tell me would be amazing!
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Each uni is different. I'm at liverpool, however I'm a third year now so the course is slightly different to first and second year.

First year a general day was 9-5. We had lectures in 2 week blocks so forelimb, hindlimb etc. During those two weeks we would have a practical or a dissection related to the area we were being taught at the time.

Workload is manageable if you keep on top of it and don't get behind, it's hard but vet medicine is never going to be easy. If you learn as you go along you manage.

We have to complete so many weeks of EMS which is required by the RCVS. Our uni splits our EMS into the 5 years and gives us a guideline of what we should be doing each year. In first year it was recommended we did 6 weeks husbandry EMS and 2 weeks clinical. Husbandry Included pigs, chickens, dairy, dogs and cats, lambing and horses. Clinical could be either large, small or equine although quite a few big equine practices (around me anyway) prefer 4th and 5th year students and won't take first years.

Enjoyable, yes, I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it but it is very stressful at times and there are some less fun parts of it (exams). It's worth it at the end.

What kind of person? I can't really answer that, you need to be dedicated to the course to be able to see it through, you need to be able to carry on when stuff gets hard, and you need to not give up at the first hurdle. Obviously you need to like animals, and be ok to work with people, but every single vet student is different and none of us are the same, we all have good and bad points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads