The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Computing 2017 Online Admissions Test - Imperial College

Just as a brief introduction, I am an overseas student who received an e-mail regarding an admissions test yesterday.

I have found some discussions from last year regarding the admissions test here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3872155#primary_content
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3153909#primary_content
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2599032#primary_content

I was wondering if the admissions test invitation for overseas students is essentially an interview invitation. Also, what should I do to prepare for the test? I am currently an IB student who was predicted a 7 for Mathematics HL, but I have no clue on what to do to prepare for the test...

Apparently, the actual test itself is 45 minutes with 6 questions with a logic question...

Any Computing applicants out there who's in a similar situation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spark99

I was wondering if the admissions test invitation for overseas students is essentially an interview invitation.

I got invited for the test too although I already had my interview on the 6th of December. I know of people who are in the same situation as well. I guess what matters now is preparation for the test. Mine's on the 6th of January. :frown:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by spark99

the actual test itself is 45 minutes

It says 'you should allow at least 90 minutes for the whole exercise' in the email I received.
Reply 3
Mine is on 10th January.
Reply 4
Is the paper based on multiple choice questions or do do we need to actually solve and show the working?
Reply 5
Original post by kishen111
It says 'you should allow at least 90 minutes for the whole exercise' in the email I received.

Apparently the first 45 minutes is a practice session...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Mine is on 10th January, too.
Reply 7
Original post by spark99
Just as a brief introduction, I am an overseas student who received an e-mail regarding an admissions test yesterday.

I have found some discussions from last year regarding the admissions test here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3872155#primary_content
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3153909#primary_content
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2599032#primary_content

I was wondering if the admissions test invitation for overseas students is essentially an interview invitation. Also, what should I do to prepare for the test? I am currently an IB student who was predicted a 7 for Mathematics HL, but I have no clue on what to do to prepare for the test...

Apparently, the actual test itself is 45 minutes with 6 questions with a logic question...

Any Computing applicants out there who's in a similar situation?

I'm an IB student too and I took HL Math (did a math EE too heh). My school didn't release our predicted grades so there's that haha. I applied for Computer science as well and received an e-mail inviting me to take the 1-hour test (not quite sure why the timing is different) on 10th January.

Do all international students get the invite? Also, do let me know if you find out what the test is about.. it's rather vague. From what I've gathered, in 2013, the admissions test allowed for students to state that the question was not covered in their course at school (e.g. if they didnt do IB stats and an IB stats question comes out, they just say they didn't cover it in school) but I'm not sure whether this is the case with the current test...

If it is the case, however, would revising IB math be sufficient? Do you reckon we need to study all the option topics instead of just the one we did in school? Also, would we need to study A-level math?
I had to do a Skype interview AND now I have to take this 90 minute exam, which I don't know how to prepare for... Help?
Reply 9
Original post by IBDPkid
I'm an IB student too and I took HL Math (did a math EE too heh). My school didn't release our predicted grades so there's that haha. I applied for Computer science as well and received an e-mail inviting me to take the 1-hour test (not quite sure why the timing is different) on 10th January.

Do all international students get the invite? Also, do let me know if you find out what the test is about.. it's rather vague. From what I've gathered, in 2013, the admissions test allowed for students to state that the question was not covered in their course at school (e.g. if they didnt do IB stats and an IB stats question comes out, they just say they didn't cover it in school) but I'm not sure whether this is the case with the current test...

If it is the case, however, would revising IB math be sufficient? Do you reckon we need to study all the option topics instead of just the one we did in school? Also, would we need to study A-level math?

Hi, I am so sorry for the late reply..!
I was reading through the forums and learned that the test itself is actually a bit easier than IB core. I would recommend revising the whole core though as the test basically tests your ability to think through problems by tying most mathematical concepts we cover in IB together.

I read something about the test being on C1 and C2 of A-Levels, so it would be a good idea to look at their syllabus if they have one...?

Have a great day!
Does anyone know what type of questions I should be expecting? I'm doing CIE Further Mathematics, should that suffice? I'm asking this because papers such as STEP claim that no extra knowledge of Maths, apart from what is covered in the syllabus, is required, but turn out to be one of the hardest papers I've seen. My test is on the 6th btw
Reply 11
Original post by spark99
Hi, I am so sorry for the late reply..!
I was reading through the forums and learned that the test itself is actually a bit easier than IB core. I would recommend revising the whole core though as the test basically tests your ability to think through problems by tying most mathematical concepts we cover in IB together.

I read something about the test being on C1 and C2 of A-Levels, so it would be a good idea to look at their syllabus if they have one...?

Have a great day!

Hi! Thank you so much :smile: I just got my IB results today and I'm pleased with them haha. so if I just study IB HL Math Core, it should cover all the bases? cause I believe core leaves out things like matrices, etc.

I'll be sure to check out the A-level syllabus and post here if I find out anything :smile:
Reply 12
I replied to them saying that I was able to take this exam (as they had asked to) on 25th Dec but I haven't heard anything back from them after that (I mean, not a confirmation or something). Did you all get an email when you replied saying that you could take the test? Should I contact the admissions office?
Reply 13
Original post by blehxxx
I replied to them saying that I was able to take this exam (as they had asked to) on 25th Dec but I haven't heard anything back from them after that (I mean, not a confirmation or something). Did you all get an email when you replied saying that you could take the test? Should I contact the admissions office?

i replied saying the same and didn't get a response back either. I think we should just wait
Reply 14
Original post by IBDPkid
i replied saying the same and didn't get a response back either. I think we should just wait

Thanks!
Original post by blehxxx

I didn't get a response either.
Reply 16
Original post by kishen111
I didn't get a response either.

Thanks! All the best for tomorrow!:smile:
Do let us know how it went :smile:
Hey, anyone who has taken the test! How was it?
Reply 18
Anyone else have their test tomorrow? :/
Reply 19
Original post by IBDPkid
Anyone else have their test tomorrow? :/

Me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending