Turn on thread page Beta

Transferring from one medical course to another? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi, i have found threads on here similar to mine, but none that quite answer my question, so i hope you guys dont mind if i just ask it straight out:

i am due to start medicine this september after a gap year, at a university which is about 600 miles away from my home. it is not the university itself so much that i have changed my mind about, but i didn't really think about the consequences of moving so far away, and since i am on a very tight budget/ completely skint i will not have the opportunity to go back home anytime other than some holidays. over my gap year there have been some developments in my household which are making me feel really gutted that i am going so far away, and a bit stupid since there are so many unis i could have chosen nearer to me. also i have changed my mind on some aspects of how the course is taught and have decided that i would prefer a more traditional style.
    so, i was wondering if anyone knew whether it is likely that i will be able to transfer to another uni for the same course after the first year, and even whether it is possible to start in the second year. i know of course about how competitive medicine is but i was counting on the fact that some students may drop out after the first year, and also if i have succesfully completed, or even excelled if i try hard enough? in the first year would it make my position easier? although i would also be willing to start again in the first year. has anybody ever heard of this :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My friend was telling me about how a Dentist student transferred into the 3rd year of Sheffield..he wanted to be closer to home due to having family problems. But you have to talk to your tutor once your at uni, voice your concerns. It's very unlikely that you'l be given a transfer but it's not impossible. Which uni you wanna come out of and transfer to is also an issue if they have spaces!

ReputationRep:
    hi, thanks for the reply
    i have also heard that it is not impossible, but i have never actually heard of a specific example of somebody going through the procedure and what it exactly involves.
    if i had not already taken a gap year i would just take another and reapply but also obviously i might not get in and lose my place at the moment. do you think that if i am able to achieve very high results after the first year that i will have a much better chance, or just slightly better?
    also, i ask when you have to start the process of transferring, or making the request, as i am not sure whether to wait until i know more about my position or just to be honest with the staff at my uni from the start?
    i can see how this is no real big problem, but if there is any way to do this then i would really like to know the specific details so i can make it happen!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2007

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.