Turn on thread page Beta

What was the very first book you bought not borrowed? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So? Ok, I'll start, my first ever book bought was in Waterstones, it was entitled 'The Art Of War' by Sun Tzu, at the measly price of £11.99 to which I also had a £5 gift voucher, so all in all it cost me £6.99. Oh, and I bought this last week, so I bought my first ever book when I was 19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    So? Ok, I'll start, my first ever book bought was in Waterstones, it was entitled 'The Art Of War' by Sun Tzu, at the measly price of £11.99 to which I also had a £5 gift voucher, so all in all it cost me £6.99. Oh, and I bought this last week, so I bought my first ever book when I was 19.
    That was the most interesting post i have ever read

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm cheating a little as my first book ever bought was second hand at a car boot sale, and cost me all of 20p, and it was the secret island by enid blyton when I was seven or eight.

ReputationRep:
    First book I bought was 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens at 10. It was a wordsworth classic and a snip at just 99p

ReputationRep:
    To Kill A Mockingbird for my English Lit. Previous to that I just got my mum to buy me the books I wanted...

ReputationRep:
    The Flour Babies - Anne Fine. I was nine and it only cost me 50p at a school summer fair...also on the same day my mother brought me the complete works of Shakespeare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    The Flour Babies - Anne Fine. I was nine and it only cost me 50p at a school summer fair...also on the same day my mother brought me the complete works of Shakespeare
    awww! My tastes in literature developed too young! I still get an overwhelming urge to buy 'Spot Throws A Party' whenever I see it in a bookshop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    awww! My tastes in literature developed too young! I still get an overwhelming urge to buy 'Spot Throws A Party' whenever I see it in a bookshop
    Well I wouldn't go that far, I was still allowed to read 'The very Hungry Caterpillar' at bedtime

But she did force me to read Chapmans transl of Homer...I'll never forgive her for that

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't go that far, I was still allowed to read 'The very Hungry Caterpillar' at bedtime

But she did force me to read Chapmans transl of Homer...I'll never forgive her for that
    I want 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' I never had it and mum would never get me it!

ReputationRep:
    I want 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' I never had it and mum would never get me it!
    It's the best childrens book ever. I'll lend you one of my three copies

ReputationRep:
    It's the best childrens book ever. I'll lend you one of my three copies
    :eek: You have 3! I want one hehe I'm a very hungry human with a very hungry teddy bear. So we could sit down and read about a very hungry caterpillar What I'd give to be a little kid again and not a boring academic.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: You have 3! I want one hehe I'm a very hungry human with a very hungry teddy bear. So we could sit down and read about a very hungry caterpillar What I'd give to be a little kid again and not a boring academic.
    I got all three as a birthday gift when I was four...I asked for three and got three because I was a spoilt brat

You should buy one, after all it's George Bushs favourite childhood book :rolleyes:

I was still allowed to be a kid but poor you. I can already tell you're regressing back to your missed childhood

ReputationRep:
    I got all three as a birthday gift when I was four...I asked for three and got three because I was a spoilt brat

You should buy one, after all it's George Bushs favourite childhood book :rolleyes:

I was still allowed to be a kid but poor you. I can already tell you're regressing back to your missed childhood
    Yep! Dostoyevsky at 12 is not every child’s dream. But oh well! I read for pleasure now and I'm trusted to make my own choices because my indoctrination was a success. I did still do childish things, just grew up to fast!

It’s probably the reason why I still sleep with my teddy bear. He's called 'Ted' and is an almighty God! He's going to track you down and borrow that book so watch out for him. Also, please don't feed him; he’s already fat and cuddly enough for me

ReputationRep:
    Yep! Dostoyevsky at 12 is not every child’s dream. But oh well! I read for pleasure now and I'm trusted to make my own choices because my indoctrination was a success. I did still do childish things, just grew up to fast!

It’s probably the reason why I still sleep with my teddy bear. He's called 'Ted' and is an almighty God! He's going to track you down and borrow that book so watch out for him. Also, please don't feed him; he’s already fat and cuddly enough for me
    lol, have you tried reading 'Curious Kitty'?

ReputationRep:
    lol, have you tried reading 'Curious Kitty'?
    Nope. Is it good?

ReputationRep:
    ohmigod thats like the best book in the entire world.

ReputationRep:

I didn't discover Fyodor Dostoevsky until I was in year 12!

I'm going to steal Ted

kikzen I agree with you. It's a lovely book

ReputationRep:
    Probably some Famous Five book or something from a charity shop.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't discover Fyodor Dostoevsky until I was in year 12!

I'm going to steal Ted

kikzen I agree with you. It's a lovely book
    You are so not going to steal Ted He's all mine! He's the most intelligent bear you will ever meet. He's been on Newsnight representing the teddy parliamentarians I'm so proud of him hehe

Has he picked up that book yet? He's driving around to try and find you. He's in his little tedmobile

ReputationRep:
    He's the most intelligent bear you will ever meet. He's been on Newsnight representing the teddy parliamentarians I'm so proud of him hehe
    Hence the reason I want to steal Ted. I’ll read him ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’, feed him some chocolate cookies and he’ll never want to return!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.