What is worse a liar or a hypocrit

This poll is closed

What is worse a hypocrit or a Liar?

Hypocrit 33%
Liar 26%
Both as bad 26%
Other: please post.15%
Total votes: 27
All things being equal, and assuming the liar is lying about the same thing as the hypocrit is pretending to be, what do you consider more morally egregious?.

I am by the way well aware I spealt hypocrit wrong, that's part of the whole post that is important before you write a post about how being able to spell makes you king of English. :[ :tongue:

Etymology counts in this thread, even if logic is going begging. :wink:

Equally I am also aware I Spelt spelt wrong, it's intrinsic to my belief though, if not my candour.

Candour:

the quality of being open and honest; frankness.

:wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I'd say the liar is worse. The hypocrite merely fails to live up to his or her professed standard, whereas the liar intentionally misleads people about it. One is deception of oneself whereas the other is intentional deception of others.
Personally find hypocrites worse.
Both are a cause of suffering because of their selfishness. Hypocrites have a more obvious effect of causing witch-hunts. Lying has a more subtle but possibly more deadly social effect which I find hard to identify. Possibly they just increase the likelihood of accidents/mistakes happening.
Hypocrites- a hypocrite lies as well, imo.
Reply 5
They are equally destructive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It partially depends on what you're asking really - do you want our personal opinions, or speculation on which would 'objectively' be the most wrong?

Personally, I'd consider the liar to be the worst. Whilst an argument can be made that a hypocrite is also lying, generally speaking it's to a lesser extent, and you can easily do so unintentionally. Lying is intentional deceit, and can have significantly larger repercussions, if the lie were to be about an important piece of information.
It depends on the manner in which the individual was hypocritical, or the manner in which the individual lied.
Reply 8
Original post by Martian872
All things being equal, and assuming the liar is lying about the same thing as the hypocrit is pretending to be, what do you consider more morally egregious?.

I am by the way well aware I spealt hypocrit wrong, that's part of the whole post that is important before you write a post about how being able to spell makes you king of English. :[ :tongue:

Etymology counts in this thread, even if logic is going begging. :wink:

Equally I am also aware I Spelt spelt wrong, it's intrinsic to my belief though, if not my candour.

Candour:

the quality of being open and honest; frankness.

:wink:

Sounds like the liar and "hypocrit" are same person. Or two people lying about the same thing. Thus, lying.
Reply 9
is a drug addict a hypocrite for saying dont do drugs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by da_nolo

Posted from TSR Mobile

but at least he's *saying* the right thing, what they *do* is their business
both as bad as each other :smile:
Original post by da_nolo

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they are unable to stop due to addiction, then certainly not. It's akin to saying "don't end up like me, don't do drugs etc. etc."
Reply 13
The act of lying may be respectfully justified, such as lying to prevent hurting someone's feelings, whereas hypocrisy can rarely be justified.
A liar is usually a hypocrite too and vice versa.
i hate liars.
Original post by Xez
The act of lying may be respectfully justified, such as lying to prevent hurting someone's feelings, whereas hypocrisy can rarely be justified.

More people seem to be disrespected and hurt more once they find out they had been lied to then told the truth.
everyone's a liar and a hypocrite let's not pretend we're all saints here
we all lie multiple times a day both to others and ourselves
lying to others makes us a liar, lying to ourselves makes us a hypocrite
there's no 'he's a worse liar than me' or 'i hate liars', everyone is guilty of it so no one should cast stones
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lsolace4
everyone's a liar and a hypocrite let's not pretend we're all saints here
we all lie multiple times a day both to others and ourselves
lying to others makes us a liar, lying to ourselves makes us a hypocrite
there's no 'he's a worse liar than me' or 'i hate liars', everyone is guilty of it so no one should cast stones

There are worse liars than others though, in my opinion. For instance, lying about cheating on someone is a lot worse than telling someone an outfit looks nice when it doesn't.

It's debatable whether people lie multiple times a day, but even assuming they do, for most people those will be little white lies, not major ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending