glucose content in blood, tissue fluid and lymph

Watch
rdodd13251
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Would it be right to say that blood has a higher glucose content than tissue fluid because when food is digested the glucose diffuses into the blood? Glucose molecules are forced out of capillaries, into tissue fluid under hydrostatic pressure. Does this mean there will be less glucose in tissue fluid because the cells of the body will be using it for respirataion ect? also would there be any glucose present in lymph because wouldn't it all just diffuse back into the blood at venous ends of capillaries?
Hajra Momoniat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What you are saying is a little wrong.

The first bit is right when you say the blood has a higher glucose content than the tissue fluid. But when the plasma is forced out of the capillaries at high hydrostatic pressure the tissue fluid then becomes more higher in glucose content than the blood. You are also right in saying the glucose is taking up the glucose for respiration. When all the glucose has been taken up obviously the tisuue fluid with the waste e.g. CO^2 returns back into the cappilaries to become plasma by osmosis and the remaining tissue fluid becomes lymph in the lymphatic vessels so in both cases there is no glucose content

Hopefully this will help
rdodd13251
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ah thank you very much it does definitely help and makes sense. Does that mean it depends on which side of the capillary you are looking at; venous or arterial? Just wanted to check before I answered a question on an assignment i'm doing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
56.03%
I don't have everything I need (255)
43.97%

Watched Threads