Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether I want to stay in Durham just during term time, or whether the extended let (going into the Christmas holidays) is worth it. How many people stay in college during this extended let? (I'm going to St Aidan's) It also depends on how well I get on with everyone and if any of my friends will be staying on as well so I can't really make that decision now, which leads me on to my second question: Can I pay for a normal let and then just give the college the £129 at some point during the 1st term to make it into an extended let?

Now for a completely unrelated question: Given that I'm not an international student and am driving by car to Durham, is there any reason to spend £30 on a linen pack (pillows, duvets etc.) over bringing my own stuff?

Thanks in advance for answers!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what the practise is at Aidans, but at Collingwood we have to clear our rooms out over holidays for conference guests, but if you apply for the extended let you don't have to clear your room out, so if you can afford it, I'd say yes. You should also bear in mind that kitchens aren't great and they won't be providing you with food during the holidays. I think the extended let is useful purely for not having to move in and out three times, but as I said, check this with someone from Aidans, maybe it's not the same...

I think you have to pay for extended Christmas let now...ring the college Finance office and check with them.

Duvet wise- if you're having an extended let I'd say bring your own linen- but if not, don't- just to avoid the hassle of having to move it back and forth.
    I assume you can leave your college pack in your room...I don't know.
    I used college linen and I've survived!

ReputationRep:
    At Aidan's it all depends on where you're allocated to be staying. If it's in the ghetto or the A/B/C straight, then I think you're given the extended let for free. If you're in the curves, then you get the choice.

Having staid in the curves last year, I can tell you EVERYONE leaves during holidays, and if you're staying in the curves you're forced to move out, as the rooms are used for the conference facilites.

I am not sure if you can/cannot keep your room if you get extended let, I think there's quite a high chance of you being moved to the straights.

ReputationRep:
    In Trevs NO-ONE stays over Christmas. If you are rich then it is worth it just so you don't have to move your stuff.

ReputationRep:
    No one stays in Collingwood either, except some international students who can't go home, but even they usually stay with friends.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.