The Student Room Group

Quitting McDonald's or not?

Hey, I've been working at McDonald's for around 3 weeks not and I don't like the amount of work I'm doing especially for the pay I'm receiving which is £5 as I'm 16, also there making me do unhealthy hours as I'm still in sixthform, also there making me work an extreme number of hours as I'm on holiday form sixth form, what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Leave and go Tesco instead innit.
Original post by Davidmathew
Hey, I've been working at McDonald's for around 3 weeks not and I don't like the amount of work I'm doing especially for the pay I'm receiving which is £5 as I'm 16, also there making me do unhealthy hours as I'm still in sixthform, also there making me work an extreme number of hours as I'm on holiday form sixth form, what should I do?

3 weeks isn't enough for a good reference. Stick it out, jobs will never be easy.
Reply 3
Do you want money or not? Most people would say 'no' as a student because they rely on their Parents, but it depends how desparate you are.

Anyway, by law I believe during school term time you cannot work between school hours, especially if your parents are claiming child benefits to help pay for your expenses (it is fraud). So all those hours get cut out. It is recommended as a student your u don't work more than 12 hours a week.

Maybe ask your boss for some 12 hour weekly rota around the time your outside school? When I was in your sitituation, I just asked to do one/two shifts a week which they found fine. Then again, I worked for a much smaller firm which only gets busy dependent on the season.
Reply 4

Apply elsewhere also your main focus should be on your work and exams so my advice if you are unhappy hand in your notice and if you want to work look for a Saturday or weekend job primark is the best place for students cause they offer decent weekend shift and you can choose 8 hour or 4 hour shifts.
Reply 5
Original post by Anon19941994
3 weeks isn't enough for a good reference. Stick it out, jobs will never be easy.

But I'm only 16 and looking for a part time job, I also have experience elsewhere
Reply 6
Original post by Studento
Do you want money or not? Most people would say 'no' as a student because they rely on their Parents, but it depends how desparate you are.

Anyway, by law I believe during school term time you cannot work between school hours, especially if your parents are claiming child benefits to help pay for your expenses (it is fraud). So all those hours get cut out. It is recommended as a student your u don't work more than 12 hours a week.

Maybe ask your boss for some 12 hour weekly rota around the time your outside school? When I was in your sitituation, I just asked to do one/two shifts a week which they found fine. Then again, I worked for a much smaller firm which only gets busy dependent on the season.

Original post by Studento

No, I'm not working for the money ATm, I'm more interested in experience and yes I've asked for my hours to be shortened but they did not listen this is why I'm thinking of leaving to get a new job which suits me better
Reply 7
Original post by chikane
Apply elsewhere also your main focus should be on your work and exams so my advice if you are unhappy hand in your notice and if you want to work look for a Saturday or weekend job primark is the best place for students cause they offer decent weekend shift and you can choose 8 hour or 4 hour shifts.

Thankyou, this is exactly what I was thinking, thanks

You can ask to change your availability and cut your hours. Thats what your availability is there for. Speak to the manager who does the schedule.
With regards to the amount of work you have to do- thats all part of the job, especially when its busy.
But I'm only 16 and looking for a part time job, I also have experience elsewhere

Ahhh very young! Stick it out, the more references you have the better.
Reply 10
Original post by Emma:-)
You can ask to change your availability and cut your hours. Thats what your availability is there for. Speak to the manager who does the schedule.
With regards to the amount of work you have to do- thats all part of the job, especially when its busy.

I've already had a word and they said they cannot change the schedule or the hours as that's y they appointed me
I've already had a word and they said they cannot change the schedule or the hours as that's y they appointed me

They wont be able to change the schedule that is already up, no- you have already been scheduled those hours- you will have to do them (unless you find someone to cover any of your hours). But if you change your availability, (from the new year for example) then when they do the schedule from then onwards, they will only schedule for days/hours you have asked for.
Original post by Davalla
Leave and go Tesco instead innit.

😂😂 - that's facts - Tesco pays waaay better than macdonalds and even Jd sports.
What hours are you contracted to do and what hours are you working? You are going to have to work hard whereever you are, that's life. If the hours don't work for you then look for something else but don't quit until you find something.
Hey David : )

I'm also currently working at McDonald's and have been for over 2 years, and I am also in Sixth Form so I can relate to your position.

I started at 16 as well and I remember working a crazy amount of hours and the stress/pressure that you can find yourself in, trying to balance work and school so I'm gonna try to reassure you that it doesn't have to the way you say it is.

As a student and working in McDonald's, then I believe you're on a zero-hour (fully?) flexible contract.
Firstly, they can't make you work during school hours as this is illegal so you shouldn't have to worry about that.
If they've given you shifts within your availability, then you're expected to do those but other than that then you're not obligated or bound to do extra if you don't want to.

The first thing I would do is to make sure you change your availability ASAP. They usually require you to give 2 weeks notice because of they way they make their schedules. Change both the 'No. of Shifts' and 'Max. Hours'. Talking to your managers isn't an official way of changing your availability as it's not going to be on record, so I'd make sure you do this yourself on MySchedule.

Whilst I agree the pay doesn't necessarily compete with other companies, McDonald's is known for being one of the most flexible options and over half of their work force are students, so this is something they deal with regularly and they also offer many opportunities for progression. If they reject your request, they need a reason for it, they're not allowed to do it just for the sake of it. With the beginning of the year coming up, then this is their quietest times, so they can afford to let people reduce their availability.

If you need any help with changing availability or anything else, feel free to message me.
Original post by JaredzzC
Hey David : )

I'm also currently working at McDonald's and have been for over 2 years, and I am also in Sixth Form so I can relate to your position.

I started at 16 as well and I remember working a crazy amount of hours and the stress/pressure that you can find yourself in, trying to balance work and school so I'm gonna try to reassure you that it doesn't have to the way you say it is.

As a student and working in McDonald's, then I believe you're on a zero-hour (fully?) flexible contract.
Firstly, they can't make you work during school hours as this is illegal so you shouldn't have to worry about that.
If they've given you shifts within your availability, then you're expected to do those but other than that then you're not obligated or bound to do extra if you don't want to.

The first thing I would do is to make sure you change your availability ASAP. They usually require you to give 2 weeks notice because of they way they make their schedules. Change both the 'No. of Shifts' and 'Max. Hours'. Talking to your managers isn't an official way of changing your availability as it's not going to be on record, so I'd make sure you do this yourself on MySchedule.

Whilst I agree the pay doesn't necessarily compete with other companies, McDonald's is known for being one of the most flexible options and over half of their work force are students, so this is something they deal with regularly and they also offer many opportunities for progression. If they reject your request, they need a reason for it, they're not allowed to do it just for the sake of it. With the beginning of the year coming up, then this is their quietest times, so they can afford to let people reduce their availability.

If you need any help with changing availability or anything else, feel free to message me.

Do you have a source for this??
This isnt true. Laws on when/how many hours you can work are mainly for under 16's. The only rule really for 16/17 year olds is not working after midnight, and there may be a cap on how many hours you can do (cant remember how many it is, but it would mainly affect you if you were working full time).
The not working during school hours is a complete load of rubbish. Yes, under 18's have to be in some form of full time education (6th form/college/apprenticeship etc) but as long as they are, then they are free to work part time whenever they want. I know several people at the mcdonalds i work at who regularly do days in the week (if their college course 3/4 days a week or something).

I would kill for a job at mcdonalds, i don't even have one ;____;
Original post by Emma:-)
Do you have a source for this??
This isnt true. Laws on when/how many hours you can work are mainly for under 16's. The only rule really for 16/17 year olds is not working after midnight, and there may be a cap on how many hours you can do (cant remember how many it is, but it would mainly affect you if you were working full time).
The not working during school hours is a complete load of rubbish. Yes, under 18's have to be in some form of full time education (6th form/college/apprenticeship etc) but as long as they are, then they are free to work part time whenever they want. I know several people at the mcdonalds i work at who regularly do days in the week (if their college course 3/4 days a week or something).

There's more than that one rule you stated. (16/17 year olds)
Can't work after Midnight.
Can't work before 6AM.
Cap on the amount of hours you can work ( 8 per day, 40 per week )
Rest period between each shift (applies to others as well, but is different for younger people)
Breaks etc etc...
of course there are exceptions though

It's an act of truancy to be working willingly during your school hours/lessons so it's breaking the law. Essentially that responsibility and culpability is down to the employee itself, but the restaurant would also get in trouble for this. Sorry, they're not specifically breaking the law. What I said was phrased incorrectly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Set me a free fillet'o'fish meal before you leave plez. fnx.

I would leave, your education comes first. If they don't like it tough, they should respect the fact you have exams. Trouble is retail and other places do not care, this is why I quit my job years ago when I was at Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending