Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This part of topic two has really been annoying me lately because I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to know. Also, just to be clear I have read the spec and it says that "student's should be able to explain how models such as the fluid mosaic model of the cell membranes are interpretations of data used to develop scientific explanations of the structure and properties of cell membranes."

The only part I don't understand is the interpretations of data part, and I was wondering if anyone on here could clear it up a bit, and give me a general idea of what it is I'm supposed to know? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Your only meant to know the lipid bilayer and the transport proteins.

Sorry for the late reply

ReputationRep:
    So the structure and functions of the phospholipid bilayer, along with how things are transported in them? That's all?

ReputationRep:
    And it's fine

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody?

ReputationRep:
    ???

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. That's it

ReputationRep:
    alright. thank you

ReputationRep:
    Np

ReputationRep:
    ravencycled Hajra Momoniat

Hiya there! I know it's super late~ But the exam's around the corner and I stumbled upon this thread. What they mean by data interpretations is that what's the effect of temperature on membranes (this then leads to the beetroot practical). Here are the relationships, hope it helps! Oh and by any chance, would you be able to explain channel and carrier proteins?

Temperature and its effect on the phospholipid bilayer:

1.Temperature below 0 C

Phospholipids don’t have much energy, they don’t move much, are rigid. They’re packed closely together. The channel and carrier proteins deform, increasing permeability. Ice crystals may form and pierce through the membrane making it highly permeable when it thaws.

2.Temperatures between 0 and 45 C

The phospholipids can move around and aren’t as tightly packed – the membrane is partially permeable. As the temperature increases, the phospholipids move more as they have more energy, tis also increases permeability.

3.Temperatures above 45 C

Bilayer starts to melt (break down) and membrane become more permeable. Water inside the cell expands, putting pressure on membranes. Channel and carrier proteins deform and can’t control what enters or leaves – increasing permeability.

One way of resisting heat is to increase cholesterol levels in the membranes. (that’s why some cholesterol is good for you but too much isn’t)

You can search up a graph regarding the effects, basically, permeability is super high when temp is below 0 C, and lowest at temperatures like 25 C to 30-ish C. Then it gradually, but slowly increases as temp increases.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 22, 2017

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.