Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Will i need one for my room or not do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Probs a printer...i'd rely on my own printer than a Uni's.
    At the rate I end up handing in essays (e.g. a few minutes before the deadline), then the last thing i want would be the Uni network to **** over!

You could get one of those all in one printers I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    i got a printer for my first year and it was really helpful - made sure i had lecture notes ready for the next day... could print off coursework notes whenever i wanted... etc etc.

i'm investing in a scanner this year as i'm pretty certain i'm going to do lots of reading and i figure it'll be much simpler to scan relevant chapters and read them in my own time... thats my plan anyhow.
    I'm getting a scanner which scans documents to pdf file - much easier to read etc.

ReputationRep:
    I do a load of colour-printed coarsework for engineering, so printing on the unis colour printers is a bit pricey, and im a lazy bugger, and i got the printer free of my LEA for being dis-speical and also use it for other stuff to help with my course, and printi the odd photos for my wall.
    - Its also does duplex printing and CD printing, as well has having two paper trays. Which is not back for an £80 inkjet off ebay.

Keep meaning to get a scanner as well, again, probebrly off ebay, £20 LiDE one or somthing.

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    I have a Canon MP600. Excellent all-in-one printer. Does CD printing too.
    Compatible inks are quite cheap as well.

Having your own printer at uni is useful of course, but the uni printers shouldn't be completely hopeless for you to use...overall, it might be cheaper to use them/a mates.

Just decide whether you really want to pay for the convenience.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, mines a canon ip4000, again on replica ink. (jettec, from svp.com)

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    a lot of people have recommended getting B&W laser printers for uni in other threads of this type - i'll see if i can find one or 2 of the threads for you

EDIT: here you go, lots of people recommending Epson (because they do cheap ink cartridges) or B&W lasers (because page-for-page they're cheaper than inkjets)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?p=9520399

EDIT2: Also, if you can get to a Cartridge World, then just get your printer cartridges refilled, which is really cheap compared to buying new and also means you don't lose quality (like you can do if you buy crap replica cartridges...)

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting an Epson, you might want to check if it can support compatible inks now. Also, I'm convinced now that Epson printers don't last as long as others.

As for laser printers. Yes, you can get a cheap B&W laser, but it will end up being a disposable printer, i.e. pay £80 for it, then throw it away once the toner is used up (because it will cost twice as much as the printer!).

Also, your University is going to provide printing services, so unless you're keen on printing on the deadline date, you can use the printers there and save yourself £50 by the end of the year.

Personally, I would go with a multi-functional inkjet printer that you can use at home too. Ink can be cheap to get and it's generally more useful, being able to scan/copy as well.

Whatever you decide. Just remember to print off loads of Wanted! posters of your mates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    EDIT2: Also, if you can get to a Cartridge World, then just get your printer cartridges refilled, which is really cheap compared to buying new and also means you don't lose quality (like you can do if you buy crap replica cartridges...)
    How so?
    - And ink tank is an inktank (the actaull case), the thing that makes replica ink sometimes not as good, is the grade of ink they use in them. And you get the exact same from refill places.

Only exception are the odd few printers where a disposable print head is located as part of the inktank. Rather than being part of the printer, or as a third part which can be changed when i fails, but not with every inktank change. (what i have on the ip4000).
    - You can also take it out and blow water though it to clear it, after 3 months of being stuck in a box between terms. Although i dont know why i know that one...

Daniel

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 3, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.