UK extends agreement for Diego Garcia base as displaced native aborigins protest

Watch
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
New Year’s Eve marks the conclusion of a 50-year agreement under which the UK has allowed the US to use the Indian Ocean island of Diego Garcia as a military base.

On New Year’s Day the agreement will be rolled over into a new one lasting a further 20 years. The agreement lay behind the forcible removal of residents from the Chagos Islands, of which Diego Garcia is the main island, triggering a battle for their right to return home that has lasted for half a century.

This month Frankie Bontemps, the chair of the Chagos Islanders Welfare Group, joined with exiles and their descendants to hand in a letter to Downing Street demanding their right to return.

Bontemps said the 50-year anniversary was a painful reminder of what they had lost. The stories you need to read, in one handy email Read more “Christmas should be a time to feel secure and happy in our homes and with our families.

For Chagossians it marks the 50th anniversary of our expulsion from our homes and homeland to make way for a US airbase,” he said. “Since being abandoned by the UK government we have been impoverished and neglected by the policies of successive UK governments.

Forbidden from returning to our homeland, we continue the fight for humanity, justice and the restoration of our human rights. We have been British citizens for 200 years, but are treated as undesirable aliens. Happy Christmas and peace on Earth to all.”

The government has consistently rejected the Chagossians’ pleas that they should be allowed to resettle on the islands. For the Chagossians’ supporters, the extension of the agreement with the US represents yet another betrayal by the UK.

“It is a missed and wasted opportunity,” said David Snoxell, coordinator of the Chagos Islands all-party parliamentary group and a former British high commissioner to Mauritius.

“The end of the 50 years was a deadline to bring the whole thing to an end and enshrine a new UK/US agreement that would confirm the willingness of both parties to allow and facilitate a pilot resettlement, preferably on Diego Garcia.” Campaigners have pledged to continue fighting for the Chagossians’ right of abode to be recognised

But the government seems to have little interest in the Chagossians’ demands now that it has decided Diego Garcia should continue to be used exclusively as a military base. In a statement to parliament last month, the foreign minister Alan Duncan defended the UK’s decision to extend the agreement with the US until December 2036.

“In an increasingly dangerous world, the defence facility is used by us and our allies to combat some of the most difficult problems of the 21st century including terrorism, international criminality, instability and piracy,”

Duncan said. A three-year policy review for the government concluded that the Chagossians should not be allowed to return, citing concerns over the cost and long-term viability of resettlement. Ministers had previously accepted that a return as outlined in a Foreign Office-commissioned report by the consultants KPMG was “practically feasible”.

As a form of compensation, the government has offered the Chagossians a support package of £40m spread across 10 years, to be spent on community projects.

But exiled community figures living in Britain say the money can never be an adequate alternative to the right to live in their homeland.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...eal-rolls-over
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you have not mentioned that the Chagos islands are at the centre of one of the most sensitive maritime protected areas in the world.

"The Chagos Marine Protected Area, located in the central Indian Ocean in the British Indian Ocean Territory of the United Kingdom, was established as one of the world's largest marine protected areas, and one of the largest protected areas of any type (land or sea) on Earth. It was established by the British government on 1 April 2010 as a massive, contiguous, no-take marine reserve, it encompasses 640,000 square kilometres (250,000 sq mi) of ocean waters, including roughly 70 small islands and seven atolls of the Chagos Archipelago.
"

from Wikipedia.
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
you have not mentioned that the Chagos islands are at the centre of one of the most sensitive maritime protected areas in the world.

"The Chagos Marine Protected Area, located in the central Indian Ocean in the British Indian Ocean Territory of the United Kingdom, was established as one of the world's largest marine protected areas, and one of the largest protected areas of any type (land or sea) on Earth. It was established by the British government on 1 April 2010 as a massive, contiguous, no-take marine reserve, it encompasses 640,000 square kilometres (250,000 sq mi) of ocean waters, including roughly 70 small islands and seven atolls of the Chagos Archipelago.
"

from Wikipedia.
good thing you posted it. Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (45)
40.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
18.92%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.41%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
9.01%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.11%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.21%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.81%

Watched Threads