The Student Room Group

Which university do you suggest next to Qmul, Sussex, Goldsmith and Royal Holloway?

I'd study International Relations (with politics or sociology). It should be London based as I'd only go to Brighton.
Original post by Akalamago
I'd study International Relations (with politics or sociology). It should be London based as I'd only go to Brighton.

Why only London based? I'd say your limiting yourself a lot with that (also remember Royal Holloway isn't strictly in London).
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Why only London based? I'd say your limiting yourself a lot with that (also remember Royal Holloway isn't strictly in London).

London would be ideal (relatives and more - I'm not from the UK) and the unis I mentioned are good enough (according to my research :biggrin:). My first choice will be Queen Mary and the second will be Goldsmith (by the way, what do you think, are these good for Politics and IR?) or Sussex, depends on their offer if I'll get one. Royal Holloway is basically just there to write something in, I need one more uni for that reason as well.
London would be ideal (relatives and more - I'm not from the UK) and the unis I mentioned are good enough (according to my research :biggrin:). My first choice will be Queen Mary and the second will be Goldsmith (by the way, what do you think, are these good for Politics and IR?) or Sussex, depends on their offer if I'll get one. Royal Holloway is basically just there to write something in, I need one more uni for that reason as well.

Neither Queen Mary or Goldsmiths are known for Politics/IR, Queen Mary is well known for sciences and Goldsmiths for media, that said I don't know what they are actually like. I think out of all of those Sussex is the most well known. However its important to consider course content, facilities, accomodation e.c.t
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
Neither Queen Mary or Goldsmiths are known for Politics/IR, Queen Mary is well known for sciences and Goldsmiths for media, that said I don't know what they are actually like. I think out of all of those Sussex is the most well known. However its important to consider course content, facilities, accomodation e.c.t

What about Royal Holloway and Reading? Are these OK in Politics or IR? Both of them are ranked well (23, 25) in Politics ranking in the UK. I don't know if it's considered a good place or if it matters much.

Plus, even though Queen Mary seems like a better uni than Goldsmith I like the latter's course content better.
What about Royal Holloway and Reading? Are these OK in Politics or IR? Both of them are ranked well (23, 25) in Politics ranking in the UK. I don't know if it's considered a good place or if it matters much.

Plus, even though Queen Mary seems like a better uni than Goldsmith I like the latter's course content better.

Again don't think either are well known for IR, however that generally isn't a reason to not choose a uni, they are both solid unis overall and the whole picture needs to be looked at. If you like Goldsmiths course the best then generally that would be a good no1 choice for you. At the end of the day league table positions won't make you happy or help you get a job.
Based on rep QMUL>Sussex=RHUL>Goldsmith.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sussex is the best of those. And I'd have a hail mary at SOAS and/or KCL if I were you.

And how about Birkbeck?
Reply 9
I don't like SOAS' because of its oriental emphasis. KCL's entry requirements are too high for me (I'm an EU student not British) and Birkbeck (while I like the school and I'd like to go there) has only evening courses which are not good for me.

Goldsmith is great for acting ,drama and filmography. Kalki from Bollywood and Nimmi Harasgama from Sri Lanka went to Goldsmith.
Reply 11
Original post by cambio wechsel
Sussex is the best of those. And I'd have a hail mary at SOAS and/or KCL if I were you.

And how about Birkbeck?

Oops, I wrote this to you but not in a reply:

I don't like SOAS' because of its oriental emphasis. KCL's entry requirements are too high for me (I'm an EU student not British) and Birkbeck (while I like the school and I'd like to go there) has only evening courses which are not good for me.
If you prefer London based, why never considered City? If you'd go to Sussex and also consider RHUL, why never considered Surrey? Both City and Surrey are ranked higher than Sussex on politics.

Of course, other factors (cost, commute, course contents...) do matter, but I find you specially care about location and brand (it's not unreasonable), that's why I ask. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest