The Student Room Group

Can't decide between Computer Science or Japanese

Resolved! Now applying to Computer Science Through Extra!!

I don't know what to do!!1!! Long post!

For my uni subject, I chose Japanese Studies and Japanese and used up all of my 5 choices on UCAS. I started to get emails from unis that I applied to saying I can't study Japanese/Japanese Studies because my proficiency in Japanese is too high (I'm half Japanese and in my personal statement I may have written that I'm fluent in Japanse...:ashamed:).

Recently I talked to this lady who taught Japanese at unis and said for me studying a Japanese related degree won't be beneficial because I won't learn anything new.

I only received one offer which is for Japanese (conditional offer) and now I'm thinking of doing a completely different degree, Computer Science.

I'm interested in coding and programming even though I have no experience of it other than doing HTML and CSS at school. (I'm teaching myself C++ and HTML5) I need at least B in Math at GCSE to do BS Computer Science but I only have a C in Math.

Part of the reason why I chose Japanse and Japanse Studies is that I get to spend one year abroad in Japan, and study at a Japanese University. I was suggested that I should do Computer Science with one year abroad as it gives me the option to go to Japan and study at a Japanese university.

If I want to do Computer Science I can only take Computer Sciences with a foundation year (4yrs) as I don't have B in Math and a foundation year will give me time to think if CS is what I really want to do and after a year I can continue and choose if I want to do CS w/ Gaming, AI or Digital Media or plain CS.

As I'm past the 14 days I can't substitute any choices on UCAS Track and If I want to add a new subject (Computer Sciences with foundation year) I would need to go through UCAS Extra, meaning I would need to decline all offers made. And the worst part is that I'm not guaranteed an offer to be made or the course to even pop up on UCAS Extra so it's really a gamble :unsure:

Ultimately I would want to work in an IT company in Japan or have a STEM job.

The options available for me are:

Gap year and apply next year

Decline all offers made and have a shot with UCAS Extra, may or may not have the course I want to do and may end up with no offers

Accept offer for BA Japanese and do MS Computer Science (1yr)

Should I do BA Japanese or BS Computer Science foundation year or MS Computer Science? what do you think?

I would appreciate any advice and I just want to hear opinions from other people.

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

maybe retake maths instead of taking a gap year?
I have to agree that if you're already fluent/ almost fluent in a language it does seem a little pointless to study it to degree level - yes, there will be plenty of other modules on history/ literature/ culture/ politics etc. too but you could say the main "employment feature" (not sure if there's a better phrase for that - basically the key thing you learn that will actually be helpful in getting a job) would be the language skills.

Computer Science is a very different degree of course, typically with a VERY high maths content. If maths isn't your strong point you may find it very challenging - despite common misconception, the main content of a computer science degree is maths and theory about computing, not actual coding. The high maths content is also true of many other STEM degrees, e.g. most physical sciences.

Have you considered other degrees in things like international relations, politics, international business, etc.? If you wish to pursue your interest in Japan you could look into not only degrees with a year abroad (btw, usually no guarantee you get the university or even country you originally request, depending on the uni - make sure you check this out) but also consider doing your whole degree in Japan?

If you could tell us your A level subjects we could give more suggestions on what degrees would be suitable :smile:

In terms of taking a gap year or not, I personally would say you could give UCAS Extra a shot and see what you can get, but if you're not 100% happy with the results from UCAS Extra (e.g. if no universities you like are offering the course you want) then don't be afraid to take a gap year and reapply. A gap year could be a great opportunity to travel, earn some money, study a useful subject, perhaps go to Japan, etc.
Also look into joint degrees - where you can often combine learning a language with studying another subject, e.g. computer science. Some computer science degrees may alternatively offer the opportunity to take lots of modules from other subjects, which may also give you the flexibility to effectively minor in Japanese :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rayestar
maybe retake maths instead of taking a gap year?

hi, I was thinking of retaking GCSE math while gap year :smile:
If you're fluent or near enough, the degree will offer little of interest and if anything you might even be bored. If you want an IT job in Japan CS is gonna be essential, and you don't even need the degree to fulfil the language proficiency tests required to work there.

If you need the foundation year I'd recommend it, if you think you're up to it. Japanese on it's own is regrettably limited in its job prospects as well without a second subject to complement it - or at least that was the advice given to me at a Sheffield open day so that's their word.
Reply 6
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I have to agree that if you're already fluent/ almost fluent in a language it does seem a little pointless to study it to degree level - yes, there will be plenty of other modules on history/ literature/ culture/ politics etc. too but you could say the main "employment feature" (not sure if there's a better phrase for that - basically the key thing you learn that will actually be helpful in getting a job) would be the language skills.

Computer Science is a very different degree of course, typically with a VERY high maths content. If maths isn't your strong point you may find it very challenging - despite common misconception, the main content of a computer science degree is maths and theory about computing, not actual coding. The high maths content is also true of many other STEM degrees, e.g. most physical sciences.

Have you considered other degrees in things like international relations, politics, international business, etc.? If you wish to pursue your interest in Japan you could look into not only degrees with a year abroad (btw, usually no guarantee you get the university or even country you originally request, depending on the uni - make sure you check this out) but also consider doing your whole degree in Japan?

If you could tell us your A level subjects we could give more suggestions on what degrees would be suitable :smile:

In terms of taking a gap year or not, I personally would say you could give UCAS Extra a shot and see what you can get, but if you're not 100% happy with the results from UCAS Extra (e.g. if no universities you like are offering the course you want) then don't be afraid to take a gap year and reapply. A gap year could be a great opportunity to travel, earn some money, study a useful subject, perhaps go to Japan, etc.

Hi thanks for the reply, yes I can see that studying Japanese may not benefit me hugely as I already have preexisting knowledge of Japanese and Japan, however, I am genuinely interested in literature and the language and other modules and I want to learn more in depth :redface:

And I also understand that Computer Science focuses on the logic, theory, and math and although I'm not particularly strong in math I do find math interesting and I don't mind the high content of math in CS. That's why I thought doing a foundation year for computer science would be more appropriate as I can explore the course and decide if Computer Science is what I really want to study.

My A level subjects are Japanese, Graphic Design, ICT, and Geography.

I haven't considered for other degrees because I'm not that interested in other courses :frown: and I have looked at applying to Japanese universities directly but it seems too difficult as I would need to take SAT and TOEFL.
Study computer science, and after or before you could take a holiday to Japan? Maybe even get a job their with computer science?
Reply 8
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Also look into joint degrees - where you can often combine learning a language with studying another subject, e.g. computer science. Some computer science degrees may alternatively offer the opportunity to take lots of modules from other subjects, which may also give you the flexibility to effectively minor in Japanese :smile:

For the joint degrees, I found a couple with Japanese Studies and Computer Science. I did not know that computer science degrees offer the opportunity to take other modules so I would need to look into that :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by SkyRees
If you're fluent or near enough, the degree will offer little of interest and if anything you might even be bored. If you want an IT job in Japan CS is gonna be essential, and you don't even need the degree to fulfil the language proficiency tests required to work there.

If you need the foundation year I'd recommend it, if you think you're up to it. Japanese on it's own is regrettably limited in its job prospects as well without a second subject to complement it - or at least that was the advice given to me at a Sheffield open day so that's their word.

Yeah, I think foundation year would suit me as after the foundation degree I will know if I want to do CS and I'm willing to do an extra year.

I've heard from other people that a single Japanese degree is difficult in terms of jobs but even if I would do a combined degree I don't know what else to do :frown:

Maybe doing CS is the best choice?
I would suggest a joint degree with a major in CS and a minor in Japanese or 50/50 if you want to.

You can also study abroad in japan for a year in your uni offers it.
Reply 11
Original post by SuperHuman98
Study computer science, and after or before you could take a holiday to Japan? Maybe even get a job their with computer science?

That sounds like a dream! haha yeah there's always an option to go to Japan during the holidays and get a job there.

Probably Computer Science would be best to get a job in Japan in the field I want to do but the career paths graduates take with Japanese is also broad and they seem to get employment in different sectors so idk.. :ashamed:
Unless you're going to a top5 uni, there is not as much math as people make it out to be. (coming from a RG CompSci)

I would suggest doing the foundation year or even taking the year out to resit some exams, and whilst you're doing that do some projects and learn other languages as those projects/languages are what make you extremely employable
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Kravence
I would suggest a joint degree with a major in CS and a minor in Japanese or 50/50 if you want to.

You can also study abroad in japan for a year in your uni offers it.

A joint degree might be the solution but I really want to go to study in Japan for one year and I don't think many joint degrees offer that?

I found one uni that offers year abroad in japan for Computer Science but I think you mean if the uni offers year abroad as exchange right
Reply 14
CompSci. You'll walk into a well paid job straight out of uni (especially as a woman - like golddust in this field). Pretty sure you can get a spot, especially as a girl. Good luck.
Reply 15
Original post by kingLAWZA
Unless you're going to a top5 uni, there is not as much math as people make it out to be. (coming from a RG CompSci)

I would suggest doing the foundation year or even taking the year out to resit some exams, and whilst you're doing that do some projects and learn other languages as those projects/languages are what make you extremely employable

That's a relief! :cute: Yeah, I like the sound of that. If I were to do Computer Science I think I would start off from doing a foundation year anyway, and I'll definitely keep doing some projects even if I decide to do BA Japanese :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by mhsc
CompSci. You'll walk into a well paid job straight out of uni (especially as a woman - like golddust in this field). Pretty sure you can get a spot, especially as a girl. Good luck.

Thank you!! That's reassuring :cute: Yes hopefully I'll get into employment straight after Computer Science :grin:
Original post by (LSP)
A joint degree might be the solution but I really want to go to study in Japan for one year and I don't think many joint degrees offer that?

I found one uni that offers year abroad in japan for Computer Science but I think you mean if the uni offers year abroad as exchange right

Yeah, I've seen a few unis that offer it but they aren't top unis though
Reply 18
Original post by Kravence
Yeah, I've seen a few unis that offer it but they aren't top unis though

I know :cry2: I searched on which uni and I only found Oxford Brooks which offers Computer Science and Japanese Studies :ashamed:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by (LSP)
For the joint degrees, I found a couple with Japanese Studies and Computer Science. I did not know that computer science degrees offer the opportunity to take other modules so I would need to look into that :smile:

Yeah, this could be the best option - combining both subjects :smile: Also, language degrees (including most joint degrees) usually include a year abroad in the relevant country :smile:

Original post by (LSP)
Hi thanks for the reply, yes I can see that studying Japanese may not benefit me hugely as I already have preexisting knowledge of Japanese and Japan, however, I am genuinely interested in literature and the language and other modules and I want to learn more in depth :redface:

And I also understand that Computer Science focuses on the logic, theory, and math and although I'm not particularly strong in math I do find math interesting and I don't mind the high content of math in CS. That's why I thought doing a foundation year for computer science would be more appropriate as I can explore the course and decide if Computer Science is what I really want to study.

My A level subjects are Japanese, Graphic Design, ICT, and Geography.

I haven't considered for other degrees because I'm not that interested in other courses :frown: and I have looked at applying to Japanese universities directly but it seems too difficult as I would need to take SAT and TOEFL.

Would you say you are actually passionate about CompSci though? Or is it just something that sounds vaguely interesting and has good job prospects? If you're going to study something for three+ years you really need to love it - otherwise you may end up dropping out, getting poor grades or ending up in a job you don't really like. As you mentioned though, a foundation year could be a good way of testing it out :smile:

Have you looked into degrees in linguistics or a more general modern foreign language degree (e.g. one where you study a range of languages, literature, culture, history, etc. and could pick up a third or even fourth language)?

Taking the SAT is probably not as difficult as you may think - thousands of UK students must be taking it to apply to unis abroad, particularly in America. Also, have you checked whether some Japanese universities will accept just A levels? Although the SAT may be more internationally recognised many universities will accept alternative qualifications.

I'm pretty sure that if you studied A levels taught in English and/ or have GCSE English at a grade B+ you should be exempt from taking the TOEFL exam right?

Latest