The Student Room Group

Equality of British Women in the fire service

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThePricklyOne
You should hang out with like-minded friends.

Except you don't have any, do you?

Ad hominems do not make for a good argument, or reflect well on the one using them.
Reply 41
Feminists at it again, they want this and that to be 50/50 yet they never demand 50/50 in the armed forces.
Original post by Mancini
I was listening to a clip on LBC a few days ago, apparently this new cheif of the fire service is a woman her name is Dany Cotton and she's apparently the first ever female chief of the London Fire Brigade. Now this woman her dream or her goal she says is to one day have 50% woman to 50% man in the fire service so it's equal.

You know equality, she's looking to boost equality in the fire service, looking to put those feminist quotas within the fire service so women can feel equal. Or society feels more equal I am not sure, you take a pick.

Now what she was really reluctant to answer when the question was put forward by the male radio presenter on LBC 97.3 was just what percentage of women there are in the London fire service, she was really hesitant to answer but finally she uttered the words ' five percent' she said 'five percent'. You could feel almost the fear in her voice not sure why she should feel fearful or shamed, reality is reality and we have to face facts. This lady had no problem naming the percentage of men, when the male percentage escaped her lips it was almost like an attack on the male members, feminism for you.

Now I am thinking 'WTF five percent' how is this woman going to put 50% women in the fire service going forward.

Now I don't believe I am a sexist but even working in retail I know women are not so strong when it comes to the manual jobs, so unless these people in charge of our services plan to put lives at risk for the sake of feminism/equality whatever you wish to call it , I really hope they think again. There should be no quotas in such a potentially dangerous job, lives are at risk.

The only way I see this being fully implemented is if they put lives at risk or they just for equality sake put roles within the fire service which don't really need to be there just to create faux equality. This type of politics is dangerous for all society.

Article related to the issue I found online

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/first-woman-takes-over-at-london-fire-brigade-as-chief-retires-after-almost-a-decade-a3425826.html

The question is, how many woman apply to the fire service?

Do you have any stats for that?

Though, even if more than 50% of applicants were female, it does not justify a 50/50 split - as the reason for their rejection is most likely to be based on their inability to meet a certain criteria.

Anyway I suspect that it has more to do with the aspirations of females, rather than any discriminatory recruitment policies from the fire service.

However, I do not think it is a bad thing for society, if female in general feel that the fire service is not for them.
Reply 43
Original post by slade p
Feminists at it again, they want this and that to be 50/50 yet they never demand 50/50 in the armed forces.

The grime feminist anthem by Wiley lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9styOa5JDpY
Reply 44
Original post by AfricanPrinceXI
The question is, how many woman apply to the fire service?

Do you have any stats for that?

Though, even if more than 50% of applicants were female, it does not justify a 50/50 split - as the reason for their rejection is most likely to be based on their inability to meet a certain criteria.

Anyway I suspect that it has more to do with the aspirations of females, rather than any discriminatory recruitment policies from the fire service.

However, I do not think it is a bad thing for society, if female in general feel that the fire service is not for them.

I don't have stats just reporting on a radio conversation (news piece) feel free to look for it yourself though. That 5% was from the female fire chiefs mouth though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending