The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
St andrews is so far from home! i suppose i haven't really got used to the idea of going to university yet, and st andrews isn't much farther from london compared to the distince between london and edingburgh. i've only been to scotland once on a day trip to edingburgh for a festival. I will probably get used to the idea of living in uite a different place when it comes time to go to university. Has everyone in yr 13 on this forum happy about going to a place a long way away?
Reply 41
well im hopefully going to be going to london which is 2-3 hours away by train for meee! and i really cant waitt too gooo! :smile: so excited haha
just gota get the grades now :frown:
Reply 42
Lunty
well im hopefully going to be going to london which is 2-3 hours away by train for meee! and i really cant waitt too gooo! :smile: so excited haha
just gota get the grades now :frown:

So what university are you going to? are you going to study specifically biochemistry?
Reply 43
well my firm is imperial college, and my insurance is kings college, Biochemistry at the latter and Biochemistry with a year in industry at imperial
Reply 44
Lunty
well my firm is imperial college, and my insurance is kings college, Biochemistry at the latter and Biochemistry with a year in industry at imperial

good for you, hope you get in.:smile: do you know what kind of thing you want to do afterwards?
Reply 45
josie!!!
good for you, hope you get in.:smile: do you know what kind of thing you want to do afterwards?

I'm thinking of either going on afterwards to do a masters of phd depending how i feel after my degree ie. whether im fed up with studying! if so ill look to go into industry! yourself?
Reply 46
Firm: Bristol
Insurance: Imperial College London.
I just don't have that much confidence in imperial college because it's traditionally good at engineering...
RebQ
Firm: Bristol
Insurance: Imperial College London.
I just don't have that much confidence in imperial college because it's traditionally good at engineering...

Really? Imperial has a really good rating for biosciences. It's ranked second or third in the UK, and I love the name "Imperial" way too much hehe. :redface:
Reply 48
i applied to kcl but it was my back up to medicine and had to confirm it as my firm because i got rejected by all 4 unis so kcl gave me a conditional offer.

by the way does ny1 know wat r the chances of me geting into biochemistry if i achieve BBBa at kcl even though if they gave me an offer to get ABB. i ask this because in the last 2 years kcl and a lot of the other unis always have biochemistry up for clearing.
Reply 49
josie!!!
St andrews is so far from home! i suppose i haven't really got used to the idea of going to university yet, and st andrews isn't much farther from london compared to the distince between london and edingburgh. i've only been to scotland once on a day trip to edingburgh for a festival. I will probably get used to the idea of living in uite a different place when it comes time to go to university. Has everyone in yr 13 on this forum happy about going to a place a long way away?

we think it's funny that you think that London-Edinburgh or St Andrew's is far away :-) You can easily get home in a day via car/train/plane.....
St Andrew's has ~ 25% international students, for me it take ~ 24hrs to get home and a 6 hr time difference so I only get home at Christmas and in the summer - yet I don't really feel that I'm far away from home. SKYPE, email, phone etc keeps you in touch with everyone back home and bonus, all my pals love the fact that I'm in Scotland and have all come to visit at one time or another - as have my parents... The UK is such a tiny country, I wouldn't let the distance btw England and Scotland put you off! It's nothing at all.
I was just wondering, can you do biochemistry without biology? I know it's a bit stupid, but the course sounds really good. It says biology is recommended, not required though.
I'm in my AS year now doing chemistry but not biology, so do you think I need to take on biology at least for an AS level?
Lloydsymphonia
I was just wondering, can you do biochemistry without biology? I know it's a bit stupid, but the course sounds really good. It says biology is recommended, not required though.
I'm in my AS year now doing chemistry but not biology, so do you think I need to take on biology at least for an AS level?

I would think Chemistry knowledge is vital. Biology would help but i dont think you would struggle to much without it
Reply 52
Lloydsymphonia

whats your 3rd and 4th subject?
well I do further maths, computing and music(dropping) as well, and just wondering wether I really would need to take on biology AS
Reply 54
as long as you do maths with chemistry you should be fine! which you are :smile:
Reply 55
You might want to take up AS biology....it definately would help, and you'd learn some stuff before you go off to university, otherwise you'll have to just learn it there. But it's up to you i guess.
Hey there! am just about finishing my first year in Biochemistry in York so if anyone has any questions....am an international student too so might be of some help there and will be graduating with the incoming Biochemists at York coz am doing the sandwich degree course...
Reply 57
i applied to kcl but it was my back up to medicine and had to confirm it as my firm because i got rejected by all 4 unis so kcl gave me a conditional offer.

by the way does ny1 know wat r the chances of me geting into biochemistry if i achieve BBBa at kcl even though if they gave me an offer to get ABB. i ask this because in the last 2 years kcl and a lot of the other unis always have biochemistry up for clearing.
veezy

if biochem's frequently in clearing at KCL then I guess you've got a very good chance of getting in even if you don't meet the grades.
Reply 59
ps7
do you think if i werent to meet UCL's biochem grade of ABB with the A in bio-that they would stil let me in?

Ucl only offered you ABB? :O

Latest

Trending

Trending