Turn on thread page Beta

Uni Looms! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey people,
    I recently got my A Level resuts back and got AAA in Maths, Physics and Computer Science and and A in AS Geog. {Before anyone replies, I am aware that Geog and Comp Sci are the easiest courses in the world, bar none}
    Anywho I accepted my place at Imperial University of Science and Technology and Medicine (London) to study Comp Sci (MEng). I was wondering if anyone had any tips for surviving the first few months?
    ie -How not look stupid
    -What to wear
    -How to save money living in Kensigton etc...
    Plus should i take my desktop computer or my laptop?
    Do I take a pad and pen to lectures?
    So many questions......
    John

(Original post by Max Plank)
    Hey people,
    I recently got my A Level resuts back and got AAA in Maths, Physics and Computer Science and and A in AS Geog. {Before anyone replies, I am aware that Geog and Comp Sci are the easiest courses in the world, bar none}
    Anywho I accepted my place at Imperial University of Science and Technology and Medicine (London) to study Comp Sci (MEng). I was wondering if anyone had any tips for surviving the first few months?
    ie -How not look stupid
    -What to wear
    So many questions......
    John
    You will be on the same course and at the uni same uni as richard. Perhaps pm him?

ReputationRep:
    Casual clothes
    Don't spend much
    Laptop
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I'll send richard a message!
    Whilst "not spending much" seems a perfectly logical way to save money i was really looking for some more practical ways to save ie Student Railcards etc...
    I was thinking laptop but the its only a PIII with about a 1Ghz processor, but if i want to play games the "graphics card" is way to pants and an upgrade its out of my budget.
    So just a pad and pencil for lectures?

John

ReputationRep:
    I mean this in a helpful way, so please don't take this wrongly, but suggesting that an ALevel and an AS is the easiest thing in the world, is not a good idea, as other people probably worked well hard to get their results in that subject, and might not have got such good grades. Just a suggestion, as it could make you unpopular and appear arrogant. Anyway good luck, and I'm sure ya'll be fine

Phil

Hey people,

John

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking laptop but the its only a PIII with about a 1Ghz processor, but if i want to play games the "graphics card" is way to pants and an upgrade its out of my budget.
    Heh, you're thinking about gaming on a laptop? I'd think it wouldn't really be the same as on a desktop, especially cos of the pointing device (it's not really a mouse..).

(Original post by Nylex)
    Heh, you're thinking about gaming on a laptop? I'd think it wouldn't really be the same as on a desktop, especially cos of the pointing device (it's not really a mouse..).

Can you imagine trying to play a FPS using the touchpad?? That would be awful!!! Although I don't think I can get much worse at Counter Strike so I suppose its worth a go.....

ReputationRep:
    Its ok people i have an IR usb mouse. My laptop has a nipple not a pad! Its the graphics controller that is too poo and the LCD screen does not help! You cant really play half-life, TFC and Counter Strike.

I'll be the first to admit i'm not the sharpest knife in the draw but Comp Sci and Geog are the easist exams i have ever done!

From the geography exam:
    Why might overhead power cables be dangerous to fishermen?
    Explain the effects of speed humps in a studied location?
    Why might the population (of highest density) of Island X be located away from the motorway?

From the computer science exam:
    Why might a solely computer controlled train be dangerous?
    List four features of a word-processor.
    What is the best medium to save captured video to:
    a)Magnetic Disk (Hard Drive)
    b)CD-ROM
    c)Floppy Disk
    Possibly a) as b) is read only and c) doesnt have a large enough capacity

I cant see how those questions make it onto an "advanced level" exam. There no need for any "ability" just a tiny bit of thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Can you imagine trying to play a FPS using the touchpad?? That would be awful!!! Although I don't think I can get much worse at Counter Strike so I suppose its worth a go.....
    What is all this counterstrike nonsense!?

Its like the biggest game ever online and I've never even played it once. All I remember reading is that it was a Half-life mod, but you had to buy it.

Ad

ReputationRep:
    Hey people,
    ie -How not look stupid
    -What to wear
    So many questions......
    John
    Hi!

As d has mentioned, I'm also going to ICL this year (I'm actually doing MSci Maths with Comp. Sci.), but near enough to your course!

I wouldn't worry about what you look like or what to wear, just wear what you feel comfortable in.

I'd bring a laptop, as you can take it back and forth from home (or visiting your girlfriend) easily, whereas a desktop would probably require a car and lots of effort to move. Look at http://www.evesham.co.uk if you're looking for a new laptop, they offer 5% student discount (I know of no other computer suppliers who offer a discount to students), and good prices. Also, their aftersales support is supposed to be top-notch.

What you take to lectures I'm sure will be told to everyone before our first lecture, I really wouldn't worry about things like that. Do you have your Freshers' Handbook yet?

Speak to you soon!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got the handbook but it was really useless, only said the start of term date and other crap about wearing a white coat whilst visiting patients. I've put down to do the BEng but i think they said you could change to the 4 year course after the first year??

John

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got the handbook but it was really useless, only said the start of term date and other crap about wearing a white coat whilst visiting patients. I've put down to do the BEng but i think they said you could change to the 4 year course after the first year??

John
    Yeah, I doubt we'll be visiting any patients.

I'm sure ICL won't mind you changing, but you will have to convince your LEA to extend your student loan ... I don't know how difficult this is.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips for surviving the first few months?
    ie -How not look stupid
    -What to wear
    John
    Hi.

I'm a medic at Imperial so I can't answer your questions very specifically but I've been there for a year, plus my roomate did computing .

It is quite touch in the first few weeks starting at any uni; you don't know anyone, live with people you don't know, have to make all your own decisions. Plus Imperial does have a reputation of being hard working, although it does pay off because, particularly the engineering subjects which computing is, it's well worth it.

Lectures tend to occupy a full day, and from what I gather you have lab work too. I think you get a computing tutor and maths tutor to help you through. A lot of work is computer based so having a computer is useful - particularly for assignments/coursework which go well into the night! You can definately take your desktop with you if thats what you want, laptops are also good for taking to the library/labs to connect to the network.

A lot of the work is coursework based which may count towards your final mark - but I'm not too sure. You have exams earlier than most - in May I think, and after you finish you have roughly a few weeks to relax and also complete a project.

At lectures (if you turn up !) you wear what you want. I normally take some paper and a pen. You get handouts etc... and all powerpoints and handouts are also available online.

Kensington isn't too expensive if you know where to go. Plus there ain't too much there neither - most either go to the union or to bar/pubs/clubs in central London. Its a nice place to live in - lots of museums, Hyde Park etc...

At Imperial a lot are very clever - I felt a little intimitaded at first but you get used to it - its a step-up and a challenge! I'm only a medic, and not a super clever non-medic , so I can't comment on how tough everything is.

Sorry I can't be much of help but if you want to ask anything else then please do!

Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    OMG Richard i've just been on your site! You're a low-level monkey! Yay! I had a friend who wrote himself a 'lil OS.
    We learnt *programmin* on pascal but then we had to turn to the dark side and write in VB6 for projects! urgh. They {ICL} sent a form asking what languages we knew: i'm loathed to put VB - its just like writing a bloomin story.
    From what i've read I think our couse is mainly high level tho?!!?
    Is that Fermat's last dooo dah in you site's title!?!?! I remember something about it from maths?!?!

John

ReputationRep:
    OMG Richard i've just been on your site! You're a low-level monkey! Yay! I had a friend who wrote himself a 'lil OS.
    We learnt *programmin* on pascal but then we had to turn to the dark side and write in VB6 for projects! urgh. They {ICL} sent a form asking what languages we knew: i'm loathed to put VB - its just like writing a bloomin story.
    From what i've read I think our couse is mainly high level tho?!!?
    Is that Fermat's last dooo dah in you site's title!?!?! I remember something about it from maths?!?!

John
    Yes, I'm a low-level monkey! We also started with Pascal at college, and we had the option of either Pascal or VB for our coursework. I did mine in VB (yes, I feel ashamed as well), but I think I went way over the top with my coursework due to sheer boredom with it! It had rather powerful encryption and loads of other rather pointless functions, which I built in to while away time in computing lessons after I'd done the basic database stuff.

I haven't received a form asking about programming languages, but that might be as I'm on the joint maths with comp. sci. course. I expect the course is mainly high-level as that's where (nearly) all of the jobs are going to be. I'm not a completely low-level monkey, I also use C++ a lot.

So does your friend have a site with his O/S on? It'd be interesting to see it!

Yeah, there's Fermat's Last Theorem in the logo, I don't know why I put it there, probably just because as it was intriguing me at the time .

They {ICL} sent a form asking what languages we knew
    LOL. I returned a blank form. I could have put 'pseudo' but I don't think they would accept that as a real language

Also as far as a notepad goes I remember the tour guide saying the lecturers give you handouts which are also available on their intranet. Therefore no need to take notes. Yippee.

~Darkness~

ReputationRep:
    I went way over the top with my Cricket Scorebook Analysis Engine for A Level. It could do so many calculations and it used 3d graphics to draw graphs {i set up a 3d coordinate system using Pset() and Line()}. God i need to get out. Then as soon as i learnt parametric equations in maths it could to 3d pie charts. It was so huge and pointless. I got a A for it but the board cut it to a D because I couldnt b arsed to test it, it was too big. Anyhow i had enough marks on previous exams to get an A.
    My mate doesnt have a site. I noticed your site uses ASP! How can u afford to host it on an MS Platform?, i have broadband (and a home network) and i used MS Personal Webserver to Host Websites on an old WIN98 machine. Needless to say it was more open than a whore's draws. And my win98 *server* was probably the most hacked server on the net. I like asp tho, its very readable code.
    I cant be doing with low level - to much like hard work!
    They used to let us make up are own assembly mnemonics (sp) in comp sci.
    John

ReputationRep:
    hehe the darkness
    @[email protected]
    Quote:
    "LOL. I returned a blank form. I could have put 'pseudo' but I don't think they would accept that as a real language"
    @[email protected]
    That being the language where the commands:
    loop until the file is sorted;
    do this while the user wants to enter data;
    sort this list;
    intNumber = the biggest data item in the array

Are all accepted by AQA!
    John

PS I do all my own quotes!

ReputationRep:
    I went way over the top with my Cricket Scorebook Analysis Engine for A Level. It could do so many calculations and it used 3d graphics to draw graphs {i set up a 3d coordinate system using Pset() and Line()}. God i need to get out. Then as soon as i learnt parametric equations in maths it could to 3d pie charts. It was so huge and pointless. I got a A for it but the board cut it to a D because I couldnt b arsed to test it, it was too big. Anyhow i had enough marks on previous exams to get an A.
    LOL, sounds like fun! You should've gone the whole hog and used DirectX/OpenGL for your graphs (or maybe not...)!

My mate doesnt have a site. I noticed your site uses ASP! How can u afford to host it on an MS Platform?
    Do you mean afford in terms of cash? Well if so, I get it free off of someone who I met on the net! It should be costing me quite a bit I think, lol.

, i have broadband (and a home network) and i used MS Personal Webserver to Host Websites on an old WIN98 machine. Needless to say it was more open than a whore's draws. And my win98 *server* was probably the most hacked server on the net. I like asp tho, its very readable code.
    LOL, I like the analogy!

Yes, I don't like VB itself, but I do like ASP. It's far more readable in my opinion than PHP or Perl etc.

I cant be doing with low level - to much like hard work!
    Low-level is beautiful! Complete control of the machine, relying on no one (OK, apart from the BIOS writers and the hardware developers...). Also I love all of the niggling, really difficult to find bugs, which you get with assembly language all of the time, with C++ you don't get that as the compiler just tells you pretty much exactly what's wrong and how to fix it.

They used to let us make up are own assembly mnemonics (sp) in comp sci.
    John
    Yeah, our teacher made some up and then told us to use them for the exam. It was quite annoying as some of his made up ones were different instructions in the 80x86 instruction set, which I'm used to. For example, he invented a CMP (complement) instruction, which negates its operand. But in the 80x86 instructions set, NEG does this, and CMP is the compare instruction.

ReputationRep:
    i'd love to start some low level programming but i dont really kno where to start. I understand all the parts required of the OS (Kernel ect....) but where to start. I have NASM Assembler but I donnt think its been used.
    We had to do some JavaScript crud at A Level and i have never seen a worse *programming* language. Every page you make looks different on every other computer/brower and you have to write to lines of JavaScript for each one line- one for netscape browers and one for the mighty IE.
    Hmm i could of used OpenGl/Direct X but VB can crash all by itself thank you very much - it doesnt need "Error 392 DirectX error" thown it too. . Or my favorite error -the program just drops back down to the desktop! With no error message , just a smugness only microsoft could design.
    If i ever see "Microsoft Jet Engine has suffered a fatal error" again i will personally deface every Microsoft product I every buy.
    i'd love to try C++. Whats visual C++ like?
    John

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.