Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm planning to apply to this uni and I was wondering if transport like a car will be needed to be able to get essential needs or to go to a shopping centre?

ReputationRep:
    You living in catered or self catering?

ReputationRep:
    self catered

ReputationRep:
    Nope, no need. Walking and buses do fine. You will have to pay extra to park your car anyway and not be able to park it on campus at all. No point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blone_bomb)
    Nope, no need. Walking and buses do fine. You will have to pay extra to park your car anyway and not be able to park it on campus at all. No point.
    Then where do the people that do have cars park when they drive to uni?

ReputationRep:
    No one drives to uni. You cant get a permit for campus if you live in Nottingham. End of. You can keep them if you are in the self catered places but you have to pay for the privelage and you cant drive them on to campus. Well you can pay for parking in the visitors car parks but its expensive and not allowed. The only people i know who are going to have cars in the 2nd years are nurses who are on placement half the time, or Physios who have lectures at City Hospital. In the first year i had one friend who kept their car at a friends house in Beeston. That was it. There only use is for shopping etc. which is really easy by bus, cab or walking. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/estate/parking.htm "Students who live in Halls of Residence or who have a term-time address within a radius of 15 miles of University Park are not eligible for a concessionary permit".

ReputationRep:
    I've had a car at notts for 2 years now - Estates arent too strict on clamping if you dont have a permit, but you've got to be clever about where you park. Iv been clamped once in 2 years. However, I brought a car up because I had to do a lot of driving about picking stuff up for Broadgate Park, but the cost of running and keeping a car at Uni is astronomical and just not worth it - keep your car at home, buy a bike and use the money you've saved to get lashed!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the short answer is don't bring a car especially not in first year. Once you have a house with parking then that's different (althogh still, I wouldn't park anything half decent in Lenton etc!).

ReputationRep:
    Do the rules apply to post grads as well?

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I am not trying to be annoying or anything by constantly asking about this but ...

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/educatio...me=car-parking

what I understood from this is that you cannot park your car on campus overnight or anything like that, but you are allowed to park your car during lecture hours. After 5pm, you need to drive your car off campus to say your private accommodation, and that should be fine. Is that right?

Then I read off the link provided above, and im getting mixed messages.

So can we, or can't we park for lecture hours (jubilee or uni park)?

Sorry again, and thanks .

ReputationRep:
    the opposite. You can't park during the day but evenings is usually fine because the car people don't work then. But you have to move it before 9am. Basically don't bring a car. There is no need!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.