The Student Room Group

Edexcel History: American Dream & South Africa 1948-94 9HI0 - 09 & 16 Jun

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SihamC
Hi guys hope revision is going well. Does anybody have a reagan essay structure that they recommend ?

So a brief introduction that sets up your argument, noting similarities and differences. Then talk about extract 1, then extract 2, then a flexi-paragraph of your own knowledge not included in the source and finally a conclusion saying on balance which source you agree with.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by eleanorjlanden
What questions came up??

Post WW2 boom, how did black lives improve 1917-55, how did leisure change 1917-80 I cant remember the other. Also how did Reagan transform the USA
Reply 22
Anyone got any essay plans on America, thanks.
Reply 23
which ones specifically?

Original post by lucasb1
Anyone got any essay plans on America, thanks.
Reply 24
THANKS!

Original post by indysolo98
So a brief introduction that sets up your argument, noting similarities and differences. Then talk about extract 1, then extract 2, then a flexi-paragraph of your own knowledge not included in the source and finally a conclusion saying on balance which source you agree with.
Reply 25
Original post by SihamC
which ones specifically?

Anything on Theme 1 or Theme 3/4. Thanks, would be a massive help.
How did people find the America paper today?
Reply 27
how did everyone find it which questions did you choose?
I did the first question on civil rights leaders and the second on standard of living 1941-80. Found it quite hard, and the second Reagan source was hard to back up with own knowledge.
Reply 29
Original post by Pen ruler
I did the first question on civil rights leaders and the second on standard of living 1941-80. Found it quite hard, and the second Reagan source was hard to back up with own knowledge.

Definitely difficult.
The civil rights question I did too and it tripped me up because it said "explains the success of the movement" so I structured it by doing actions media and then federal intervention and I panicked so much..
The structure was terrible for that one for me and I didnt couter argument properly i just feel like it went horrible.
The reagan question was also difficult -___-
This exam was so so so hard :-( I ran out of time and had 20 minutes to write Reagan which was a crappy question anyway... I did the living standards and civil rights Q too, it didn't feel right at all and I know I should have done better. Makes me feel slightly better how I was not the only one though! Everyone at my school liked it which made me feel even worse :frown:

Are any of you feeling prepared for South Africa? I'm defo giving up with A level history after today haha
Reply 31
Original post by Babs Posh
This exam was so so so hard :-( I ran out of time and had 20 minutes to write Reagan which was a crappy question anyway... I did the living standards and civil rights Q too, it didn't feel right at all and I know I should have done better. Makes me feel slightly better how I was not the only one though! Everyone at my school liked it which made me feel even worse :frown:

Are any of you feeling prepared for South Africa? I'm defo giving up with A level history after today haha

They worded the question really badly, a lot of people in my school said it was crap.
Hopefully low grade boundaries.
I had 20 mins to do reagan too!! and I rused it so much which meant that I didnt put a proper judgement or conclusion.
I didnt even speak about black militancy for q1

Im sooo annoyed I was depending on USA to bump up my grade
Original post by SihamC
They worded the question really badly, a lot of people in my school said it was crap.
Hopefully low grade boundaries.
I had 20 mins to do reagan too!! and I rused it so much which meant that I didnt put a proper judgement or conclusion.
I didnt even speak about black militancy for q1

Im sooo annoyed I was depending on USA to bump up my grade

I didn't get to speak about black militancy either, and just generally did not have the time to say the things I wanted! America was meant to be the easiest one out of all my history exams but l o l

Yeah for Reagan I lit just managed 1 paragraph and some random writing after it ughhhh
What did people put paragraph wise for the war question and civil rigjts?
that was absolute crap - timing was really bad for me everything was so rushed didn't even manage to finish answering a question
How did everyone find the South Africa exam today?
Original post by willjosh21
How did everyone find the South Africa exam today?

Alright it could've been better
The source question was so dumb it spoke about the same things which was difficult but I said that was a limitation as they both highlighted that it was about violence
Urm the q - how significant was the role of key figures in challenging the apartheid policies i did this question
I spoke about;
International condemnation
Winnie Mandela tambo biko
Economics
Peaceful and violent tactics
Original post by Fizzypop123
Alright it could've been better
The source question was so dumb it spoke about the same things which was difficult but I said that was a limitation as they both highlighted that it was about violence
Urm the q - how significant was the role of key figures in challenging the apartheid policies i did this question
I spoke about;
International condemnation
Winnie Mandela tambo biko
Economics
Peaceful and violent tactics

Yeah the source question was difficult, what did you say about the provenance
Reply 38
for the question How significant was the role of key figures in challenging the apartheid policies.

I did - Yes biko
No- botha and botha had a lot of money to spend on defence= not that important and no change was made as a result of the challenges

Yes- Tambo
No- Botha adopted Total strategy and increase police forces.

A lot of people seem to have done it as factors, and im wondering if the way I did is also correct?
Original post by Fizzypop123
Hi guys I'm currently doing A2 history and wanted to create a thread for America and South Africa course because there isn't one hopefully it's helpful!
Wondering how you guys find the course and how you revise

I did the Russia paper2 1894-1924

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending