MissMath2017
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm doing a PGCE in secondary maths at the moment. Since day 1 of my first placement, I've had more reasons to quit teaching than to stay. Unfortunately teaching is the only job I am confident to do.

For 2017, I've decided to make a list of pros to outweigh the cons of teaching after my PGCE. Help, please?

List of cons:

1) The job is as challenging as YOU make it but you still get the same level of appreciation as a lizard in vegan soup.
2) Even the teachers who train me admit that it's the least respected job!
3) Students are so spoon fed that they don't know when to make notes, speak or answer a question. It's like talking to bricks!
4) everyone moans sooooo much, I've caught a bad case of Nothing-Good-Ever-Happens
5) People who say teaching is very rewarding or the best job, usually have nothing substantial to back it up.
6) As a teacher, you are meant to live in fear of students, parents and teachers.
7) You know all those long holidays teachers are meant to have? APPARENTLY ITS TO CATCH UP ON MORE WORK!
8) 8am-3.30pm, my ass!! You stay till atleast 4 if you're a teacher who gives the least amount of ****! 6pm if you actually want to get work done.

PS: I'm doing my PGCE at the moment because I get a 30k grant tax free.
Pup123456
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MissMath2017)
I'm doing a PGCE in secondary maths at the moment. Since day 1 of my first placement, I've had more reasons to quit teaching than to stay. Unfortunately teaching is the only job I am confident to do.

For 2017, I've decided to make a list of pros to outweigh the cons of teaching after my PGCE. Help, please?

List of cons:

1) The job is as challenging as YOU make it but you still get the same level of appreciation as a lizard in vegan soup.
3) Students are so spoon fed that they don't know when to make notes, speak or answer a question. It's like talking to bricks!
4) everyone moans sooooo much, I've caught a bad case of Nothing-Good-Ever-Happens
5) People who say teaching is very rewarding or the best job, usually have nothing substantial to back it up.
6) As a teacher, you are meant to live in fear of students, parents and teachers.
7) You know all those long holidays teachers are meant to have? APPARENTLY ITS TO CATCH UP ON MORE WORK!
8) 8am-3.30pm, my ass!! You stay till atleast 4 if you're a teacher who gives the least amount of ****! 6pm if you actually want to get work done.

I'm a secondary teacher and each year gets easier.
The Pgce is definitely the toughest. After your first you you end up reusing most of your lessons anyway so planning is much quicker.

I only take marking home but do it watching the telly. I don't at home.

Please answer mine?
JaneBaratheon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And a Merry Christmas to you as well.

If you want to teach, then stay. If you don't, then leave. That's the bottom line of a PGCE.
ParadoxSocks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm a teacher and it is an absolutely impossible job with little reward. I stay because my students are amazing human beings and I love learning and teaching. The pay is awful, the conditions are awful and I have work coming out of nowhere with deadlines that were probably last week.

The children are what make it worthwhile for me. If not for them, I'd have quit before I finished my NQT year.
MissMath2017
Rep:
?
(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
I'm a teacher and it is an absolutely impossible job with little reward. I stay because my students are amazing human beings and I love learning and teaching. The pay is awful, the conditions are awful and I have work coming out of nowhere with deadlines that were probably last week.

The children are what make it worthwhile for me. If not for them, I'd have quit before I finished my NQT year.
I'm hoping at some point I teach students like yours, paradox socks
MissMath2017
Rep:
?
(Original post by JaneBaratheon)
And a Merry Christmas to you as well.

If you want to teach, then stay. If you don't, then leave. That's the bottom line of a PGCE.
Hahaha! A bit grim for Christmas, I know. But I felt I needed some help & figured it may be better talking about it than bottling it up.
MissMath2017
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pup123456)
I'm a secondary teacher and each year gets easier.
The Pgce is definitely the toughest. After your first you you end up reusing most of your lessons anyway so planning is much quicker.

I only take marking home but do it watching the telly. I don't at home.

Please answer mine?
That's the worst part surely? Having to take work home with you? Knowing full well it's expected of you but not appreciated.
Pup123456
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's the worst part surely? Having to take work home with you? Knowing full well it's expected of you but not appreciated.

It depends on how organised you are. And in my school it's not an expectation. It really does depend on your school.
You can mark in free periods, or you could choose to stay an hour each day, which considering you finish at 3.30 ish is fine!
fefssdf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm considering doing the secondary PGCE for maths after my maths degree but currently only in my first year ; any advice in terms of applying ect ? Also is it true that if you wanna do a PGCE for maths you only need a 2:2 cause I can't see myself getting more than a 2:2 tbh
fefssdf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ParadoxSocks)

You say the pay is awful so I'm interested ; how much do you earn per year after tax ? I'm considering teaching as a career so I'd like to know how much they get paid
Pup123456
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fefssdf)
I'm considering doing the secondary PGCE for maths after my maths degree but currently only in my first year ; any advice in terms of applying ect ? Also is it true that if you wanna do a PGCE for maths you only need a 2:2 cause I can't see myself getting more than a 2:2 tbh
That's fine for many universities. Although the grants should motivate you to get higher! It's a lot of money. I think for a 1:1 it's £25k at the moment.
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

List of cons:

primary or secondary?

how did you get the grant?
fefssdf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
[QUOTE=Pup123456;69214734]That's fine for many universities. Although the grants should motivate you to get higher! It's a lot of money. I think for a 1:1 it's £25k at the moment.[/QUOTE/]
Ah I see that's decent
samina_ay
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
After your PGCE, teach abroad? That's my plan. Britain is miserable af.
StayEvergreen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am doing a PGCE in SEN. I certainly am tempted to not to teach after my PGCE. I love teaching, but I've also got to look after myself and I don't think that the pay-off is necessarily worth it. There is a lot more to teaching than the act of teaching and it seems to create a lot of issues for teachers. No idea what I'll do and the idea of teaching not working out is a bit gutting, but having done various bits with education over the last 3 years and being out of schools and away from all the paper pushing ******** that being in schools entails is something that seems strangely liberating. At the moment the working conditions are too poor for teachers and as someone who has had issues with my mental health, it is most important that I look after myself.

Equally, however, it is worth thinking back to why you started teaching in the first place. If you have the option, teaching abroad seems to do a lot of people well and has a lot of the perks, without many of the UK based issues.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pup123456)
a 1:1
no British university separates the first class into divisions.
Pup123456
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cambio wechsel)
no British university separates the first class into divisions.
Right
beanbrain
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

List of cons:

Whilst I will not be the first person to say it, teaching is never going to be a profession that people do for the paycheck. As a job in a public service, it will always command a lower wage than it should for the hours and stress the job requires.

On a similar note, I struggle to think of any job where you are appreciated and respected by the majority of the population. If you want a job where people are constantly praising and thanking you, I can't think of any job that would suit you.

However, whilst I agree about the workload and the long hours needed to do a decent amount of work, I really do love my job. I am a primary NQT and teach in a small school that is situated in a deprived area. I adore my class, we have a lot of fun and they are making some great progress. For the most part, the parents are lovely to me. And whilst there is a lot of moaning in the staffroom, my headteacher is always quick to thank people for their efforts.

I guess what makes my job worthwhile is the school I work in. I work my backside off, I spend 11 hours a day in school and often have an hour or two of work to do over the weekend. But I choose to manage the workload that way and generally teachers are able to find their own balance and way of managing.

Positives: I have fun every single day; I am regularly told I am doing well and given good feedback; the parents and children are friendly and respectful; I know that, whatever I do and no matter who notices, I make a difference every single day. But I only get those positives because I work in the right school and I don't expect constant praise, love and adoration (not that you do, but often I find that disappointment is born of overly high expectations)
AfricanPrinceXI
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

List of cons:

Just leave, you won;t regret it. They say 50% drop out in Maths after thier NQT nationally. Yet even when I speak to those who stay - they bloody hate it. Others have a hope of moving up to SLT or getting a TLR which means less classes. OR they get to teach Yr11 exam classes (top set) or sixth formers - much easier to handle.

Year on year teachers come and go because some of us have to be given the trash at the bottom of the pile and it's nightmarish. NQT - much more classes! 90% Timetable and triple the stress. Don;t die young - GET OUT

NOW!
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Evidently there is a shortage of maths teachers. Enjoy the big bursary as best as you can by doing what makes you happy.

I am training to teach in FE and the aim is to teach evening courses and do tutoring. I gave it some thought years before making a decision and the demands dumped on full time secondary teachers are just too vast.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (70)
27.13%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.85%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.84%

Watched Threads