Turn on thread page Beta

If God doesn't exist then I feel so alone. watch

ReputationRep:
    I am not revealing my religion in this post because it does not matter. I don't want a religious debate.

I can't say I've had a real, true spiritual experience that makes me 100% believe God is there protecting me and that is the truth.I have felt comforted after prayer.

I have certainly prayed a lot recently for God to show me something, anything that lets me know he is there protecting me.

I am going through a scary patch with my health and other life worries, I'm honestly very terrified and anxieties are running high. I can't stop think about my potential death in the near future, and that fuels a lot of emotions that make me wonder if there is a God and why he would allow such things to happen to me (or anyone for that matter).

I've seen before my own eyes devote religious people ending up incurable illnesses, I don't understand it.

Idk. I just felt like writing all this out. I'm just struggling at the moment, I would love to speak to some people who do believe in God, I think it would help a little .

Idk. Anyone is free to post whatever they want here, but please if you can say something helpful to my situation, it would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    God does exist. I am sorry you are going through this. I could recommend CS Lewis' "The Problem of Pain" or Spencer W Kimball's "The Miracle of Forgiveness". I could point out that even Jesus, in his most difficult time, looked up to Heaven and asked "Why hast thou forsaken me"?

But none of those matter. Just know you aren't alone. Don't feel you have to bottle things up. This will pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    God does exist.
    Prove it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student1856)
    Prove it.
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    God does exist. I am sorry you are going through this. I could recommend CS Lewis' "The Problem of Pain" or Spencer W Kimball's "The Miracle of Forgiveness". I could point out that even Jesus, in his most difficult time, looked up to Heaven and asked "Why hast thou forsaken me"?

But none of those matter. Just know you aren't alone. Don't feel you have to bottle things up. This will pass.
    Thank you, I do gain comfort from prayer so I shall continue it. May I just ask, are there certain instances in your life that have formed your strong belief? You don't have to state anything. I'm just curious.

Thank you for your kind words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringDentist1)
    Thank you, I do gain comfort from prayer so I shall continue it. May I just ask, are there certain instances in your life that have formed your strong belief? You don't have to state anything. I'm just curious.

Sure. Just like everyone has faced a "long, dark night of the soul". Mother Theresa talked about times when God seemed very far away. CS Lewis. St. John.

And even the most staunch atheist has faced a moment when God seemed almost right there. We are defined by those moments, when our world is falling apart. We all face our challenges.

I have faced health issues, feel lost and lonely and afraid. And you know what always comes closest to breaking me, spiritually? The mindless, humdrum banality of the every day. That is my struggle.

ReputationRep:
    And even the most staunch atheist has faced a moment when God seemed almost right there.
    Interesting statement, source?

ReputationRep:
    I am not revealing my religion in this post because it does not matter. I don't want a religious debate.

I can't say I've had a real, true spiritual experience that makes me 100% believe God is there protecting me and that is the truth.I have felt comforted after prayer.

I have certainly prayed a lot recently for God to show me something, anything that lets me know he is there protecting me.

I am going through a scary patch with my health and other life worries, I'm honestly very terrified and anxieties are running high. I can't stop think about my potential death in the near future, and that fuels a lot of emotions that make me wonder if there is a God and why he would allow such things to happen to me (or anyone for that matter).

I've seen before my own eyes devote religious people ending up incurable illnesses, I don't understand it.

Idk. I just felt like writing all this out. I'm just struggling at the moment, I would love to speak to some people who do believe in God, I think it would help a little .

Idk. Anyone is free to post whatever they want here, but please if you can say something helpful to my situation, it would be much appreciated.
    The idea of a God comforts you, that's fine.
    A dreamy world of imaginative fantasy is fine for this rough patch then come back to reality after tho.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

I'd just like to throw two things out there:

1. Having real/true spiritual experiences doesn't necessarily make things better, make one happier, or leave one any less confused. Mother Teresa has already been mentioned on this thread but she is a good example of someone who had spiritual experiences early on in life but then experienced great spiritual aridity for almost 50 years after that. I've not read the recent books that revealed this to the general public about her spiritual struggles, but safe to say it cannot have been easy for her and she must have doubted many times, I'd imagine!

2. Secondly, whilst I am very sorry to hear of your ongoing health problems, the mystery of why there is suffering in the world is just that: a mystery! Saint Pope John Paul II wrote a whole encyclical (long Papal document thing) on suffering and he didn't have an answer for it, and he was leader of the biggest Christian denomination in the world! :eek: So I highly doubt you are going to get any satisfactory answers to those kinda questions on TSR :nah:

Some people make the mistake of thinking that having faith makes life feel easier somehow, but you and I and countless others are living proof that that is far from the case :iiam:

Finally, if you're a Christian, remember the Footprints prayer-poem. If you're not a Christian and haven't come across it, maybe read it. God is always there - we just can't always see/feel Him :jebus:

Wishing you all the best and praying for some peace of mind for you :hugs:

ReputationRep:

I am not converting you into a Muslim or making you an atheist but first things first, remove any bias or previous ideas about religion or God you have until you have read this.

I will not debate on this thread. However, when you ask "why he would allow such things to happen", know that a debate from your religion is required. Nevertheless, I would like to share my route when I was feeling this way.

-------

Firstly, I was born a Muslim but I felt like I had no choice due to my family and community who would say stuff like:
    It is a test! Do you know about how many men of God/prophets/messengers went through scary patches with my health and other life worries? In fact, prophet Muhammad (PBUH) died terribly sick.

I mean they said had many good points that I will not bring up here for the sake of staying on topic but it all stood on the assumption that Allah (God well for me at least) exists.

As a result, it was one of many factors that lead me to become an atheist and not that it is a bad thing but for me I just found that feeling is not enough I needed to know so I remained one for a while until I did two things:
    1) finally stopped asking "why" to let out my emotions
    2) and started genuinely look for the answers

Therefore, I looked in to philosophy and just kept learning beyond just that eventually but nonetheless I came to see that it is illogical for me to remain an Atheist. However, finding out about the nature of God let alone returning was a far longer process. I simply kept studying to disprove or ensure my belief and it made my belief stronger. It depends and it is up to you.

In other words, I am saying you should educate yourself on:
    What God is
    How God can and cannot exist (arguments for and against)
    Nature of God if he does
    And perhaps nature/perspectives/ and reasons on evil and death

Note that I told you my path to my reasoning or didn't tell you exactly why I did what I did not because there is too much, but more so for the reason that the journey is a one of unbiased understanding and it may you lead you to a different destination. It is just for me that I ended up a Muslim so I do still recommend you educate yourself on the 4 aforementioned points from Islams standpoint but do it from a philosophical (unassuming including religion) point of view then whatever your religion is first.

I hope that helps
    Salaam

ReputationRep:
    So sorry to hear that.

I would like to share few things with you and fellow participants in this discussion.

I believe God does exist, but each and every individual need to encounter him and prove that individually.

It is no surprise that regardless of your faith, race, colour whatever, we face problems and challenges on a daily basis.

All through the bible, we have had people (christ's followers) who suffered, some were delivered some were not.

The 3 Hebrew children, Paul and Silas, Peter, Paul and most of the apostles suffered.

I keep wondering why there was storm in the boat when the disciples where travelling with Jesus in the sea, Some wondered why Jesus did not show up on time before Lazarus died.

I can only draw a conclusion from here that sometimes, The Lord allows problems to draw us nearer to him, to allow himself to be glorified and sometimes we do not make it out of this problems like apostle Paul or even Steven who was stoned to death.

I particularly like the boldness of the 3 hebrew children who would not compromise and were ready to die even if the Lord would not deliver them because they had a great hope of the great beyond where they would go.

Here is an encouragement from James1: 1-3 :

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
    2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

One thing I like about fellowship is the good thing about encouragement, where one can meet people who can share similar experiences(s) with one on how they overcame their challenges.

ReputationRep:

True, I remember going through a difficult time last year in uni, struggling with so many deadlines, pressures here and there and my life felt meaningless. I felt helpless and hopless think God was very very far away. But I am so greatful for this guy I met in uni, he just encouraged me to praise God,. Behold all my problems melted away.

Sometimes we have problems and we pray about it and they keep mounting. But I tell you singing praises leads to deliverance (brings to my mind paul and silas' story from the bible)

ReputationRep:
    whether or not a fact makes you feel alone doesn't make that fact go away :/
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    The thought of death is indeed difficult to cope with.

But God doesn't exist. Sorry to shatter your delusion.

ReputationRep:

Believe in what ever makes you feel better. If believing in God gives you comfort then don't let anybody take that away from you. I hope your situation improves. Pm if ya need to talk

ReputationRep:
    God does not exist. I am glad you have come to your senses. I could recommend Christopher Hitchens' "God Is Not Great" or A. C. Grayling's "The GOD Argument". I could point out that there have been countless numbers of "Gods" believed in throughout human history.

But none of those matter. Just know you aren't alone. You have your family, your friends and 7 billion others living on this planet alongside you.

ReputationRep:

Feeling alone isn't a good enough reason to believe in God.Feeling alone is just part of being human.
    If God does exist then quite frankly he is doing a lousy job. Christians like to compare God to a father but he's more like a deadbeat father who creates children but then doesn't stick around.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry GOD really does exist so no need to feel lonely. Atheists will try convince you that GOD doesn't exist but don't pay any attention to them.

ReputationRep:

We simply cannot know why God does what He does. His ways are not our ways. As Isaiah 55 vs 8 to 9 says
    8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
    9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts"

You cannot use sickness/diseases that happen to people in the World to justify that there is no God, for Him to allow this suffering to continue/ sometimes to believers. Only God knows why injustice in the World/suffering/diseases occur.
    I have gone through my share of troubles too, and cried unto God asking why He should let this happen to me. I was even angry with Him. After the troubles, I realized that it was for my own good and that Jesus knew best and was even glad for the troubles because it made me a better person compared to if I had not gone through it all. Sometimes God makes us go through troubles to change us/ bring us closer to Him or for His glorification. We as humans simply just have to give thanks in all things (1 Thessalonians 5 vs 18). I especially love ThatOldGuy's reply, if Jesus the Son of the Most High God, could go through trials and tribulations who are we to complain? As the Bible says in John 16 vs 33 "these things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world" Op, I would advice you to read the Bible, spend time in reading it, praying and fasting to know God more. He truly is a loving and great God.

I would rather believe in Jesus than spend eternity in regret/suffering. No one on here has had a death experience/ seen the after life. I would rather believe wholeheartedly in the Bible than what some Oxford/Cambridge et al/ atheist say about God than be sorry in the afterlife. Better safe than sorry.

God bless you for this.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.