Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm really stuck on getting advice on the ins and outs of being an Archi student at Nottingham Uni. So, I'm starting my K100 course in september, I've just received a HUGE list of things to buy and pay for.. I calculated it to be approx. £2000. I shouldn't be so shocked but I am.

Okay, so if you've got any advice or shortcuts please let me know especially if you were first year recently. I have to buy a ton of stationery and stuff, all of the highest quality, so drawing boards £115, a state of the art laptop (there are strict specification guidelines) and drawing pens £20 each etc..
    Are there anythings that I wouldn't really need, so I can focus on buying the other stuff. Also, does anyone here want to get rid of some of the things they used last year like the "VISUAL NOTES FOR ARCHITECTS & DESIGNERS.." book. I would be willing to purchase them.

Any other tips are welcome of course!

ReputationRep:
    R u jokin £2,000 i dont have that kind of money lol. na listen you dont have to buy everything on the list its jst suggesting what to buy. I did pharmacy lst year in notts and same we had a list and calcualting the cost came up to £600, i fought i aint payin that and then i ended spending onli £200 and got everything i need. And books and stuff u can buy second hand cause usually they have second hand sales and stuff. hope thats kinda helpes .

Oh but can i ask u have u received anything from the uni, regarding architecture cause i havent received anything yet.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't heard anything either yet, but I was thinking that we might after we register next week?

ReputationRep:
    hey i do arch will be in second year at notts i went to uni with nothing wasnt prepared really! but you should get some of the stuff as it may be cheaper in advance but u dont need all the stuff i reccomend buying the stuff as u require them at uni essentials include the portfolio and its sleeves pencils the rotring pens set square scale rule etc and log books which are those a4 hardback sketchbooks that aprently need to be black
    the books i baught one and gave up reading it there is no need for alot of them

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God, can no architecture students write at all?

On another note, OP, don't buy too much stuff before you get to uni, see what you can find on unicycleit.com, and when you've done a few weeks you'll know what you really need to buy. I don't think my architecture student friends had loads of archi kit before they arrived.

ReputationRep:
    heya! im startin in september too, so soon!! sorry this mite b a bit late for u but i got most of my stuff on:
    http://www.graphicsdirect.co.uk/
    i got a good named drawing board for about £70 and theres a pack of 3 rotring pens for bout £30 etc.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.