Jane Austen Books

Watch this thread
Emilylloyd9
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi Everyone,
Merry Christmas!

I am wanting to read one of the Jane Austen books for my English lit but don't know which one to read based on how good it is etcc.

Out of this selection please could someone recommend to me which one would be most beneficial in helping with my old English language skills and is also quite interesting.
Either,
-Pride and Prejudiced
-Emma
-Northanger Abbey
-Mansfield Park
-Sense and Sensibility

Thank you , Emily
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Pride and Prejudice is the most popular, probably because it seems most in tune with today's society. I'd try that first.
Brief resume of what I can remember of them, bearing in mind I read some of them many years ago and I am an engineer, not an Eng Lit person.
Pride and Prejudice. Feisty heroine and witty heroine. Much filmed - you could try a film first as they stick closely to the plot and lift whole chunks of dialogue.
Emma. Jane Austen is on record saying that Emma was her favourite heroine, but it lacks the comparative drama and witty dialogue of P&P. Basically it takes Emma 400 pages to discover shes not nearly as clever as she thinks she is. Some brilliantly drawn characters.
Northanger Abbey is a take-off of gothic novels of Jane Austen's time. If you've never read one you'll miss half the point,
Mansfield Park. Haven't read it since I was about 16. I found Fanny, the heroine, unbearably wet and irritating.
Sense and Sensibility. Based round 2 sisters. There's a good film of it you could start with with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson as the sisters. Emma Thompson also wrote the screenplay and got an Oscar for it.
Persuasion. Probably my second favourite.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (40)
26.32%
As I expected (49)
32.24%
Harder (56)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.61%

Watched Threads